What do you think of the M1000 CAT?

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just toying with the idea of trying a Cat this sledding season and was wondering what you guys think of them.Been a long time since i owned one and I am thinking of trying them again.Looking for some advice.Thanks!:beer::)

Last edited:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its all what you get used to. I have an M1000 and like the ride..I am used to it and prefer Cat. I find Polaris a bit tippy and found Ski Doo all together different to ride..I like the power of the 1000...but they all seem real similar when on the mountain..the M1000 torque helps with the last grind up a hill but they all seem to go up at the same speed...I would buy another one..

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol woops i just saw cat and assumed quads lol sorry my bad

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good question..I have a lighter seat..took of some insualtion..different can..a few other minor mods..no different than most others I suppose..heavier than an M8 for sure..takes more muscle to ride hard all day..

Rufus777

Reaction score
My M-8 goes anywhere a M-1000 will go and is way more fun to ride!!But if you want the big 1000 I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed, they are light and tough, my friends that ride them are having no problems with them.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M-8 goes anywhere a M-1000 will go and is way more fun to ride!!But if you want the big 1000 I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed, they are light and tough, my friends that ride them are having no problems with them.

I'ld like to see your M8 go where My M1000 goes. notta chance. unless your on gas

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 won't outclimb a M1000 - period!

M1000 rides "heavier" but that big motor is a beast, if you are a serious climber, that is the unit for you. the M8 is a nicer all-around sled that has more universal appeal IMHO.

good luck, both are great!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 won't outclimb a M1000 - period!

M1000 rides "heavier" but that big motor is a beast, if you are a serious climber, that is the unit for you. the M8 is a nicer all-around sled that has more universal appeal IMHO.

good luck, both are great!

Agreed, if you climb and are serious a M1000 is the machine, if you want a compromise and being the first to the top does not matter as much as having fun in the trees and boondocking etc, the m8 is the ride for you.

All depends on riding style. Both are pretty proven machines.

I rode a M8 162 last winter and it made my XP 163 look not very good.

If you can swing it rent a couple of different rides before you commit.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any speculation on the new M8 performance compared to the M10?

I'm thinkin on going back to AC as well, and with 160 HP outta the box and a substantial weight advantage, I'm leaning towards the 2010 M8 being the hotter machine.

Yes / No / Maybe So

I would lean toward giving them a year to see if all them lightweight cranks explode. :eek:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can also say I can not boondock any better on My wifes M8 than on my 1000...and they both climb good...climbing is not everything though. Hit Revy a couple days after 4 feet of snowfall and more power will prove itself...if you can handle a few extra pounds by 1000. I guess the new m8 will have more hp but 2009, and 2008 models are cheap right now..many still in the crate

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can also say I can not boondock any better on My wifes M8 than on my 1000...and they both climb good...climbing is not everything though. Hit Revy a couple days after 4 feet of snowfall and more power will prove itself...if you can handle a few extra pounds by 1000. I guess the new m8 will have more hp but 2009, and 2008 models are cheap right now..many still in the crate

I think we all know that the dragon out climbs the M8 and M1000, but i'm sure you all knew that aready....:d:d:d:d:beer::beer::beer: See you all in 10 days

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good..you better bring that Dragon..we will get pissed and run that bad boy across Kookanoosa...drowned dragon

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good..you better bring that Dragon..we will get pissed and run that bad boy across Kookanoosa...drowned dragon

Don't have room in the caddy otherwise i would.........maybe you should bring the cats to go in the lake..........I love a wet P&((Y.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

kookanaosa,,,, you guys going for the week??? sounds like a gooder have fun??

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya..we will be there for 12 days...Scuba for 4 days...about 4 groups...weather forecast is crazy hot

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is part of my reason for looking at cats again:)

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
what ever happened to, I forget who it was, SLP maybe?? Who claimed they were getting 247 hp with JUST a single pipe, and a fuel controller. That was all the claim until the snow actually hit the ground and never heard anything of it again. If you could get 247 ponies out of a N/A cat, I'll be on one next year

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hp numbers are a bit of a game...SLP claims 25 with can, pipe, etc but not true. Those high numbers take into account weight loss equates HP..the best cat stuff bar none is CPC and Speedwerx...there numbers are the honest ones..look up there sites..they tell the facts

Top Bottom