What's everyone doing to get ready for the season??

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://throttlechix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43

well, it's the old stuff, posted that a few years ago on ladies ride... we got it pulled over to throttle chix but I haven't given it some love in a WHILE!

Probably quite a few things I could add if I had the time but this might get ya started bunny! Any of the rest of you feel free to add to that, we had some GREAT tips flowing in from the ladies a few years ago when I posted that!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
repairing the underside of the mobile, friggen cats and mice, no actually just the damn cats cause they probably brought the mouse in with them, then it became mice, then got rid of cats then as the saying goes when the cats away. grrrr........ now repairing underside, redoing skirting and starting a kitten mill. lol,

oh your talking sledding season., got the wife a newer ride, havent had time to even think about mine and the kids yet,

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowbunny, you're on an XP? I think all you'll be paying for with your pre-season refresher is a chain case oil change, filter cleaning, and a set if plugs, and they'll probably tighten the chain if it needs it. Pretty easy to do yourself, I'd have a good look and clean the clutches with scotch bright too. Maybe we should start a new thread on here???

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
No not quite an xp. I ride a 2006 ski doo 600sdi, so I think it's just the rev chassis. I phoned two different places and got two very different quotes for a pre season service. Martin quoted me 120 buckeroos and another dealer out of alberta beach quoted me 306 buckeroos. I wonder what the difference is and why such a difference in price. Probably just have the old man teach me how to do it so I don't have this problem next year. Thanks powderpilot and skadi for the starter tips.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would find out what they are doing for the money. Some places will charge one flat rate for service, even if everything looks good and they don't need to do anything.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, ask them exactly what they plan to do and how much each things costs. they might not break each things cost down for you but they HAVE GOT to be able to list that stuff out...

but yeah, there really isn't a ton to do on pre season maint; and I'm pretty sure you can figure it out just with that thread I posted the link to! and if you have someone to help you, you will DEF get through it!

Amy, that link I posted is to a whole thread about this stuff... would have been a pain in the butt to try to recreate all that over here so I thought I would post the link. there is a lot of good information there. feel free to chime in over there if you have any additions... keeps it all in one place.....

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Both places were able to list out what it is they are doing for the price. Martin gave me a much shorter list than the place that is charging 306 dollars. Their list is crazy, I can't even repeat what all they read out to me, it almost seems like they are going through the whole sled from top to bottom, front to back. Martin seems like they are just doing the basic things that really need to be done.

I checked out that link skadi and what a beautiful thing that is. However my man says to me "what do you need this for, I can do all of this for you". Of course, whenever I try to learn something for myself, he's got to throw his two cents in there. He can help me then. But thank you, I will definitely be using that info for sure.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check to make sure the work is done, most of these check sheets are a joke, have them go over the list and check it before you take possesin of sled.. mechanics like to pre mark check lists. or so i have seen.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that whole forum is a KILLER place to go if you want to talk to the ladies about getting specific advice on things! that forum pretty much covers ALL motorsports and has some great information on it. We had a few other forums all going at once all created by Sarah and she FINALLY decided to put them all in one place so we can ALL share our info even if sometimes it isn't sled or dirt specific and we want to share it with or other female motorsport users! We lost some great threads in the conversion and are still working on getting those up or recreating them. Lot's of 'how to' threads and discussions from backing up a trailer to how to huck a cliff! and, of course, how to learn to wrench....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check to make sure the work is done, most of these check sheets are a joke, have them go over the list and check it before you take possesin of sled.. mechanics like to pre mark check lists. or so i have seen.

whatchu talkin bout imdoo'n?
i have been pulling wrenches for 20+yrs and never seen this premarking checklist thing your talkin about:rolleyes::rolleyes::beer:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have started my preparations with 16 scheduled visits to the chiropractor, spinal stretches, icing 2x per day and a spinal traction unit!! Come winter, I will be able to go huck myself off the side of a mountain and undo all my chiropractic goodness in 3 rides (versus the first ride!!). Truthfully tho, the last season of sledding left me battered and beaten, as has moving an entire family of 5 over 800 kms this summer. Coupled with my advancing age (and previous run-in with a moose and a fractured pelvis in a quadding accident) the pain is becoming unbearable. Sooo... I am on an all new program to rehab before the season begins, because my body can't suffer any further deterioration and I certainly refuse to be sidelined.

