What's Happening With Our Education System !!

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Also...found these stats on MSN the other day and thought they were very interesting...for the U.S. mind you...had to share as I was surprised at how high the numbers were

in 2007- 46.6% of the labour force had less than a high school diploma and 69.9% had no college degree

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to put all the blame on the teachers/schoolboard. Parents and the kids themselves have a lot to do with it. Myself only being out of highschool two years ago, it's still pretty fresh to me. Most teachers are good and willing to help, the higher you get the more they expect and you have to help yourself first. My school marks bombed when my parents got divorced, a lot of my high marks in young years would be thanks to my mom, who took education very seriously, and took it upon herself to teach me a lot of things(I was doing grade 6 math in grade 3). So parents do have a huge impact.

I really disagree with a lot of things are done, heck I ran into some big problems in junior high which involved the Court Of Queen's Bench, which was a court order demanding I attend school. Short version, I missed a ton of school, my dad did not get along with the principal so they got them involved, I didn't miss a day of school for a year, marks didn't change one bit if anything droped, because I just didn't care and was pissed about it. The problem is just because a child is at school doesn't mean they are learning anything. From Grade 7 on I was at school maybe 65%-70% of the time, and my grades were always pretty good. I ended up with a High School Diploma and high enough marks to get into almost any program I want, and going to NAIT this fall :beer:

Kids with problems reading, etc i've got to say a lot of the problem is the parents, yes a lot of it is taught in school, but parents need to make sure there kids are up to date and learning as much as they should.

Most teachers I will say are pretty good, I had a few bad ones but many extremly good ones. Schools make a difference to, which is why you go to open houses and see what they are like (if you have more then one close).

A huge part of my ambition to get a good education is my current job with my dad doing concrete and other construction, it makes you want to go back to school and get a good education so you don't have to do that crappy work all your life. Just get your kids a good summer job, they will be loving school! I started working at 12....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to put all the blame on the teachers/schoolboard. Parents and the kids themselves have a lot to do with it. Myself only being out of highschool two years ago, it's still pretty fresh to me. Most teachers are good and willing to help, the higher you get the more they expect and you have to help yourself first. My school marks bombed when my parents got divorced, a lot of my high marks in young years would be thanks to my mom, who took education very seriously, and took it upon herself to teach me a lot of things(I was doing grade 6 math in grade 3). So parents do have a huge impact.

I really disagree with a lot of things are done, heck I ran into some big problems in junior high which involved the Court Of Queen's Bench, which was a court order demanding I attend school. Short version, I missed a ton of school, my dad did not get along with the principal so they got them involved, I didn't miss a day of school for a year, marks didn't change one bit if anything droped, because I just didn't care and was pissed about it. The problem is just because a child is at school doesn't mean they are learning anything. From Grade 7 on I was at school maybe 65%-70% of the time, and my grades were always pretty good. I ended up with a High School Diploma and high enough marks to get into almost any program I want, and going to NAIT this fall :beer:

Kids with problems reading, etc i've got to say a lot of the problem is the parents, yes a lot of it is taught in school, but parents need to make sure there kids are up to date and learning as much as they should.

Most teachers I will say are pretty good, I had a few bad ones but many extremly good ones. Schools make a difference to, which is why you go to open houses and see what they are like (if you have more then one close).

A huge part of my ambition to get a good education is my current job with my dad doing concrete and other construction, it makes you want to go back to school and get a good education so you don't have to do that crappy work all your life. Just get your kids a good summer job, they will be loving school! I started working at 12....

Very well said. You have great perspective. My older kids see where they would like to go in life, so they are eager to learn what they need to in order to advance into one of the many possibility careers they have already uncovered. They understand that their education is a step towards that goal.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't read any of the previous posts ..my bad ..sue my ass or what ever ....I/ We do not condone the public system or do we cotribute to it ..at no time do we /I feel responsible for the bullsh1t therin and have no/zero intention of conforming to such anytime soon ..have a nice day and go fawk yourself ..over ....Ps my kids are 3 grades ahead of the rest of the world ...over

Wanderlust

Reaction score
I didn't read any of the previous posts ..my bad ..sue my ass or what ever ....I/ We do not condone the public system or do we cotribute to it ..at no time do we /I feel responsible for the bullsh1t therin and have no/zero intention of conforming to such anytime soon ..have a nice day and go fawk yourself ..over ....Ps my kids are 3 grades ahead of the rest of the world ...over

Me thinks someone had a little bit too much of the moose juice..............

