What's Happening With Our Education System !!

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to 100% agree with powertool. I have young kids in school and when they cant tell me the months of the year and in the correct order i shake my head. When my grade 5 daughter has no idea what pie is other than 3.14 i ask her. Do you know how they arrived at 3.14? She doesnt know. But off the top of her head she can tell me where the button is on her calculator. She is not worried about her grades because she cant fail, doesnt have to worry about repeating the grade. WTF if one of my kids cant do the required skills to pass the grade i would hope that they would get to try again or do the grade again. Not be punished and put onto the next grade to be that much further behind.
And maybe this thought will not make much sense but this is from someone who didnt learn to understand what i read untill i will 18. Yes i have grade 12.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess what got me going on this topic, is that I see signs of this with my own son and find it very frustrating dealing with the education system.
My son's problem is that he is going through the French Immersion system and his English spelling is weak because they center their attention on the french language.
I am having to work with him after school hoping to improve this.
The grade 7 comment came up because my son is in the 7th grade...

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the admin people out sledding they could be. Or maybe there attending the teachers convention or at parent teacher day:):)

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to 100% agree with powertool. I have young kids in school and when they cant tell me the months of the year and in the correct order i shake my head. When my grade 5 daughter has no idea what pie is other than 3.14 i ask her. Do you know how they arrived at 3.14? She doesnt know. But off the top of her head she can tell me where the button is on her calculator. She is not worried about her grades because she cant fail, doesnt have to worry about repeating the grade. WTF if one of my kids cant do the required skills to pass the grade i would hope that they would get to try again or do the grade again. Not be punished and put onto the next grade to be that much further behind.
And maybe this thought will not make much sense but this is from someone who didnt learn to understand what i read untill i will 18. Yes i have grade 12.

Children these days rely too much on calculators and spell check !!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Children these days rely too much on calculators and spell check !!

I have to force my son to go up and buy something that he wants..
I think he is somewhat scared to because he can't count that fast !
How is he to survive in life like this ?
I personally think he would probably starve first.
I want him to get a proper education and get a good job so he can look after himself. At least eventually move out of my house...

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think the thread should be toast. Dooryder im sure will know this is not an attack on him personally but the school system.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just don't want this thread to look like an attack on our children, but more directed at the education system.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see parents concerned with their children's education. That's what motivates children to learn. There are kids enrolled into our homeschool program who's parents do not participate in their learning. These children fail miserably, as they have absolutely no support, from teachers, parents, or tutors. I believe motivation comes from the family unit be it public schooled, or homeschooled children.

Last edited:

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com
It is all parents issues with the education now a days not just yours. Unfortunalty 90% of us can't home school our children. Sleddingmom is blessed, but the main thing is we spend as much quality time with them and everything comes out right in the end...:d

Last edited:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I am sure he would have some good comments about the system as he is fusurated at it himself sometimes.

I can have maybe a little more understanding than some.
1. I went to the same school he is at for a few years
2. I was and am still not the best with english or grammer
3. Help isnt always easy to come by when you catch a bus for school and have to leave with the same bus.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can have maybe a little more understanding than some.
1. I went to the same school he is at for a few years
2. I was and am still not the best with english or grammer
3. Help isnt always easy to come by when you catch a bus for school and have to leave with the same bus.

My son has to take the bus too and from school everyday also.
It seems to be perceived as the safest way to get the kids to and from school.
(I am unsure on this as I am unclear on how some of the bus drivers got their licence).
The city or town does state which school your children will attend because of our place of residence.
I don't agree with this, but understand that it is not an option in a smaller community when there is only one school available.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, my son would not be happy sitting behind a desk. That is not his passion. He has so much more to offer then sueing people.

Lex

Lexi,
You know what I love about your son. He is a problem solver. Anytime there is a question asked on the site, he is there trying to trouble shoot with very valid information. His confidence and knowledge just shine through.:d
Trish

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
(I am unsure on this as I am unclear on how some of the bus drivers got their licence).
The city or town does state which school your children will attend because of our place of residence.
I don't agree with this, but understand that it is not an option in a smaller community when there is only one school available.

Yes my kids also take a bus for school. The difference for Dooryder is it an hour 1 way or better in the winter. I agree with the no choice in schools and where you live. The only way around that is private school.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That was a contributing factor in the decision to homeschool, the actual length of time the children would spend on the bus. We live very rural, so the bus ride would take up hours of their day, time that could be spent learning or enjoying childhood. It was a minor factor in comparison to some other issues, but it still played a part in the decision to homeschool.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lexi,
You know what I love about your son. He is a problem solver. Anytime there is a question asked on the site, he is there trying to trouble shoot with very valid information. His confidence and knowledge just shine through.:d
Trish

It's great to see that he has the passion with sledding.
and the self determination to go out and get his own sled.
He is sure living in the right area for it.
Maybe there is the ability to be a snowmobile Mechanic ?:)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off to find the heartbeat of a Dew worm! Ewwwwww. (they are going to be used for fishing after hee hee.) Have a great day guys.
Trish

Last edited:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes my kids also take a bus for school. The difference for Dooryder is it an hour 1 way or better in the winter. I agree with the no choice in schools and where you live. The only way around that is private school.

I went to an all boy's private school from Grade 7~9..
as did my father...
don't think it is much of an option for children anymore.

Top Bottom