What's Happening With Our Education System !!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have looked at private schools when he was in Grade 6, but I did not want my child being raised by other people who did not understand him as well as parents do....

After going through the private school system (back in the mid 70's)
I am not sure if it is the right decision either ??

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After going through the private school system (back in the mid 70's)
I am not sure if it is the right decision either ??

Daughter is in christian school. I have to agree, might not be the best, but the public school she would have to goto"because where we live" i wouldnt want her to go there either

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the government is trying to please every little special interest. There should be 0 funding for any school other than public schools. Have 1 great education system that serves the vast majority well, the rest,(Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Amish or whatever) can pay out of their own pocket...
:smiliestirthepot:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the government is trying to please every little special interest. There should be 0 funding for any school other than public schools. Have 1 great education system that serves the vast majority well, the rest,(Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Amish or whatever) can pay out of their own pocket...
:smiliestirthepot:

Spoken like a true CANADIAN. You dont modify the flag to suit yourself......You stand and salute the flag with pride and honour...YOU ARE CANADIAN.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
In dooryders defence.......When posting in a forum such as this I pay little attention to sentence structure and even spelling.......For work I am required to develop policies, procedures, and proffessional business corospondance with subcontractors, OH&S, Worksafe BC, and our company lawyers.

Now if my "forum posts" were any indication of my proffessional writing ability I would be out of a job...I just find when posting I type fast and free paying little attention to structure and spelling...

Just my 2 cents

Well said btw, "proffessional" is spelled with one f. ;):beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
In dooryders defence.......When posting in a forum such as this I pay little attention to sentence structure and even spelling.......For work I am required to develop policies, procedures, and proffessional business corospondance with subcontractors, OH&S, Worksafe BC, and our company lawyers.

Now if my "forum posts" were any indication of my proffessional writing ability I would be out of a job...I just find when posting I type fast and free paying little attention to structure and spelling...

Just my 2 cents

Oh ya and "corospondance" is spelled Correspondance .... lol now do this ... take your right hand make the shape of an L with your index finger and your thumb and hold it up to your forehead! :beer::d:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Oh ya and "corospondance" is spelled Correspondance .... lol now do this ... take your right hand make the shape of an L with your index finger and your thumb and hold it up to your forehead! :beer::d:beer:

Your missing the whole point... the context of what I said was Eevin as a proFFessional I don't put much emfisis on speling good. or eavn puncttuate goodly when posting.....

Sometimes it's harder to try and spell wrong........

Don't you have patients waiting????????Bwahahahahaha

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Your missing the whole point... the context of what I said was Eevin as a proFFessional I don't put much emfisis on speling good. or eavn puncttuate goodly when posting.....

Sometimes it's harder to try and spell wrong........

Don't you have patients waiting????????Bwahahahahaha

Sorry I can't talk now, some of us have to work you know! ;)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My two kids are both finished school one's a apprentice milright and the other is going to NAIT taking thier business managment course.

Starting at a very young age, I started going and interviewing the teachers at the beginning of the year. Setting up my involvement and my expectations of my children’s progress for that year. What I expected from my children and what I expected from the teacher / school. I had one teacher complain to the principle that I was too demanding, as I expected to hear from her if my kids were not pulling the weight or causing problems and I also wanted to hear from her if they did something good or even exceptional on a more regular basis then at report card time. I had asked her for her suggestions on how to accomplish this. I basically wanted her to know that I wanted to be involved in their school progress and would pop in when time allowed chat or she could send a note home. Needless to say my son did not have her as a teacher, I choose a new young man that liked my ideas and sought out others that wanted that kind of communication.
Over the years the interview approach has worked rather well, so much so that my daughter choose to interview her instructor at NAIT….Communication and setting goals takes time but is worth the effort…

My kids have not always been the little angles they were when they started school, but they have learnt you get out of something what you put into it, and they have learnt to stand up for them self’s.
An example in grade 6 my daughter and friends were playing tag, a game they were told not to play as it was too rough. “Tag”??? not boxing…..anyway. One of her friends was a very small girl and the boys when tagging her would knock her to the ground so this young gal said she didn’t want to play, but they kept pushing her. My daughter who is not a big girl either but was not willing to watch her friend get pushed around stepped in and simply said leave her alone….they didn’t and my daughter started tackling them (by this age I was still teaching mountain climbing and we spent a lot of time hiking and running, both of my kids were in good shape) well a couple of the boys got hurt as she flattened them. They complained and my daughter was the one getting punished, I simply stated to the school that suspending her for this action was acceptable as long as they were punishing the boys that hadn’t learnt the meaning of no ……and as they were not willing to punish the boys then I was not willing to let them punish my daughter. The cowards just dropped the whole thing…..
To this day they both stop and help others whether out sledding, hiking, camping or someone broken down on the side of the road.

I havent always agreed with there choices, but then again my choices havent always proven to be right either.....lol

Stay involved, participate, care …..

