Where do you go for vacation time?

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am heading to Cuba tomorrow and to be honest I am a little nervous. The only travelling I like to do is to BC with my hubby and the sleds. My mom and I are going to an all-inclusive in Varadaro... Do any of you ladies have any 'Cuba' tips for me?

Also, use this thread as a chance to tell vacation stories, pics are good too ;)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I went to Cuba last Christmas. It's great there. I stayed at the Breezes resort. Remember, there you are not suppose to "tip" the maids with money, bring some "trinkets" such as nail polish, old makeup, hair notions, or other little feminine things you no longer use..soaps, shampoo, etc. We also brough pens, pencils and school supplies for their children, and my bf also brought some old t-shirts. Anything with a CANADIAN flag or emblem they love too! when you go to markets, you can bring stuff like that as well and candy works too! We went on a Jeep safari and same thing, when you drive through the little shanty towns we threw out all sorts of goodies onthe roads and children just crowded the streets to get goods.

You can tip the bartenders and waiters with money, tip good at the beginning of the night and they will come FIND YOU to serve you..tip another at the end of the night as well.

DONT buy cigars from the beaches..they are FAKE. (made from banana leaves) go to Havanna tour and buy from the factory. Ummm... trying to think...

Best thing to remember is that these people are cut off from a lot of things, they have no import/export market so they value "goods" more than money.

Hope this helps..

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the people here beg lots.. just so you know, so if you find this "disturbing" best to stay in your hotel as much as possible. But there are fun excursions to go on..food is pretty much terrible so on the upside you lose some weight LOL. The money exchange down there was a little confusing, you will find out when you get there.. much different than Mexico. They have their own money in Cuba, my boyfriend took care of the money so I didnt pay much attention all I know is that it could get a little confusing at times..hhummm.. still thinking!!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have lots of vacation pics but it would take me a while to get em up here.. but for now I'll start by telling where I've been...in order.

San Jose/Cabo San Lucas - Cabo, Mexico
Cancun/Xel-Ha - Mexico
LA(Hollywood,Beverly Hills,Malibu,Bel-Air,Venice,San Frenando,South-Central(pretty much everywhere in or near LA), San Fransisco, San Jose(watched Sharks vs Oil...Oil won!!!), San Diego/ San Ysidro(near mexico border) - California ( I was in many other towns in Cali, I drove up and down the coast but can't remember them all!)
Varadero - Cuba
West & East coast/Mountains - Canada
Next trip planned for March - Florida (Tampa Bay area)

I am still quite young so there are still many places on my list to see...i'm just getting started.. but my dirtbiking habit has hindered my travelling a little because I tend to spend what a trip would cost on my bike in a season now..:( but I love dirtbiking as much or even more so it's all good :))

Cheers!:beer:

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks! I heard that about the 'trinkets' so we are trying to gather up as much as we can to give out. I heard that about the food too, someone told me to bring my own spices to make the food taste better... LOL

We looked into the Breezes too, but decided on the Tuxpan... one review on Trip Advisor actually said "welcome to the suxpan.. where vacations go to die" BAHAHAHAHA!!!

All I hope for is that I don't get food posioning and don't have creepy crawly's in our room :eek:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Begging was bad in Havana..... Veradero not so much. I LOVE Veradero, coolest place I've ever been. Beach runs parralel to the main strip, markets are a lot of fun....

Go to the Dollar store and pick up canada stuff...they love it especially the flashing neon pins. Money is fine even for the maids but they like the cosmetics, hair elastics & clips, gum, ect..... they have unlimited supply of shampoo and soap as they work with it everyday...I was told pantyhose is a big one and hard to get but in the hotel giftshop they had pantyhose for sale for not much more than the wife pays here. if the line-ups at the bar are long....go over to the pop machine....it has beer for 1CC...
Never pay full price for anything outside of the resorts, prices are inflated purposly for bartering..except for the cuban flags..... no movement on the price of the flag no matter where you go.... the full day havana trip with the tropicana show is so worth the money....makes for a long day but you see lots....spend the day in old havana with time to shop, then you go to a downtown resort/hotel they have rooms provided for showering and changing, then you have dinner, and head out to the Tropicana show which is very cool. Now that I have been to Havana I would not go back, but it is a must see once.

Enjoy your trip and have fun.....I'm jealous, can't wait to go back.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hey thanks! I heard that about the 'trinkets' so we are trying to gather up as much as we can to give out. I heard that about the food too, someone told me to bring my own spices to make the food taste better... LOL

We looked into the Breezes too, but decided on the Tuxpan... one review on Trip Advisor actually said "welcome to the suxpan.. where vacations go to die" BAHAHAHAHA!!!

All I hope for is that I don't get food posioning and don't have creepy crawly's in our room :eek:

spices must be a resort specific thing... we stayed at the siren la salina resort and took our own spices which we never ended up using...they had salt/pepper/garlic/ketchup/mustard/relish/tarter....ect... I thought the food was great and for those who wanted plain jane they had burgers/fries/pizza/pasta ect..
Don't read too much into the reviews...some people should just stay the fawk home. it's all in your attitude, little things make the inconviences go away.
If you respect them they respect you, if you act like an azz so will they
timing is everything, observe when all the busy times are and avoid...we always went to eat 1 hr after the buffet opened, the rush was over and the buffet was topped up with fresh food. your on vacation, if there is a line up just wait an hour and it will be gone...
Take a Canadian tire Bubba mug....
one drink stays cold and will last an hour, they will mix it however you want.
I know there is lots more to tell, but everyones experience is different, just have fun....

