Which will be better for longer reliability...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe once

But like lbz said, mabe used it once a ride, most of the time just normal 4x4

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100 %, prefer to let slip if needed

Correct me if I'm wrong here. But canam has visco lock which does what it needs to do when it feels like/theres no 'on and off button' for it. Yami/suzuki/cat have button diff lock type things that you can't engage when your rolling, and brute forces have a lever which you can ride like a wet clutch on a street bike?

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong here. But canam has visco lock which does what it needs to do when it feels like/theres no 'on and off button' for it. Yami/suzuki/cat have button diff lock type things that you can't engage when your rolling, and brute forces have a lever which you can ride like a wet clutch on a street bike?

You stand corrected,..... there is a switch for it, to place it in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, ( use front lock or not ) also, there is 2 flavors of visco lock, the original and the QE Visco lock, the difference is 2-3 rotations (Visco lock) to a quarter rotation, (QE Visco Lock, I have the Quarter rotation, before 4 wheel drive engages, ... and will release when you let your foot of the pedal, .... it has never let me down yet, and seems to work fine for me.

On the other hand, there is an aftermarket electrical/mechanical locker made for the Can-Am ATV-UTV(s), Called "Halo Locker", giving you full frontal lock when required by the push of a button, or the flip of a lever. depending on your preference...

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too hard to steer locked up and some of the bikes on your list have a speed limiter sensor , when your front diff is in full lock.
Way to much stoping and starting for me.....and way to hard on the bike turning if you keep it locked up.....imo

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about diff lock I am surprised you have put more thought into the one one brand with a real 4x4 system. Go get yourself a 550 sportsman and be done with it. I have a 850 and and my dad has a 550 and both have been awesome machines. My dads got around 4800 km on his and still on the stock belt not one thing done to it but services. My 850 has had a little more than maintenance but its been drowned once and i run the chit out it and its still runs great. found out out on sat even with the 30 inch tires on it i can still pull away from a brute like nothing,

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true...but wouldnt ya just lock in before anyways...i know i would!
Yes as rzr said, way to hard to ride locked, crap my buddy has rolled his quad many times turning around cause he forgot it locked up

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true...but wouldnt ya just lock in before anyways...i know i would!

Well, you have to come to a full stop to lock it in before the hole. Then, you have to come to a full stop to disengage it after. It's a bit of a pain. It turns out most people actually don't need it very often, but when you do, it would be really nice to be able to manually engage it on the fly. For that reason I like the idea of the Kawi lever, but I have no idea how well they actually work.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can Am and Brute guys don't worry about diff lock....and they don't have to worry about wounding their fellow riders with axle shrapnel either. An all too real concern with Polaris. For reliability, I would recommend to the OP a Yammy to be honest.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can Am and Brute guys don't worry about diff lock....and they don't have to worry about wounding their fellow riders with axle shrapnel either. An all too real concern with Polaris. For reliability, I would recommend to the OP a Yammy to be honest.

Haters gonna hate, over 5000km on my 850 all original axles, running 30's. but the one brute i ride with has snapped one and hes only got 26 plug lites.

some people have no idea. but if the op is dead set on not getting a polaris then i vote yamaha, i have always rode their bikes and had good luck, and my tri moto trike is the cats azz.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate, over 5000km on my 850 all original axles, running 30's. but the one brute i ride with has snapped one and hes only got 26 plug lites.

some people have no idea. but if the op is dead set on not getting a polaris then i vote yamaha, i have always rode their bikes and had good luck, and my tri moto trike is the cats azz.
No hate. Witnessed with my own eyes many, many, many Rzr and XP axle "trail fixes".

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The popo axles are designed to be the week link. They break before the diff or worse....on a canam you need new clutching .... They all need help in a few areas....pretty tuff to lift a canam with out adding new axles . I can lift an XP for couple of hundred bucks.....what does it cost to lift a canam 3 inchs ?

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The popo axles are designed to be the week link. They break before the diff or worse....on a canam you need new clutching .... They all need help in a few areas....pretty tuff to lift a canam with out adding new axles . I can lift an XP for couple of hundred bucks.....what does it cost to lift a canam 3 inchs ?
I dunno. I got an 8 yr old BF. So one would lift an XP, knowing that the axles are already "designed to be the weak link"? Would that "couple of hundred bucks" increase as one had to purchase more axles?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol the point is there are way more lifted popos because it is cheaper to lift them....hence more broken axles! Any axles break with big tires and throttle....the reason you see more broken RZR axles is there are 20 times more rzrs out there.... Than any other machine....axles > drivers alility, or lack there of.......

Back to the point, I would put my 850 XP up against a brute / canam any day... And YES I have owned all three brands , multiple times ...Jmo !

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a lifted 850 xp 30 inch zillas. 4500 km only broke 1 front axle. Ran only stock axles.
Drove the crap out of that quad.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time someone i ride with starts raise chit about polaris (usually cause they jealous cause i just spanked them and all they got left is their mouth) I say watch when we are on our ride to day and count how many of what you see and it never fails you roll into a popular spot and theres 20 sxs and 18 of them are polaris. same with quads its usually pretty close between can am and polaris.

I love this forum some one asks a question, people start answering, and as soon as one person doesn't agree pull the popcorn out stop working. the last two pages are all cause i put a vote in for polaris and someone said no stop you're wrong my brute is better.

Ride what ever tickles your pickle they are all junk and they all brake. some are just better than others "polaris cough cough"

Top Bottom