Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06659b5b651ceb62f6f9396ad604b8c2.jpg

This works pretty good at protecting the PTT buttons and the screen.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those look like a real PIA to use all tucked away in containers? We had some of those radios and never had any luck with the battery in the cold. Got a Kenwood programmed by the local radio shop and no problems.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "Lock" button on all the time.
Yes, also helps (pretty much 100% stops) with the radio mic from being inadvertantly hit.
Saves rubbing off of numbers/letters on keys.
Prevents (hopefully) cracked LCD display.
Keeps radio looking brand new and no rub marks.

I prefer all my stuff to be in A1 condition and looked after.

Last thing I want is a damaged or broken radio in the back country when needed.

Just my thoughts only.
Others have differnt opinions I am sure.

Have a great season. Happy sledding.

Good question.

I've been putting my BCA Link in a thick sock for years in the main compartment of my avy bag. Just sold it and still looks brand new. I also think it helps keep it warm on cold days, reduce the weather effect on battery if you had to stay overnight, ect. Looking for a setup for my Baofeng now too, hard case idea you showed looks good.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those look like a real PIA to use all tucked away in containers? We had some of those radios and never had any luck with the battery in the cold. Got a Kenwood programmed by the local radio shop and no problems.
Radios are in jacket - waterproof container is for sat phone - only comes out if needed.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

I dont touch my radio all day when its in the container. Plus The volume switch is on the outside, so I dont take it out.

The case is to protect the radio from wear and tear, and the accidental keying of the PTT buttons while in the backpack.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

I dont touch my radio all day when its in the container. Plus The volume switch is on the outside, so I dont take it out.

The case is to protect the radio from wear and tear, and the accidental keying of the PTT buttons while in the backpack.

I see. We tried the boafang but just couldnt get them to work at all. Just a lot of clicking noises

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Kenwood radios are a little spendy, but are hands down the best radios we have found. We have converted pretty much every group we ride with. I think the BF are ok with groups that stay close to each other, but when your searching for people or have a group split up the Kenwood outshines every time.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Kenwood radios are a little spendy, but are hands down the best radios we have found. We have converted pretty much every group we ride with. I think the BF are ok with groups that stay close to each other, but when your searching for people or have a group split up the Kenwood outshines every time.
That was my findings. Even our BCA and Garmin Rinos work better.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the baofeng model. The radio Package I got from ray has been rock solid.

i can not recall model. They were red lol Belonged to guy I sled with After a few attempts with them we threw them in the bin

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That was my findings. Even our BCA and Garmin Rinos work better.

I can use the 17" Nagoya antennae on my 5WATT uv-5ra+ in my truck driving to KAKWA, with all the hills and turns and I can hear and talk to truckers 4miles away,..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

anyone use the leixen note 25 watt radio.. set one up but have not used it yet, seams pretty strong hitting the repeaters, what's best antennas for it..

https://youtu.be/_JHAio8eqS8

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what model in chirp do I need to select to be able to program this?

You would think UV-82HP but nope.
e49e826a318ac9929329e0cb14e8611c.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What error code is showing up??? The 82HP selection programmed a XR, I watched it.

But I would like to know what the difference between the two radios are.
Hmm, I'll try it again on an updated version of chirp. I was trying on my laptop.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What error code is showing up??? The 82HP selection programmed a XR, I watched it.

But I would like to know what the difference between the two radios are.
Yup it worked this time, thx.

Top Bottom