Oh another hot item is guitar strings....there are street bands that go around playing and every one I saw the guitar player was missing strings...We gave one of the bands a few canada things some fishing line and a hat....they played a 30 min private show for arlene and I was awesome.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I can't wait for the sun, beach and drinks!

Gotta go to the Dollar Store, Canadian Tire and hopefully a music store...

:beer::av-31::drink4:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Money is fine even for the maids but they like the cosmetics, hair elastics & clips, gum, ect..... they have unlimited supply of shampoo and soap as they work with it everyday...QUOTE]

Yes, they have an unlimited supply of CRAP. I brought them soaps and shampoos they have never seen in their lives living in Cuba..like Dove, or Olay..the "good" stuff... not crappy cheap hotel stuff they have used their entire lives, our maid loved me so much she came and found me int he resort every day to give us a big hug and kiss..thats how much she appreciated the stuff. I also brought old jewelery/perfume I didn't wear anymore..and she wore it every day, and she was actually our maid for the entire week we were there and she was soo happy. lol it felt so good the joy I brought that lady. and she said her son fit into Boyds old clothes perfectly. I also remember people handing out toothpaste and toothbrushes and first aid kits and such to young children, pregnant mothers, or mothers with young children.. either way, no matter what you bring they will be greatful. and yea, varadero not so bad as Havanna, but we still ran into beggers in Varadero but Havanna is a very historic place and worth checking out!

Have fun!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll dig up all the junk promo SKI-DOO and POLARIS hats and chit around the house and give it to you too - get that crap outta the country! :d:d:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry LD...no disrespect intended.... your right they like the nice brand name stuff... Our relationship with our maid was much the same, she would leave us thank you notes and I would stumble my way through the spanish/english dictionary to return her notes. she did amazing towel art for us and gave us each a big hug and kiss before we left. she was amazing. Aked for extra water, she brought 2 bottles of water and a bottle of Rum...

towelart2.jpg

towel art.jpg

Yes, they have an unlimited supply of CRAP. I brought them soaps and shampoos they have never seen in their lives living in Cuba..like Dove, or Olay..the "good" stuff... not crappy cheap hotel stuff they have used their entire lives, our maid loved me so much she came and found me int he resort every day to give us a big hug and kiss..thats how much she appreciated the stuff. I also brought old jewelery/perfume I didn't wear anymore..and she wore it every day, and she was actually our maid for the entire week we were there and she was soo happy. lol it felt so good the joy I brought that lady. and she said her son fit into Boyds old clothes perfectly. I also remember people handing out toothpaste and toothbrushes and first aid kits and such to young children, pregnant mothers, or mothers with young children.. either way, no matter what you bring they will be greatful. and yea, varadero not so bad as Havanna, but we still ran into beggers in Varadero but Havanna is a very historic place and worth checking out!

Have fun!

Last edited:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got the notes and yes every day our towels were made into some interesting little animal! So cute! By far the coolest place I've been, people there are so different compared to Mexico... I find the Mexicans to be more "ungrateful", and disgusted with white people.. or was it just me?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We got the notes and yes every day our towels were made into some interesting little animal! So cute! By far the coolest place I've been, people there are so different compared to Mexico... I find the Mexicans to be more "ungrateful", and disgusted with white people.. or was it just me?

I've never been to Mexico, but in comparison with the Dominican, Cuba is heads and shoulders above....

Lots of places I want to go and see, but at the same time I could easily stick with Veradero and be content...

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a Canadian tire Bubba mug....
one drink stays cold and will last an hour, they will mix it however you want.
I know there is lots more to tell, but everyones experience is different, just have fun....

Report just in from Cuba - the Bubba mugs are a huge hit! The ladies have put them to EXCELLENT usage thanks for the tip Bogger!!!:beerchug:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes mugs are great - we didn't use the bubba mugs, but we did bring our own thermos mugs with us to keep the drinks cooler and not having to go back every 3 min for drinks cause of their tiny little flimsy dixie cups...

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cuba report - all I can say is WOW!! What a great trip! Thanks for all the advise guys, it really helped. Those Bubba mugs were a HUGE hit, everyone wanted them. We took so much stuff as gifts, they appreciated everything. The beach was so nice and clean, the ocean was very warm... I think my head is still there and avoiding this nasty weather here... LOL :rolleyes: I will get some pics up soon.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to Mexico in february, we fly into Cancun and then take a ferry to an island called isla mujeres! Will probably spend time in cancun though any tips for travelling to Mexico?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to Mexico in february, we fly into Cancun and then take a ferry to an island called isla mujeres! Will probably spend time in cancun though any tips for travelling to Mexico?

We have been to Mexico quite a few times.
Never had trouble rented jeeps or cars drove everywhere.

We took 2 peptol bismal pills every morning and drank and ate anything that moved...:p

We never got sick or our kids..
Just have fun and drink lots of tequila it will kill any bugs.

Top Bottom