Where to purchase skidoo in States?

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
The warranty issue happens once there is a change in the country of origin....

Example:
Buy a sled in the US and come to Canada, riding in Revy and it blows up, yes a dealer here will work on it and honor warranty. Same for us if riding in the States. Simple concept.

Now when you buy it in the US and IMPORT it into Canada, warranty in the US AND CANADA are both VOID. You cannot even take it back to the US for warranty. Dodge trucks are exactly the same...

Had 3 engines changed on warranty three years ago in Washington with no problems. Just wondering if it's changed since then.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Live in Alberta and looking to purchase a new Skidoo in the states. I persumed a dealer in Montana as that is the closest. What dealership and what tips do you guys have, that have been through this before.
Try sports city cyclery they have been good to deal with in the past........most times they send the bill to the boarder for ya so as the wait time at the boarder is nill..(72hr prior to crossing).........I have sent the payment got a faxed copy of th bill and drove down picked it up drove back crossed and riding next day after inspection insurance and registration.....painless really

on the fence

Reaction score
I don't think that brp really cares about where you buy a sled, quad etc. they want the numbers to tell the market who is number one in sales. what they don't tell the market is how shitty they setup your sled and you have to go buy belts and do there R&D on clutching and gearing for them. Sales is one thing service is another will sell and not service.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
This thread has certainly been eye opening for me. What the F is the deal with skidoo not honoring warranty cross boarders? A BRP product is a BRP product. Bottom line... They need to back their products. It's insane for you guys to be paying more to buy your sleds in Cananda when it's a freaking Canadian company. It should be the other way around. We should be paying more down here. Not that I want to, but that would make more since to me.
As far as the dealer relationship goes. Dealers have gotten why out of control with this bullchit. I have a great relationship with my local dealer and it's paid off but I don't necessarily agree with how they treat others that bring sleds in that they bought elsewhere. I've watched the owner of the dealership give people chit about it and really be pissed about it. Not just joking around or trying to drop a subtle comment either.
I've watched the dealers charge people for chit that I don't pay for because I bought my sled there and the other guy didn't. I think that's bullchit. When they work on my sled they bill it out to skidoo as warranty work, and charge the other guy for the same work. Are they charging the guy, and THEN BILLING skidoo for warranty work and getting paid for the job twice?
Just saying. Skidoo needs to look at their warranty and their dealerships and make sure that people are getting taken care of the way that the owner of a BRP product should be taken care of.
In my opinion, the way that all this chit goes down makes skidoo and their dealers look bad.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we had a dealer in Burns Lake I would'nt think about going anywhere else. I got top notch service there! Now I am forced to deal with Prince George or smithers. I can't say either dealer is great to deal with and I would say I will be going down south for my next one. I can stay at my sister's in the okanagen and only be into it for fuel. More than likely my next one will be a 1200 with a turbo so warranty is gone anyways. I did some pricing out and I could save $3800 buying the identical 1200 from the states. To me that is almost a month worth of take home pay, so to me I don't feel like working close to a month for a dealer that does'nt give two shizz about me. In saying that though I do feel sorry for the good dealers that provide good customer service. It is pretty much impossible for these dealers to compete with us prices. I would imagine if the dealer is providing good service though they probably don't have many customers straying south.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy anything pretty much cheaper in the states right now cheaper than here jeans,tv's,cars,motorcycles,snowmobiles,boats.....the list could go on and on.Hell we could all leave every weekend and head down with our shopping list on the weekends and bring it all back.
We would save all this money.then maybe one day when we want to go sledding and need some oil? or a belt and it is on a friday evening we head over to our local dealer to pick it up to get our weekend of sledding rolling we find a boarded up dealership....your wife wants a new pair of jeans and that store is closed.....Now you have to stay home for the weekend because you couldn't get your parts with a bitchy wife :)
Even though saving a few bucks seems great at the time it does make an impact.
BUT it is your money spend it as you like...

Here's my problem with Ski-doo (and to make it clear, I bought mine brand new from a local dealer). Our dollar has been floating around par for years now, and we are still getting soaked for the sleds and parts. The local dealers are almost (and I stress almost) as much of a victim as we are. They are paying more for the sleds and parts from BRP, and are forced to charge us more to try to make a buck. I have not heard one believable excuse from BRP as to why in 2011 the price is not the same in Canada as the USA. In fact, I don't know if I have heard any excuses at all in the last 2 years. My 2cents...

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some non current 2010 Summit 146 x e/s in black for 10 598+gst, 1 year warrenty, I have 1 that is not e/s for $ 500 less.......Canadian dealer........

