What would buy for a diesel truck?

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First post, thought I would chime in on the topic. I just went through the same debate, for me it was either the King Ranch, Longhorn or a distant choice the Denali HD. I am a Dodge guy, still own a 2001 3/4 ton cummins with over 450,000 kms, previously had an 04, and 07 Cummins. I went into the buying process with my heart set on the Ford KR. My parents own a 12 Denali Duramax, I've spent some time behind the wheel and they are sweet trucks but lack a lot of luster for the price and prestige of being a Denali. In the end I pulled the trigger on a 2012 1 ton Longhorn, I went with the Russett brown seats which are very similar to the KR, they don't have the cowboy stitching on the seats. For the money the Dodge had a lot more options for less money. It is a lot nicer than the KR and leaps and bounds nicer than the Denali. For those looking there are good deals out there, I paid $60,000 for a loaded CCSB white monotone, the only option it doesn't have is the ram box.

And those that say your truck will get 13-1400 kms per tank because your factory computer says so are totally out to lunch, drive it to empty and see what the actual kms are, you will be very surprised at how short you will come of 1400.

Welcome ! Great first post ......

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price is a good point. I wasn't favoring any brand when I went diesel shopping. But the Dodge was consistently $8-10k cheaper than the Fords or Chevs for a fully loaded truck. I also liked the fact Dodge wasn't using urea. It's a simpler system and less junk to remove when deleting.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lacombe dodge told me if they do the deletes they won't void warranty on a 2012 3500

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 2010 dodge mega cab dually , h&s mini max full egr delete plus intake tubes full turbo back exhaust and cold air intake and its far from what my duramax was . my next truck will be a duramax for sure

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lacombe dodge told me if they do the deletes they won't void warranty on a 2012 3500
I talked to Lacombe dodge when I was going to do my deletes. I decided to keep all my arms, legs and vital organs and did the deletes myself. They want alot of coin to do deletes.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Duramax "ultimate gfx" edition. Before doing dpf delete I was getting about 800-900km to a tank. Now with full dpf and urea deletes I am getting over 1400km to a tank. Not to mention its a complete animal! I was raised a GM guy and will probably die a GM guy so I am pretty biased. Just test drive the truck you would want from all 3 and buy the one you like the best.

I have the same truck but a 2011. How much did the full deletes cost ya and wich programmer did you go with? Seriously thinking of it too.
Thanks and i love mine too.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sales guy at a gm dealership told me that on the LMLs the urea only kicks on at 80 km/hr or higher so the engine can work "dirtier and harder" so the urea can clean up the extra emissions... getting better highway mileage... im not familiar with the urea system on these trucks yet

or is he just blowing smoke up my ass

He is wrong the truck will re-gen even when at idle. I have the 2011 ultimate with 40,000 on it with zero issues. Awesome truck. Thinking of doing some deletes now tho.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is wrong the truck will re-gen even when at idle. I have the 2011 ultimate with 40,000 on it with zero issues. Awesome truck. Thinking of doing some deletes now tho.

i knew that about the re-gen not sure about the urea into the exaust

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to Lacombe dodge when I was going to do my deletes. I decided to keep all my arms, legs and vital organs and did the deletes myself. They want alot of coin to do deletes.

Qouted me $2500! Parts alone are $12-1500 at least so $1000 to install and keep my warranty ? Not sure they are that far off!

steve a

Reaction score
I'm a chev guy at heart bought an 03 ford 6.0 and broke me in maint so got 2011 dodge 6.7 HO and could'nt be happer and get 800 to 900 km empty and about 500 km pulling bobcat and thats any where from 90km to 125km and i run the tank down to the last 50km before refilling . got 26000km on it now. like the fact it doesnt rev up like the ford on the big hills just torque's though. Dodge there the best can't beat them. there i said it,but i say that about any thing i'm driving lol

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same truck but a 2011. How much did the full deletes cost ya and wich programmer did you go with? Seriously thinking of it too.
Thanks and i love mine too.

I went with h&s mini maxx which is 900. 5" flo pro exhaust with no muffler was About 400. I also did the downpipe and got one from diamond eye for 260 and a FASS titanium 150gph lift pump for 700. The downpipe and lift pump aren't manditory to do emissions delete but I highly recommend doing both. The downpipe lowers egts and helps with exhaust flow. And if you don't have a lift pump and you run the mini maxx on the 150hp setting, you will starve the engine of fuel at full throttle. I also did the h&s pyrometer kit for 120-150 I can't remember exactly. Installed everything myself so saved a lot on labour. Ordered everything online through alligator performance. Gonna do a full egr delete in the spring as well.

Top Bottom