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well said and on a side note ... nice sentence structure and grammar! Others on this site could benefit from your fine example! :beer:;)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoken like a true CANADIAN. You dont modify the flag to suit yourself......You stand and salute the flag with pride and honour...YOU ARE CANADIAN. P.S. French should be manditory from K to 12

Snotty, French? who'd have thought........:d:d

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I really only read the first two pages of this thread so here is my thoughts on the subject:

Most parents today bitch and whine that its the teacher's faults for their kids not passing, doing poorly etc. NOBODY stops and thinks "Hey maybe its the kid's fault for not putting in the effort to do well". Nope its the teacher's fault for little Johnny or Susie for getting an F. bullch!t its the teachers fault. Teach your kid that THEY are responsible for THEIR actions and there should be no surprises when report cards come around. Maybe your kid should get their ass in gear and stop smoking dope, skipping class and not doing the required workload given to them. You want good marks? You earn them. Period. I saw this over and over in high school and I only graduated in 2007 so I know damn well what I'm talking about here.

As for teachers not caring anymore or not willing to put in the time for a student. I've never experienced this, all the teachers I had in school were always there if I needed extra help and such. Granted I'm sure there are some pisspoor teachers out there but the majority of them are trying their best. Ever try marking 90+ papers a night, recording marks, meeting with parents, making a teaching plan for the next day? It ain't easy, I'll tell you that much. Again, the student needs to take some initiative to see the teacher after class for extra help if they're struggling with a certain concept. Also the reason the schools push kids through is because getting a failing grade will hurt the poor kid's feelings, aww... Next thing you know the parents are calling the school asking why their kid is failing their classes.:rant:

Rant over:twocents:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I really only read the first two pages of this thread so here is my thoughts on the subject:

Most parents today bitch and whine that its the teacher's faults for their kids not passing, doing poorly etc. NOBODY stops and thinks "Hey maybe its the kid's fault for not putting in the effort to do well". Nope its the teacher's fault for little Johnny or Susie for getting an F. bullch!t its the teachers fault. Teach your kid that THEY are responsible for THEIR actions and there should be no surprises when report cards come around. Maybe your kid should get their ass in gear and stop smoking dope, skipping class and not doing the required workload given to them. You want good marks? You earn them. Period. I saw this over and over in high school and I only graduated in 2007 so I know damn well what I'm talking about here.

As for teachers not caring anymore or not willing to put in the time for a student. I've never experienced this, all the teachers I had in school were always there if I needed extra help and such. Granted I'm sure there are some pisspoor teachers out there but the majority of them are trying their best. Ever try marking 90+ papers a night, recording marks, meeting with parents, making a teaching plan for the next day? It ain't easy, I'll tell you that much. Again, the student needs to take some initiative to see the teacher after class for extra help if they're struggling with a certain concept. Also the reason the schools push kids through is because getting a failing grade will hurt the poor kid's feelings, aww... Next thing you know the parents are calling the school asking why their kid is failing their classes.:rant:

Rant over:twocents:

Maybe you should become the Lawer.....

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well one thing is 2manykids on a normal bus ride its an 1.5 hours, winter it can be 2 hours to 2 and a half hours, and yes i admit my spelling is horrible but i do try

what GML said about the teacher in blue river few years back, was i was in grade 6 and the teacher was trying to teach me grade 4 geography witch i wouldnt par take in it cause i wasnt learning anythign from it cause i knew it all, and she refused to give us work suited for our grade cause she didnt now want to teach 2 differnt types of matterial on the same subject. I thought that was abbsolutly ridiculus, and from this day i still dont know how she became a teacher.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well one thing is 2manykids on a normal bus ride its an 1.5 hours, winter it can be 2 hours to 2 and a half hours, and yes i admit my spelling is horrible but i do try

what GML said about the teacher in blue river few years back, was i was in grade 6 and the teacher was trying to teach me grade 4 geography witch i wouldnt par take in it cause i wasnt learning anythign from it cause i knew it all, and she refused to give us work suited for our grade cause she didnt now want to teach 2 differnt types of matterial on the same subject. I thought that was abbsolutly ridiculus, and from this day i still dont know how she became a teacher.

I know what that bus can be like, what about the times you dont even make it?
As far as your spelling maybe im in the same boat cause i understand 98% of what you type. And you take the ribbin very good, and im sure nobody does this to hurt you. Most times i read a thread and it is guys talkign about riding with you or wanting to. Be it you cant spell or use proper grammer, you have something alot dont RESPECT you give it and you get it.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Gotta throw my two cents into this discussion. Totally agree with Luke's comments regarding the effort that kids put into school, but also want to add that it is my opinion that us as parents share the blame for what is happening in the education system. School is not a babysitting service-we need to work hard in conjunction with the school/teachers for the benefit of our kids. If our kids are not doing well at school, why put the blame on the teacher's only??? What's happening at home to contribute to the problem? I am learning with teenagers, one of whom, our son, is attending a military academy (no we did not give up), that I have been making excuses for him and though I don't like to admit it, I do these things to protect them. It's my opinion again that we are raising a generation of kids who feel and act entitled - in other words, they are learning that you don't have to work hard for what you want. Just look at how the job market is-who on this site expected to be making $40/hr after high school, now it seems like there is an expectation for the best wages/best paying jobs without putting in the time or the effort. This isn't the education system failing, it's society as a whole.

Top Bottom