Wedge's with Rotax power

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are at least a few guys running wedges with rotax power. What are you guys doing for air filters?

I have some pods, but they hit the chassis, and the jack-shaft. Are the 15 degree angled ones enough to clear, or do I need to come up with something more creative?

This 2.75" O.D of the carb mouth is a pain, I have 2.5" and 3" aluminum bends sitting in the garage, but of course that would be too easy...

Oh and yes I know, I know, I need to get the drop and roll done, so the jack-shaft isn't in play anymore, it will happen come spring.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a rotax in a wedge. Why? did you just have one layin around? for the 45s use PVC plastic from Rona and cut slots in it to shrink or expand.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the rotax in my wedge chassis, i have the angled boot and pods attached with a 2.5" piece of pvc pipe. These angled boots are getting hard to find, with the help of a fellow S&Mer i was able to get a couple more. How many are you looking for?

Attachments

• Wicked Sensation! 007.jpg
    Wicked Sensation! 007.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 304

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand the tripple but the 670 or 583 just seems dumb. Why put in less power, less effiecient out dated rotary valved engine in there? Its like pulling out a 350 chevy and installing a 302 ford............. dont make sense.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a 670 mod [ which is up to a 740cc ] has 175 hp and 115 to 120 ftlbs tq.... u tell me that a po po 800 even done up some has that.... also seems that the rotary valve engines run better on some days where reeds don't... [ cold to hot and light to heavy air ] ... my buddy has a 740 and will some times spank my 800r with mods on certain days....

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here's the rotax in my wedge chassis, i have the angled boot and pods attached with a 2.5" piece of pvc pipe. These angled boots are getting hard to find, with the help of a fellow S&Mer i was able to get a couple more. How many are you looking for?

im gonna say those pretty pipes are Neils work

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for 2 angled boots.

I was given the sled for free, it wasn't running, and someone previously had already swapped a 583 into it, is the why.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sch40 pvc, great idea! Can easily sand down if I can't get my existing pods over it. I will go grab some 45's after work, and a couple rubber connectors for the carb side, and should be done.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a 670 mod [ which is up to a 740cc ] has 175 hp and 115 to 120 ftlbs tq.... u tell me that a po po 800 even done up some has that.... also seems that the rotary valve engines run better on some days where reeds don't... [ cold to hot and light to heavy air ] ... my buddy has a 740 and will some times spank my 800r with mods on certain days....

A 740 making 175 horse and 120 lbs/ft........... While that is possible there is no way that its reliable. It running race gas and is by no means apples to apples.
I am comparing a rotax 670 to a 700 poo. Its just a dumb swap. Unless like i said you just so happen to have one sitting around.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya he's on race gas... smells awsome.... pulls like a train too...

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a few rotaris conversion, and i will say even the the 521 with pipes and ported made MOST 650 with pipes and head work look silly.we put a 670 HO with slp pipes and polaris clutches in a 95 xcr 600 chassis and it would EAT my 2001 xc 800 with single SLP pipe, SLP head , V-FORCE REEDS AND BOOST BOTTLE,Hard to beat a healthy 670.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the "old rotary plate" intake will be happier with boost then reeds. I may be wrong but I intend to find out.

I already sourced my throttle bodies, tps, map, injectors, and fpr, just need a fuel pump, and the engine management.

Since it was a free sled I am going to make a low budget mod (yeah it is a bit of an oxymoron) out of it, starting with efi, then boost.

But until the snow melts I just want to enjoy riding it in fields and ditches.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a few rotaris conversion, and i will say even the the 521 with pipes and ported made MOST 650 with pipes and head work look silly.we put a 670 HO with slp pipes and polaris clutches in a 95 xcr 600 chassis and it would EAT my 2001 xc 800 with single SLP pipe, SLP head , V-FORCE REEDS AND BOOST BOTTLE,Hard to beat a healthy 670.

gotta agree if poo made an engine that was worth more than a boat anchor in the wedge days nobody would of done the rotax swap.
but that was not the case as is the reason LOTS of peeps did it.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Neil performed his magic, actually just took it back to him for some dyno runs. Let me look tonight i believe i have 2 extra boots, if so i'll pass them onto you dvstr8r if you like.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Neil performed his magic, actually just took it back to him for some dyno runs. Let me look tonight i believe i have 2 extra boots, if so i'll pass them onto you dvstr8r if you like.

That would be great let me know. I am going to try home depot on the way home for the PVC solution as well.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta agree if poo made an engine that was worth more than a boat anchor in the wedge days nobody would of done the rotax swap.
but that was not the case as is the reason LOTS of peeps did it.

Your calling the 700 poo a boat anchor? BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA just shows the skidupid in you!!!!! The 700 poo is still considered the best engine they ever built. Anybody that calls it a boat anchor is obviuosly a short bus window licker!!!

As for boost yes the rotary valve is 10 times better than reeds. I have seen boosted 670's that were just freakin amazing and with a 136 track!!

Top Bottom