So... onto some conditioning. I'm kinda tired of the same old same old bootcamp and P90X and Insanity, so I have signed up for something a little unconventional: Pole Fitness classes!! I figure it will develop strength and balance and be interesting at the same time. Plus, I think my husband will enjoy it too :eek: This past spring brought me to my knees physically, and I have been slowly re-vamping my over-ambitious approach and my routines. Its actually been a really great thing to start over!! I have been rehabbing my running program as well, and trying to eradicate some stride issues that developed as my back got worse and worse. My running is finally starting to feel good again, and the tendinitis of the knee and piriform syndrome of the hip are HISTORY :party:

Sled-wise: A new 2012 M8 Pro-Climb is on its way, courtesy of Terry at T&T Powersports :beer::beer::beer: I'm expecting a learning curve with the new chassis, but other than that, I don't plan to have to do any upgrades or mods for quite a while :) :cool:

Its gonna be a good year in the mountains :):theCabin:

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mamma, have you read pain free?? kind a neat book... My GF becky who is 50 something and had a nasty accident which screwed up her hip, got it and told me about it.... She still gets out riding dirt, snow ans street just about every weekend so she's doing something right!! might be worth a read...

and pole fitness is the CRAZE down here and looks pretty intense!! I think it will be a great fitness adventure for MANY reasons!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mamma, have you read pain free?? kind a neat book... My GF becky who is 50 something and had a nasty accident which screwed up her hip, got it and told me about it.... She still gets out riding dirt, snow ans street just about every weekend so she's doing something right!! might be worth a read...

and pole fitness is the CRAZE down here and looks pretty intense!! I think it will be a great fitness adventure for MANY reasons!

I will definitely take you up on the suggestion of the book-- anything I can get my hands on to help without becoming drug dependant to mask symptoms is waaaaay high on my priority list.

I didn't realize what a craze Pole Fitness actually is, but if you look at their websites and magazines popping up, it is an amazing art. They are actually lobbying for it to become a sport at the next Summer Olympics!! Not sure if that will fly or not :) Interesting peek into some amazing photography on the pole-- somehow pole dancing just got alot more classy!!

boostbaby

Reaction score
Well the boys at the Boost-It shop really helped me out this year, they took Pinky under their wing and set her up good!! She will now be running a Boost-It box an a boost t which will allow me to turn up the BOOST!!! The MCX kits are great turbos but they dont allow the rider to turn up the HP, usually I was running around 14lbs but found that in times I could use more... so with this new fuel controller I can turn up the boost and give it the proper fuel amount to run more boost. The guys also went through and gave me new irdium plugs, changed my throttle cable ( came loose after crashing in the 90 ) and did some maintenance on her. HUGE thanks to them for all the hard work they have done, Pinky is going to TEAR IT UP this year!!:d

Adding the kit to the injectors

New fuel box installed

New stoich gauge installed and pretty much ready to be put back together

Her new custom wrap from HTR, cant wait to get this on her... hopefully soon! Will post a pic when shes done :D

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
I have started my preparations with 16 scheduled visits to the chiropractor, spinal stretches, icing 2x per day and a spinal traction unit!! Come winter, I will be able to go huck myself off the side of a mountain and undo all my chiropractic goodness in 3 rides (versus the first ride!!). Truthfully tho, the last season of sledding left me battered and beaten, as has moving an entire family of 5 over 800 kms this summer. Coupled with my advancing age (and previous run-in with a moose and a fractured pelvis in a quadding accident) the pain is becoming unbearable. Sooo... I am on an all new program to rehab before the season begins, because my body can't suffer any further deterioration and I certainly refuse to be sidelined.

So... onto some conditioning. I'm kinda tired of the same old same old bootcamp and P90X and Insanity, so I have signed up for something a little unconventional: Pole Fitness classes!! I figure it will develop strength and balance and be interesting at the same time. Plus, I think my husband will enjoy it too :eek: This past spring brought me to my knees physically, and I have been slowly re-vamping my over-ambitious approach and my routines. Its actually been a really great thing to start over!! I have been rehabbing my running program as well, and trying to eradicate some stride issues that developed as my back got worse and worse. My running is finally starting to feel good again, and the tendinitis of the knee and piriform syndrome of the hip are HISTORY :party:

Sled-wise: A new 2012 M8 Pro-Climb is on its way, courtesy of Terry at T&T Powersports :beer::beer::beer: I'm expecting a learning curve with the new chassis, but other than that, I don't plan to have to do any upgrades or mods for quite a while :) :cool:

Its gonna be a good year in the mountains :):theCabin:

SledMamma I took pole dancing classes about a year ago to help me get back into shape, and I thought they were tons of fun. The thing that surprised me was how hard it actually was. It sure develops your upper body strength for sure, something that us women sledders need. I also found it gave me a lot of confidence with my body and just myself in general. It is totally something different than the norm and yes my fiance loved the results coming from the class as well. I hope you totally enjoy this class.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet megan, you're gonna rock on that thing this season!!