The sad thing is that we have to look at non current models to even come close to the current model price in the states. This does not make sense with the dollar the way it is. I know that it is not the dealer's fault, and that it is BRP selling the units to the dealer way too high, it just sucks.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
For what it's worth, I've talked to a lot of skidoo dealers in the states. I used to buy 30+ sleds a season to rent out. According to dealers they make very little money on the sales of the actual units. They make all of their money on parts and service. Personally, I think they are full of chit. If one dealer is charging $13,000.00, but another dealership is offering the same sled for $8,000.00 then someone is full of chit. Dealers might sell to get rid of inventory, especially if they hold a loan on their inventory, but they aren't going to sell at a loss.
On the other side of that, if the dealerships make all there money on service, then why don't they give good customer service to EVERYONE that walks through the door? If that is there bread and butter, then take care of those that are paying their bills, regardless of where they bought the sled.

OverHeight

Reaction score
SOMEONE SHOW ME THE FACTS. and i mean paperwork paperwork. i have a quote sitting in front of me for a brand new 2011 summit 154. sooo prove how much you can save!!

and dont get me wrong im not goint to hate on you for buying in the US. i jsut think some of you are a little high on your prices because i know your not getting a 2011 summit for 6 grand. and if you can i will HAPPILY eat my words

Out of interest what is the price you were quoted? Everest or X?

OverHeight

Reaction score
Ok I needed to find this out for me and the original poster. I called BRP and they confirmed that your warranty is only applicable in the country that you bought it. Unless you fill out a dealer form for cross boarder entitlement. And for that you need proof of residency. (utility bill)
From that point the warranty follows the vehicle and to a new owner if the unit was sold.

Whats the impact of buying a used sled from the states that still has warranty?

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem with Ski-doo (and to make it clear, I bought mine brand new from a local dealer). Our dollar has been floating around par for years now, and we are still getting soaked for the sleds and parts. The local dealers are almost (and I stress almost) as much of a victim as we are. They are paying more for the sleds and parts from BRP, and are forced to charge us more to try to make a buck. I have not heard one believable excuse from BRP as to why in 2011 the price is not the same in Canada as the USA. In fact, I don't know if I have heard any excuses at all in the last 2 years. My 2cents...

I agree,the crappy part for the dealers is that BRP still does the same sales no matter where you buy the sled...So in the end the local dealer gets the shaft. I am pretty sure the margins on these sleds are pretty slim as is and that there is absolutely no way they can compete below the border prices.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we had a dealer in Burns Lake I would'nt think about going anywhere else. I got top notch service there! Now I am forced to deal with Prince George or smithers. I can't say either dealer is great to deal with and I would say I will be going down south for my next one. I can stay at my sister's in the okanagen and only be into it for fuel. More than likely my next one will be a 1200 with a turbo so warranty is gone anyways. I did some pricing out and I could save $3800 buying the identical 1200 from the states. To me that is almost a month worth of take home pay, so to me I don't feel like working close to a month for a dealer that does'nt give two shizz about me. In saying that though I do feel sorry for the good dealers that provide good customer service. It is pretty much impossible for these dealers to compete with us prices. I would imagine if the dealer is providing good service though they probably don't have many customers straying south.

not all the dealers fault on pricing, that is coming from brp. they set the price for canada and usa.

Maxwe

Reaction score
WOW guys. I did not want to start a fist fight here. The thought is there is 5 of us talking about it, which price wise works out to one free snowmobile. Most defiantly we should support the local dealer in theory. Interesting how the local dealer claims he makes nothing on the sale and yet he was fairly grumpy when we were discussing it. Around warranty other than engine who really cares. The engines I have had no issue other than the 2007 in which they were failing as fast as they could build them. Who on here has actually done it in the last year or so? Tell us the experince and cons please.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
..... Who on here has actually done it in the last year or so? Tell us the experince and cons please.

:eek:
i did it yesterday, and it was good. might again tomorrow and i expect it will be equally as good:p:p

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who the hell do you think you are ass wipe

if the man can save 5 grand a sled, let him, i buy lots of sleds, combines, tractors and so on where i get the best deal, and saved a ton....

guys like you are the reason our market is that much more... get with the program

get off your wallet holy smokes.

i wish you nothing but trouble on your new skidoo purchased in the US

ps. no warranty
ps. back of the line for service

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.There is no use on us beating on each other on a painfully true fact. And that fact is... free trade.
I thought that is why we signed this agreement with the States.
It is ironic how we get fawked every time the loonie goes par with the eagle.
It is not only our recreational products,but our magazines,books,furniture,ect are all priced to high.
If we truly have a free trade agreement,why are we told that we can not buy from that country?
And from a dealership perspective, why would you care where a person bought their sled from when clearly the money is in servicing,parts and accessories??
I believe we are all arguing in what we all feel is right.But unfortunately both our countries are not telling their consumers their proper rights under this legislation.

Top Bottom