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you're trying to spell lawyer? Nah, I'll stick with my apprenticeship and get my ticket in my trade rather than defend the scum of the earth and have to wear a suit everyday:)

Just a private comment that was made which started this whole thread..
I removed the comment because the thread was started to discuss education issues and not point fingers at certain individuals.
I meant to say Lawer...
But I know that it is spelled with the "Y".
Your post was well written and shows that you have received a proper education.
Some children are not receiving the quality of education that you did.
What burns me up is when a child has the desire to succeed but does not have the chance.
I also agree with your comment that some children don't have the desire to learn and that the parents need to step up and help out at home.
from our conversations on this thread I have read that all the parents that commented have been giving the support at home and "some" of children have been passed on to the next grade because of Government Funding Issues when they should have been held back. The problem only gets worse when they try to learn new information and don't have a firm grasp on the past information.
My son's spelling is not the best and I work with him constantly, and I have said that he should be held back at school but they refuse to as it will be hard on the child emotionally ??
Back in the day when I was in grade school they held children back all the time. I also remember the strap, from a mean old granny of a Principal !
I can't imagine not getting the strap in grade 4 because I don't know what would have happened to me if I was allowed to do as I wanted to.
I would have probably been a problem child without an education. This is what worries me about the education today.
Children are required to have the drive to succeed and I feel that they need a little more guidance and rules at a younger age so they will grow up with the drive to succeed.
Children will naturally follow in the footsteps as their parents and if the parents don't care and the school system just passes them on to the next grade because of funding issues, What is going to happen to the children of tomorrow ?
I also agree that one of the problems is that children are having children
and need to grow up and experience life themselves before bringing more children into this world for their grandparents or social services to raise.
I am very grateful for my education and my parents because it has made me what I am today. A responsible educated citizen and a loving and caring father.;)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a private comment that was made which started this whole thread..
I removed the comment because the thread was started to discuss education issues and not point fingers at certain individuals.
I meant to say Lawer...
But I know that it is spelled with the "Y".
Your post was well written and shows that you have received a proper education.
Some children are not receiving the quality of education that you did.
What burns me up is when a child has the desire to succeed but does not have the chance.
I also agree with your comment that some children don't have the desire to learn and that the parents need to step up and help out at home.
from our conversations on this thread I have read that all the parents that commented have been giving the support at home and "some" of children have been passed on to the next grade because of Government Funding Issues when they should have been held back. The problem only gets worse when they try to learn new information and don't have a firm grasp on the past information.
My son's spelling is not the best and I work with him constantly, and I have said that he should be held back at school but they refuse to as it will be hard on the child emotionally ??
Back in the day when I was in grade school they held children back all the time. I also remember the strap, from a mean old granny of a Principal !
I can't imagine not getting the strap in grade 4 because I don't know what would have happened to me if I was allowed to do as I wanted to.
I would have probably been a problem child without an education. This is what worries me about the education today.
Children are required to have the drive to succeed and I feel that they need a little more guidance and rules at a younger age so they will grow up with the drive to succeed.
Children will naturally follow in the footsteps as their parents and if the parents don't care and the school system just passes them on to the next grade because of funding issues, What is going to happen to the children of tomorrow ?
I also agree that one of the problems is that children are having children
and need to grow up and experience life themselves before bringing more children into this world for their grandparents or social services to raise.
I am very grateful for my education and my parents because it has made me what I am today. A responsible educated citizen and a loving and caring father.;)

Holding back a child in grade 7 would be tough on them, i'm sure a lot more then you can imagine(things have changed a LOT). Still in the same school as their friends, but in a lower grade. Summer school would probably be a lot better option. Being just out of the system myself, the education is still good. It varies from school to school some, even teacher to teacher, but the child is the most limiting/progressing factor. Two kids could go to all of the same schools and end up with different education, I can tell you that because I went to the EXACT same schools as someone elementary, junior high, and high school, who dropped out and ending up selling drugs in grade 11. You cannot tell me it is the systems fault.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holding back a child in grade 7 would be tough on them, i'm sure a lot more then you can imagine(things have changed a LOT). Still in the same school as their friends, but in a lower grade. Summer school would probably be a lot better option. Being just out of the system myself, the education is still good. It varies from school to school some, even teacher to teacher, but the child is the most limiting/progressing factor. Two kids could go to all of the same schools and end up with different education, I can tell you that because I went to the EXACT same schools as someone elementary, junior high, and high school, who dropped out and ending up selling drugs in grade 11. You cannot tell me it is the systems fault.
Well I am glad to see you are not a drug dealer...

