What size of carbides to buy?

blar

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some new Slydog ski's and the carbides are extra. What am I looking for when choosing size, style, brand?

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plan on hitting up a few thousand kms on the Ontario trail system with your Mtn sled? I dont know why anyone would want to run carbides around here...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUT CARBIDES ARE FUNNY TO WATCH SOMEONE LOAD UP AND GO OVER THE BARS THO..

sent from my htc

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run trails around here and have a trailer equiped with superglides then why not? They last alot longer and give better traction.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use carbides mid season and regular bars end and early season. it doesnt really matter any carbide will work well. its just pointless chewing them up in the early season and late season. a set of carbides will last 5+ seasons if you take them off in time. are they skis dual keel? 2 carbides per ski?

blar

Reaction score
Haven't bought any ski's yet. Not sure what to buy but I want something other than stock.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've got lots of carbides in the shop. I take them off as it is one of the first things I doo to a new machine and replace with mild steel "runners". There may be one or two times a year when I have to get off the machine to grab the skis to help turn her around and that is all.

As stated above carbides chew decks, ramps, concrete, and are terrible at sticking to the bare rocks on our "open all year" creek crossings.

blar

Reaction score
So could my hard steering issues just be from having carbides on my stock ski's or are the M1000 ski's still crap? Should I spend the money on new ski's?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
probably from the carbides..i had simmons skis on my m8 andthey had dual carbides..and i put spl powder pros on it with hardwelds or skags....and its a world of difference in steering
So could my hard steering issues just be from having carbides on my stock ski's or are the M1000 ski's still crap? Should I spend the money on new ski's?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my sled I put the carbides in the toolbox and ran skags. That is until the 700km mark and noticed one of the skag bolts in the driveway. Had to know it was one of the sleds. Flipped over the new one and the skag was basically gone and the ski chewed up. Put on the new carbides and ran them the rest of the season. The worked alot better for me and still look like new. I do run those dollys with the big wheels on them now though to prevent damage on the driveway and trailer.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
possibly. but grease the piss out of your front spindles, they need it.

Top Bottom