Where would you go?

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im heading out to find somthing new in life,need a change,Im a heavy equipment operator with lot of experience so finding work is gotta be in the equation,not really sure where I wanna go so Im open to hear any opinions on where you would go or where you live,If you were me would you take your sled with you?Im thinking from Albetra west,north south dont matter,never lived in a big city but hey who no's,I know its kinda wierd to be asking but there is lots of people in alot of areas on here.Putting all my stuff in storage for now till I find somewhere and travelling light,anyways what do you think,Am I crazy or what?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did just that many many years ago and never regretted it. You did not mention if you have a family or not but I assume that is not the case. So best of luck to you and have fun at it! One thing to note is I tried the Calgary thing and could not wait to come back to BC. This was just my experience and not saying everyones. Something about the mountains!

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im heading out to find somthing new in life,need a change,Im a heavy equipment operator with lot of experience so finding work is gotta be in the equation,not really sure where I wanna go so Im open to hear any opinions on where you would go or where you live,If you were me would you take your sled with you?Im thinking from Albetra west,north south dont matter,never lived in a big city but hey who no's,I know its kinda wierd to be asking but there is lots of people in alot of areas on here.Putting all my stuff in storage for now till I find somewhere and travelling light,anyways what do you think,Am I crazy or what?

Jim your leaving the Island???? If you run heavy equipment then you may want to look at Fort Mac, just remember I left there and moved to the Island lol..... When you looking at doing this new journey? If there are no strings you can do as you want where you want, and could prove to be quite lucrative for you.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did just that many many years ago and never regretted it. You did not mention if you have a family or not but I assume that is not the case. So best of luck to you and have fun at it! One thing to note is I tried the Calgary thing and could not wait to come back to BC. This was just my experience and not saying everyones. Something about the mountains!

what he said... try Sparwood... big mine lots of need for your srvice

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with whatever you decide. With the background in running equipment you would have no problems finding work.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jim your leaving the Island???? If you run heavy equipment then you may want to look at Fort Mac, just remember I left there and moved to the Island lol..... When you looking at doing this new journey? If there are no strings you can do as you want where you want, and could prove to be quite lucrative for you.
Ya things arent very bussy around here,machines are paid off but arent making alot,enough to get by but not getting ahead,ex gave me afew big bills to pay off so I thought Id get away for awhile,plus Ive been here forever so I go see whats out there,if I dont like it Ill come back.Im looking forward to the adventure,keep the thoughts comming,Thanks Jim

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've lived across the country, started out on the East Coast, lived in Ab when I was too young to remember, lived in various cities/towns out East. Took a chance to live in Colorado over 12 years ago and loved it. Moved back and ended up in Vancouver, tried out Toronto, Montreal, and landed in Calgary. I can't wait to get back to living in the mountains.

For my lifestyle, I would love to live in the Kootenay's. Only issue is finding employment in something I specialize in. Kinda hard. I've tried a few different employment options as well and went back to what I know.

You might want to look into something like the rail industry. I tried it, but I was stuck behind a desk in a cubicle. Not for me. CP Rail is going to need to fill a lot of positions over the next few years. Good pension and good pay for people who don't mind a little hard work.

I didn't go up North. I liked the flexability of my current situation. I pick my days off. Nothing against anyone who works the patch. I am jealous of my friends who always seem to have money to blow but they certainly don't always enjoy it.

Any of the construction going on is contracted by groups like Ledcor, Ellis Don and such, or atleast S.AB and Eastern BC. AB wages tend to be a little better, less sales tax.

If I was smarter about it and more dedicated to it, I could likely put myself in a better position and make the geographical changes I want, but at the same time I don't want to give up all the perks I have now. Do what makes you happy at the end of the day.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pick up a camp job up near fort mcmurry and work shifts. Once you get used to the life, find a home outside of fort mac because its way to expensive. I live in Boyle, about 2.5hrs south. My company is currently hiring skilled operators, fax your resume to 780-689-3808. You can check out our website at www.tri-genconstruction.com.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does not matter where ya go in Alberta or B.C. western Canada is the best place to live imo. as for work related the money is in little newfoundland but the life definitly isn't. no ties in bc?, do the ft mac thing for 5-10 living in a camp and retire kinda like a jail sentance but when you get out you wont need to work. the have your fun with the toys. lol very tough decision tomake but if you make the wrong one by the sounds of it not a big deal as just change it a try again.
nice...................

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pick up a camp job up near fort mcmurry and work shifts. Once you get used to the life, find a home outside of fort mac because its way to expensive. I live in Boyle, about 2.5hrs south. My company is currently hiring skilled operators, fax your resume to 780-689-3808. You can check out our website at www.tri-genconstruction.com.

summer job? count me in sir!!!im serious i love work

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does not matter where ya go in Alberta or B.C. western Canada is the best place to live imo. as for work related the money is in little newfoundland but the life definitly isn't. no ties in bc?, do the ft mac thing for 5-10 living in a camp and retire kinda like a jail sentance but when you get out you wont need to work. the have your fun with the toys. lol very tough decision tomake but if you make the wrong one by the sounds of it not a big deal as just change it a try again.
nice...................
Will be able to retire early IF you can keep your money away from booze, drugs, women, and to many toys. Plenty of guys who go up there for 21 days, come back for 7 and are broke......Or people who work up there for years and still live with their parents because they are broke from the above things. The only reason you make so much money up there is working like 21 12 hour shifts and so much overtime. Work that in the city, and you won't be that far off with that money.

Fort mac is good to go up make money and leave. Living up there is no benefit as cost of living is so high it's pretty much a wash. But really, there is good money to be had nearly anywhere in alberta, edmonton and calgary has plenty of good paying jobs.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hey man sorry kinda being nosey but i noticed on your web site all the snow cats you guys have. what do you use them for mainly>>

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Further to the Sparwood idea, look at the eastern Kootenay's (Elkford, Sparwood, Fernie, etc.). 5 big mines and lots of work for operators. Cost of living is much cheaper than most of BC and the back-country recreation is almost second to none (you will miss the ocean part of your life). Lots of guys from the area get disgruntled and try the Ft. Mac thing, some like it, most don't. Working 12 hour shifts with 4 and 4 is an option most guys really like and the overtime is also nice if you have goals to achieve (like new toys or holidays). The other nice option in this corner of BC; tax free Alberta is close! I really like that scenario.....

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im on my quest,Im in the okanogan,Im staying in Sumerland till maybe monday,hoping to get out for a ride.Anyone riding or know were a good spot to go around here?

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck Jim too bad we never hooked up for an island ride before ya left.

Top Bottom