VHF Radios

MissAtlantic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the winter fast approaching, I thought I might bring this topic back to the top - VHF Radios - and how to get one.

Right now, Western Midland Communications is having a Summer Blowout Sale on iCom F121 VHF radios!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347126385.588857.jpg

With Medler buying a radio from these guys, I've become pretty familiar with them - I guess you could call me a frequent customer. I've learned how to properly install the radios (hood-mount antenna) and program frequencies. So - dont let them charge you for installation - you CAN do it yourself!

Med and I also rented a radio from Western Midland Communications when my parents visited - put the radio (came with a magnetic-mount antenna) in the truck they were driving and could communicate back and worth while on our trek thru AB & BC.

So, for anyone who is considering buying a VHF radio for their vehicles, I would highly recommend getting in touch with the guys at Western Midland Communications (or me, if you're not near Calgary and are interested in purchasing - they are only 2 blocks from where I work).

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it to my dad, as we use them in our farm equipment, but he didn't really say a whole lot about it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I mentioned it to my dad, as we use them in our farm equipment, but he didn't really say a whole lot about it.

Chance, what channel/frequency do you use? One of the Ladd ones or something else?

I'm not sure of the next part of the process out here. Yes, we communicate with the logging trucks and/or other traffic on the logging roads but to be talking general snowmobiling/quading things on their channels isn't acceptable.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I would just be looking for a hand held marine unit. I'm sure that would also work on a logging road if required right?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I would just be looking for a hand held marine unit. I'm sure that would also work on a logging road if required right?
They will work,but not as much power as a truck mount
i was wondering the same thing, doc........ Good question!!!
Should call these guys..I have talked to guys from west of revy and they are going east through the pass

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they use channels but just wondering the actual frequencies. Just wondering if they use anything in the 2M radio range.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but the marine handhelds are not the correct frequencies for Ladd 1 and the logging road frequencies. Now if you just got a regular handheld VHF and programmed it to the correct frequencies that would work but are less wattages than a truck mounts. So less range but will work.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I has been about 10 years since I used mine but if I remember right they would operate in the 144.000 to 148.000 range.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250 channel is pretty much the standard now and they are programmed in chronological order which is much nicer then the old days of surfing thru 120 channels to find the road your on. Like anything you get what you pay for, and in this case IMHO your getting obsolete radios for a hefty price.
For us, most of our good sledding is accessed through resourse roads. We give the folks that are making a living on them roads the right of way and have never been run off. On the other side of the coin, we've been privy to the radio chatter of guys been run into the tulips as a direct result of not having radios, or being asshats on private roads. Who's gonna argue with a loaded tanker or log truck ;)

On a seperate note, I was having my bride call km's for me.
Bride: 18 & going down
Random response: you hauling hard wood or soft wood?
Me: swerve all over laughing my bag off

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google VHF radio frequencies for more info Wikipedia has good info. Lots of rules and regs if you want to follow them. The main jist of the idea is you are not "allowed" to have a self programmable and you have to use certain frequencies within certain areas, some are for EMS, police, air traffic, etc. I use radios frequently for work, and do get bothered by the chit chat sometimes especially when calling km's on a dicey road. Main thing is etiquette, no chit chat on a busy channel find a dead channel and chat away is my opinion. But really this whole radio nazi thing is a bunch of bs people make it way more complicated than it needs to be.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As mentioned before, the hand held radios are lower watt and also deminish as the battery life is spent. They are fine as long as you don't leave the parking lot. There are so many channels out there now it's mind boggling. Seven years ago my 100 channel held them all. The ones in my area anyway. But now with my new one it has four banks holding 500 channels in all. I'm up to 265 now and the list grows every time I go in for an update every three months. Not to many know the rules of the road anymore. It use to ALWAYS be loaded trucks had the right of way. This means from the bush to town with or without a load on your back. Now with these RR channels and up and down direction of travel everyone figures the right of way is theirs. Common curtiousy is what you should be thinking about. But that's just my opinion.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
How much are these radios with 265 channels? Must be a fair bit a cash.If you need those many channels your more than just driving logging roads and listening to Ladd 1,2,3.
And as far as self programmable..illegal ? yes they are .But i figure they aint gonna send me to jail so i dont worry.and if you get pulled over,yank the mic out and then its a scanner.Not saying doing stuff thats illegal is good ,but there are alot worse things happening now

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
How much are these radios with 265 channels? Must be a fair bit a cash.If you need those many channels your more than just driving logging roads and listening to Ladd 1,2,3.

Mine is a Relm sold and serviced by Expert Mobile here in GP. It was $700 without the channel/volume control mic. Those are just over $800. The new digital Kenwoods are around $1000 and hold 1000 channels. There just seems to be no end to it....LOL

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If I remeber correctly hand helds have a max of 5 watts while truck mounted units have max wattage of 30, so you get ALOT more range. A handeld will work on a logging road as long as you have the proper frequencies, and as others have pointed out there are a pile of channels.

The other problem with handhelds is they are affected by hills and valleys because of the attached antenna, you mounted radio usually has a much higher mounted antenna so it really helps the range.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can pick up a new 128 channel Relm around here for 399.00. I just bought a new Kenwood NX-700, 512 channel, nice radio, paid $779.000 for it.

Top Bottom