Well, what to do for 2015. Doo or Poo.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I am going to give you all free reign to post what you wish as long as it directly relates to my dilemma.

I am in the market for a new sled for next winter. Currently on a 2012 Summit X 154. About 3000 miles on it since new and needs a new motor. It was a spring order '12 who I took over the purchase on and the buyer took the discount rather than extended year warranty. So its out of warranty and needs a motor. Regardless, it will get the motor and it will become my second sled when I sell my '09 (which also has a brand new short block).

I have been on the fence for a year or so. Go to the Pro, or stick with Doo on a XM. Now my reasons for wanting to go to the Pro are very obvious for me which I will list, my reasons for maybe going to the XM are also obvious. What I want is pure experience related responses based on fact. Obviously I am asking for a lot but I can weed through the crap.

As a rider, I am pretty much a lightweight, almost middle aged guy who wants to be in the ugliest, steep, tree'd, drainage, technical bomb hole possible. My abilities are decent as far as I am concerned. I sometimes ride with some exceptional guys with far more ability than I have but am not going to turn down a challenge. Straight up climbs and meadows are not for me.

SO the match up 2015 XM - X 163 or 2015 Pro RMK 163

On the Pro -

Its lighter overall and as a light guy I notice it
Even though makes less HP, the power feels just as efficient due to its clutching (being lighter helps)
On edge, washed out, the RMK will still move forward vs. the XM which wants to point up
Kick some snow under a Pro and it will climb out of most holes with its rigid suspension
Simple engine design
Clutching with belt drive doesn't need lots of attention
Works well for aggressive riders

What I consider further negatives is that I am still not used to pointing this thing in a straight line. I am very comfortable riding it in technical terrain. I am not familar with dealer support for local Poo dealers (cycle works) and warranty issues should they come up.

on the XM -

Still a heavier machine
Great power throughout the rpm range
Very confident in my dealer and the support they provide
Very comfortable on the XM as its an easy transition from my '12 (which already has various upgrades)
T-motion makes up for the 16" wide track an responds to rider input with less effort than the XP
Still not happy with the soft suspension design of the XM. Torsion springs need to go.
The TRA needs attention. Full rebuilds of springs, bushings, and so on and with the amount of riding we do I would be doing clutch rebuilds half way through a season if done properly.

I know the grass isn't greener on the other side. I have just about convinced myself its time for a change. But a RMK is still unfamilar to me. It would be like going from my GM to a Dodge.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow this thread is sure going to be be a good one to read. I myself love my 2014 pro and my son's 2013 RMk 600 but I am a Polaris guy now for 20 years. Some of my riding buddies have had no issues ever with their pro's and have put on lots of miles. All the brands have issues. The dealer issue is a big one for me and the dealer in Pincher Creek has been great to me and the mechanic is one of the best. I had issues with the ski-doo dealer in Lethbridge so I wouldn't buy a sled from them.The warranty was a big thing so I bought the 4 year warranty for my pro just to be safe. The pro is easy to ride for both my son and myself

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Describing the type of riding that you want to do the Pro would be a better choice. It's a more predictable and forgiving machine in a side hill. The XM is a great all round machine, good power, initiates side hills and down hill corners easier and better trail characterists. However, If I want to see one of my doo buddies stuck I find a steep side hill through the trees where they can't carry much speed. Almost always I'll come back the sled sticking straight up the hill. Either way there both good machines. I would try to get some seat time on both before making the decision and see which one works best for you.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Describing the type of riding that you want to do the Pro would be a better choice. It's a more predictable and forgiving machine in a side hill. The XM is a great all round machine, good power, initiates side hills and down hill corners easier and better trail characterists. However, If I want to see one of my doo buddies stuck I find a steep side hill through the trees where they can't carry much speed. Almost always I'll come back the sled sticking straight up the hill. Either way there both good machines. I would try to get some seat time on both before making the decision and see which one works best for you.
Your "friend" should get a turbo like you do Aaron. HaHa;)