Having this brough back to the top reminds me that my riding partner becky who FOUGHT hip problems for the last two years has had a huge break through... She said it was costly and a fair amount of work but her pain is nearly gone and her improvements have been DRASTIC from this new program she's into... I will try to get the basic idea out of her, she told me when we were driving home in the middle of the night the other night so things are still a little hazy... but the difference for her has been HUGE and I even noticed that she was able to sit in the car for hours on end when before when we'd be on road trips a few hours into it she would start rubbing her hip and I'd notice she was uncomfortable -this weekend she drove 5 hours, worked a trade show on her feet on concrete for 2 days then drive 5 hours back and had not one bit of nagging pain or immobility like she used to!! HUGE improvements!! I'll try to get the name of it all from her richelle

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound funny... but in preparation for this up coming sled season I'm Drinking Beer... Those who know me, know I'm super wimpola so 1 or 2 beer is "living on the wild side" for me..

I drop weight quickly, and unfortunately along with that comes a lowering of blood pressure resulting in me feeling light headed when I exert myself. I get feeling run down and super poor circulation occurs too. So I am Drinking Beer, and eating Bacon. lol.
Our new Main Jet Building has 3 flights of stairs that I run up and down constantly.. so My work helps facilitate my fitness.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm rubbing my wife's feet, shoulders, and doing the honey do list. Taking her out for supper and buttering her up for the upcoming season so that I might be able to leave for the mountains well she's at home driving our three sons to hockey games all week. I'm a bad bad man but I love her.

apex88

Reaction score
How to Prepare for Snowmobiling
1. Go to your local snowmobile dealer, smile and give the first guy you see $200. This will get you used to spending money there on a regular basis.

2. Fill a 45-gallon barrel with sand. Lower it into a hole. Now lift it out. If you can, add water to the sand and try it again. Do this 5 times per day. This will get your back in shape for lifting your sled out of the deep snow.
3. Tie a rope to a heavy-duty spring. Pull the rope repeatedly with each arm until the pain in your shoulders meets somewhere in middle your back. This will get you in shape for starting your bud's sled, which he conveniently forgot was out of gas. It's best to do this exercise while someone is spraying starting fluid into your nose and eyes also.
4. Drink four ounces of cod liver oil mixed with a strong laxative. Dress with long underwear, wool pants, snowmobile bibs, insulated boots and heavy coat. Walk far into the woods without any paper products and wait for a personal emergency. This get you prepare for the Beer shits that come out of nowhere, and at the wrong time.
5. Place your hands in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes. Put the carburetor from your lawn mower in the bottom of your deep freeze. Now climb in the deep freeze, shut the lid and overhaul it while holding a pen light in your mouth. This gets you prepared to work on your sled in the freezing cold and black of night. Advanced riders do this with a Leatherman tool
6. Dress up in your new $350 snowmobile bibs. Pour 2 stroke oil down the right leg, gasoline down the other and Peppermint Schnapps and Beer all over the front. Fill your boots with ice cubes and ask your wife or girlfriend to dance. This will prepare her for the stops at the local bars during a ride.
7. Put on a Balaclava and a full-face helmet. Attempt to drink hot chocolate through the opening. Advanced riders attempt this while riding a lawn tractor over in the nearest farmers' plowed field.
8. Find a place where you can pay $3.50 a litre for regular gas; $19.99 per litre of oil; $16 for a Hamburger and frozen French Fries; $3 for a coke and $160 to sleep in a cold cabin on a bed with springs sticking through the mattress. Stay for two nights, minimum. This will prepare you on the high cost of your future winter trips.
9. Practice explaining to your banker why you need another loan for a $70,000 truck to pull the four $20,000 sleds, on your $15,000 trailer that you still owe $50,000 on.
Now, you are 50% ready, and somewhat conditioned to head for the trails and ride your sled.

Top Bottom