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

True, you take a class of say 25, 8 go on to university, 5 take a trade, 6graduate and go straight into work force out but lead productive lives, a couple go to work in a family business and 4 become losers and go to jail, I bet 100% of the losers parents blame their kids teachers.....

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True, you take a class of say 25, 8 go on to university, 5 take a trade, 6graduate and go straight into work force out but lead productive lives, a couple go to work in a family business and 4 become losers and go to jail, I bet 100% of the losers parents blame their kids teachers.....

I checked your math Mitch, your work force and drop outs add up to 25! :beer: It's all in the parenting and how the kids are brought up. If a kid wants to drop out, that's what will happen, if they can't be talked into staying in school. They better get a job and make something out of themselves. Nobody should ride for free.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I dropped out of school I had two options,
Get the belt everyday from my dad until I went back to school or move out and get a job and find my own place to live.
I chose to stay in school and got a solid education.
My son will do the same.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I am not a drug dealer, I was very good about things like that, my only bad side was skipping school way way to much.

The thing is you cannot fear a child into going to school, and just because they are there means nothing. Even a High School Diploma is worthless and means nothing, you still need more education, and to get the minimum diploma won't get you into ANYTHING. All I was told and was shown if I don't get an education I will be doing concrete for the rest of my life. I think getting kids a tough summer job is the best thing you can do, they will be HAPPY to go back to school. Plus the sooner they learn the value of a dollar the better.

The education system is far from perfect but I am satisfied with it :beer:

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well DR has been promoted to Grade 12....Only one more year left if all goes right.

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Just caught this thread today, it's an emotional subject for many. I've noticed that parental involvement makes a world of difference. We are very involved, and I've seen the results when parents aren't involved, kids with the same challenges will end on very different paths. Maybe the teachers behave different when they know the parents care, and maybe the kids behaves different when they know the parents care, either way, being there pays off. We've even got a "home journal" that travels back and forth every day so we know how the day went at school, and we can let the teacher know what's going on here. That has been incredibly helpful, and the teachers and even the bus drivers have been happy to cooperate when it's mentioned.

We're also in a highly academic school, many of my friends can't believe the work my kids bring home in elementary. Doesn't work for all though, I know a few kids who are doing way better in the other school, where the academics aren't pushed as hard.

Too many factors come into play for any easy answers. We have some really bad days, and I feel for all the other parents out there, and the kids who are struggling through it!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just caught this thread today, it's an emotional subject for many. I've noticed that parental involvement makes a world of difference. We are very involved, and I've seen the results when parents aren't involved, kids with the same challenges will end on very different paths. Maybe the teachers behave different when they know the parents care, and maybe the kids behaves different when they know the parents care, either way, being there pays off. We've even got a "home journal" that travels back and forth every day so we know how the day went at school, and we can let the teacher know what's going on here. That has been incredibly helpful, and the teachers and even the bus drivers have been happy to cooperate when it's mentioned.

We're also in a highly academic school, many of my friends can't believe the work my kids bring home in elementary. Doesn't work for all though, I know a few kids who are doing way better in the other school, where the academics aren't pushed as hard.

Too many factors come into play for any easy answers. We have some really bad days, and I feel for all the other parents out there, and the kids who are struggling through it!

It is for sure good for involved parents(as long as they don't go overboard). I don't think elementary, or even junior high has much to do with how they end up finishing school, but it doesn't hurt to start early. Maybe i'm still to young, but I don't see a problem with small work load in elementary, and slowly get it bigger in junior high. A 10 year old shouldn't have homework evernight IMO, maybe once a week.

Because really, look at how many kids out there can coast through even top high school doing little to nothing and get honours easily, not saying it's right but workload is overdone IMO. But then again i'm only 20 and I just refused to spend hours a night studying. It would come back to bite me in the a$$ if I ever went to University since I never really knew how to study, but no intentions of it so o well :p

Top Bottom