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your "friend" should get a turbo like you do Aaron. HaHa;)
Lol.... That does give one a bit of an advantage, but I just rode three days with a guy on bone stock 155 assault that made us all look stupid! Doo and Poo riders alike!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the type of riding your doing I bet the t3 in a 163 would be a hoot. I hear from a few dealers the warranties that are coming with the new doos are really good and cover everything very well.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2013 xm 154 had several issues with it, put on 1500 km's on it and the ride is way to soft even when stiffened up. Been riding doo's for 17 years after my 09 Xp constant engine failures 4 of them and then the 13, top gear bolt head in chaincase shearing off, and the fight with Bombardier to warranty it, back shock failing and injectors failing. I decided to sell and went with a 14 163 polaris pro. Overall I find my pro much better handling on trail, much easier in the trees and more predictable when crossing trenches on hills and in the trees. The XM had a tendency to bounce all over when going through trenches or old lines. Power wise the XM pulled alot harder then the pro but was always adjusting the clickers to maintain RPM and after 4 or 5 runs thru the trees it always dropped rpm. I've yet to have the pro drop rpm its consistent at 8200rpm all day regardless of how many runs I do. The one thing I do miss of the xm is how easy the steering is on it. Each manufacture has its good and bad traits. Loved my Xp although motor was always the weak point on it the chassis took a beating on it and stood up well. The XM just didn't sit well and when started having issues it soured me from Doo. Kinda wish I had bought the pro instead but was a doolaide drinker believed the hype and tried it now I know and much prefer the Pro.

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Doo but I ride with lots of Pro's
the difference is personal and what you get used to both are good machines
But -here is the but in my opinion
Pro issues are more nagging stuff that shows the fit & finish of how they make
there stuff
gas can holder and gas can- buy stuff at Canadian Tire might be better
throttle handle issues - oh do not tighten the Allen key on your throttle as it might stick
poor running boards with snow build up at end of tunnel
You will need to do a fix kit(replace your pistons after 1500km) come on really I just paid 13k and now spend another $1500
The Pro rear bumper looks nice but please donot ask a Pro to tow anyone out
No real quality rear bags for tunnel
There gas &boil consumption is not up to par with Doo. Doo uses less period
most Pro riders add a small amount of oil to there gas tank to ensure Motor does not wear pistons out too easily
the dealer issue can also be huge so buy where it works best
I live in Edmonton area and Martin Equip is Awesome so the Doo dealer thing is huge for me
The Doo is a more tight fitting build
birdie

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have spent maybe 10minutes on an XM, 5 minutes on a freeride and 10 minutes on a pro, and am actually more a doo fan, but have to say that my first ride on the pro had me surprised. It felt so much effortless that even if it doesnt have the ponies one could get it where it needs to be anyways. I think one will be in the garage as a backup this fall.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Doo but I ride with lots of Pro's
the difference is personal and what you get used to both are good machines
But -here is the but in my opinion
Pro issues are more nagging stuff that shows the fit & finish of how they make
there stuff
gas can holder and gas can- buy stuff at Canadian Tire might be better
throttle handle issues - oh do not tighten the Allen key on your throttle as it might stick
poor running boards with snow build up at end of tunnel
You will need to do a fix kit(replace your pistons after 1500km) come on really I just paid 13k and now spend another $1500
The Pro rear bumper looks nice but please donot ask a Pro to tow anyone out
No real quality rear bags for tunnel
There gas &boil consumption is not up to par with Doo. Doo uses less period
most Pro riders add a small amount of oil to there gas tank to ensure Motor does not wear pistons out too easily
the dealer issue can also be huge so buy where it works best
I live in Edmonton area and Martin Equip is Awesome so the Doo dealer thing is huge for me
The Doo is a more tight fitting build
birdie

The 13 & up Pro's get mileage on par with the XM's unless you are talking about 100% trail riding.
A Mountain Addiction gas can setup works great.
13 and newer are not having piston/cylinder issues like before.
If you snow check a Pro, depending on the model, you can get a whole bunch of extras at no charge for next year including tunnel bags and different bumpers.
Adding oil to the fuel tank of a Pro does nothing for the bottom end as the injectors are high on the transfer ports not on the throttle bodies. Only the piston crown and rings see this extra oil. The thing to do is turn up the oil pump.
The snow build-up at the back of the running boards is annoying. This should be better on the 15's with the paint.

That being said the Doos are definitely built better they just don't have the right mountain ergonomics IMHO. When my XM friend tried my Pro he said it felt more 'electric' (smoother).
If the XM would lose 40 lbs, straighten up the steering post and move it back 5 inches I would probably be back on one.

Polaris prices for parts is stupid high ($450 for a lower A-arm!). They are clearly trying to recover revenue from all the engine failures in years gone by.

