What works best?

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran great He put about 1200 kms on it. Just at the end of the season it started to fill the case with fuel when it was shut down for awhile just had to shut gas off.
No biggy think it is maybe needle and seets or maybe a float adjustment.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
SaskSummit, I ran a 98X for many years, moved the fuel shut off switch to the outside dash so you could shut it off wihe ease, they love to flood. You may have already done that but I thought I would throw it out there for you.
Cheers.

Ran great He put about 1200 kms on it. Just at the end of the season it started to fill the case with fuel when it was shut down for awhile just had to shut gas off.
No biggy think it is maybe needle and seets or maybe a float adjustment.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i will have a look at the carbs and see if i can get it fixed but that sounds like a good idea. Just don't know if my 11 year old will remember to shut it off he seems to forget on his dirt bike now and then.

sledhead

Reaction score
I've got the Dynatec, K&N, dyna jet kit, and Muzzy exhaust on my 750, beats the crap out of a stock unit

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brute Force Boy don't use K&N filter on your quad. Sure they advertise better air flow but they don't filter out the micro fines which do the damage to your engine. A highly recommended filter is the Twin Air system although it is a little pricier than K&N but way more effective at keeping the dirt out of the engine.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Brute Force Boy don't use K&N filter on your quad. Sure they advertise better air flow but they don't filter out the micro fines which do the damage to your engine. A highly recommended filter is the Twin Air system although it is a little pricier than K&N but way more effective at keeping the dirt out of the engine.

What is the mircon rating on the Twin Air system ? K & N advertise their product rating starts @ 5.5 mircon rating. I cannot find a spec rating on any certain filter... So who knows. I use two different types of after market filters on my vehicles & atv's & keep them clean & oiled well.(Believe this to be the key). My inspections of the venture tubing (induction) after the filter have not shown any signs of contamination, They are very clean & I am happy with that. Been using after market filters since 1995.... No problems.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Sportsman has had a K&N since new. Over 20,000 miles without a dirt/dust or otherwise in the intake track. Cleaned and oiled every 500 miles.

I have seen dirt tracking in very type of air filter system when maintenance is ignored.

The uni-filter, twin-air or K&N are all well over 5 microns when not oiled. All will cause problems if over-oiled. All three are great filters if oiled properly. All three can be dryed and reused if the machine is swamped.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the specs for the TwinAir system off of Amsoil website and there is also a video on air filtration. I used to use K&N in my chev diesel and in the grizzly. I had problems with the filter collapsing from the induction force of the turbo and you had to be particulary careful on how much oil you used after cleaning. The induction forces would pull the oil out of the filter and start making a light film on the air flow sensor and then troubles started to arise. A couple other people i know have also had the same troubles. With all the dusty trail riding w/ the quads and excetra it's a goos idea to run and outerwear over the K&N but then your restricting the amount of surface for air flow. At that point your no better off from using the stock filter. I guest alot of this is my opinion at the moment as i can't find the article to back my statements about K&N. Will post it as soon as i can find it again. Or maybe i have just been out here at work way to long and miss my quad. Looking for something to comment/argue about.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll stand by comments: All will collaspe or cause problems if not cleaned enough, or if over oiled.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey crazy-wheeler; So what are you running now for filters in your truck & atv ? Have you gone back to stock ?

Last edited by a moderator:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am using the AFE pro-guard 7 cold air intake setup in my '04 cummins. As for the quad i bought a '07 brute force 750i this spring and am still using the stock filter. I was using the K&N w/ outerwear pre-filter on the grizzly that i previously owned. It was even showing signs of collapsing and i was careful not to over oil the filter and performed regular maintenance on the machine. I would like to use the TwinAir on the brute, like the way it seals in the air box compared to the stock filter. But at this time i don't think i can slip that cost under the wife's radar. She keeps telling me those expenses could be better spent on baby clothes.
How about you Bigfoot, what are your preferences for filters?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
crazy_wheeler... Don't know is I have any preferences it's just what I ended up with. K&N used in 6.5 Chev for 8 yrs. The ladies cummins has a K&N also,Super Duty using AFE magnum force & K&N filters in bikes... Maybe I have been lucky as I have not had any problems. (I tend to think I do good maintenence). Years ago it appeared there was not that must selection or maybe I was not just aware of all that was available. For now things appear well.

TeamForce211

Reaction score
Brute Force Boy... if your gonna put on a snorkel kit, id say go on mudinmyblood.com and get the instructions off there. thats what i did on my 750 costs about $70 and only took me about 4 hours start to finish. jmo oh also i have a hmf slip on on my bike, didnt notice alot of power difference but i LOVE the sound.... how u like the lift?? how big did u go??

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teamforce211, thanks for the link for the snorkle, I was just on ebay and saw a HMF swamp pipe (has the bend up so you can go through the deep stuff) looks cool.
I used the stanless steel lift kit off ebay, gave about an inch and a half lift, not a lot but at least its not tippy.

Top Bottom