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat..... well kinda. I have a 13 pro that is stock with a turbo lol. But I am not happy with my kit so do I spend the 6g on a new kit and then a skid and a 174 3" or just snow check a t3 and put on a turbo. I hate these decisions that result in fun either way.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 13 & up Pro's get mileage on par with the XM's unless you are talking about 100% trail riding.
A Mountain Addiction gas can setup works great.
13 and newer are not having piston/cylinder issues like before.
If you snow check a Pro, depending on the model, you can get a whole bunch of extras at no charge for next year including tunnel bags and different bumpers.
Adding oil to the fuel tank of a Pro does nothing for the bottom end as the injectors are high on the transfer ports not on the throttle bodies. Only the piston crown and rings see this extra oil. The thing to do is turn up the oil pump.
The snow build-up at the back of the running boards is annoying. This should be better on the 15's with the paint.

That being said the Doos are definitely built better they just don't have the right mountain ergonomics IMHO. When my XM friend tried my Pro he said it felt more 'electric' (smoother).
If the XM would lose 40 lbs, straighten up the steering post and move it back 5 inches I would probably be back on one.

Polaris prices for parts is stupid high ($450 for a lower A-arm!). They are clearly trying to recover revenue from all the engine failures in years gone by.

Id say pro running boards r best stockers hands down. Rode deep wet snow today and only bit built up at back(but i got a wrap). Never slip on them. And $450 for AArm?? Yikes my glued ones r 230 ish and previous years were $160-190. I found polaris parts resonable for most part except for small screws, bolts etc. but varies wit dealers. I think if u found a great dealer then maybe stick wit them. Hard to find now a days

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent rode an xm but have tried out the free-ride, being a polaris guy for years i gave the free ride an honest shot and it just feels clumsy. granted it is wider than the xm and does not have t -motion.

Being that you have been on a doo for so long i would give a pro a try or you will always be left wondering.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aside from build quality, the only thing the doo has over the pro is mid to full throttle power. The pro has a better bottom end power IMO. That is pretty easy to over come with. It is far easier and cheaper to do that, then trying to 'improve' the short comings of the doo.
Honestly though, niether one is bad, or perfect.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the fence. I just can't seem to get comfortable on my Pro. I find on sidehills it will wash out on my leaving me pointed uphill. Running boards too narrow as the vertical handlebars seem to force me back on the sled which puts my feet on a too narrow spot and then end up fighting to stay on the sled. I find my XM's way more predictable in the tight trees and technical situations. Never had a seconds trouble with my three XM's and honestly the sled in my fleet with consistent issues is the Pro. Now it's creeping up on time to put pistons / fix kit in. If my youngest didn't love it so much I would replace it with another XM. I know lots of guys love the pro and if it works for them that's great. It's all what your comfortable on so buy what you like. For me however I would even ride my Nytro in favor of the Pro. I just can't seem to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on your riding style. If you are use to a Doo like i am you will really notice the running boards on a poo. Hands down they are the grippiest but i hate the fact that you can't put your boot into the stirrup. Racing down the hills and into corners my foot always seemed like it would push off the poo running boards. They arnt as wide either in my opinion. The suspension is hands down the best in the market for the polaris. I wish skidoo could get there **** together and make a decent suspension that can handle the biggest whoops without bottoming out (i guess they do on the free ride but not available on the XM). Although the polaris is a lot less horse you can't really tell since its so much lighter. I have heard horror stories for both brands. I myself will only buy skidoo since i really like my dealer but they are both great sleds.

I will be going down to chile south america this year with chris burrandt and will be forced to ride a polaris so ill really get to tell what they are like there! Can't wait!

doobest

Reaction score
Went from a doo to a pro after 12 years, only rode in the hills 3 times this year but the poo is a lot easer for me to handle (am also old and slow and like the trees) but I was on a 08 xp. Tried a freinds xm and was really impressed. Am thinking about a turbo to overcome the lack of power but that is more for the grin factor

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id say pro running boards r best stockers hands down. Rode deep wet snow today and only bit built up at back(but i got a wrap). Never slip on them. And $450 for AArm?? Yikes my glued ones r 230 ish and previous years were $160-190. I found polaris parts resonable for most part except for small screws, bolts etc. but varies wit dealers. I think if u found a great dealer then maybe stick wit them. Hard to find now a days

You are quoting American Internet prices. Have a look at any Canadian Polaris website, a lower glued arm $469. Mind you it is a kit with all the pins, bushings and balljoint. Unfortunately you can't buy a bare arm.

Top Bottom