Vancouver Canucks for the Cup

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oilers got pretty much zero chance, just like the canucks do this year.

And I will bet oilers win another cup before canucks win their first.

Lanko

Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it I think the Canucks have a legitimate chance of winning the cup this year. They have the talent and depth, although I do question their character when it comes down to crunch time in the playoffs, they remind me a lot of the Senators a few years ago tons of talent, great regular season record then playoff time wet the bed, guess we'll see in the spring how things go.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it I think the Canucks have a legitimate chance of winning the cup this year. They have the talent and depth, although I do question their character when it comes down to crunch time in the playoffs, they remind me a lot of the Senators a few years ago tons of talent, great regular season record then playoff time wet the bed, guess we'll see in the spring how things go.

yes, a lot of the panels on sport shows are thinking this is a great year for the nucks. their downfall right now is the defence getting injured. they have broken a few club records this yr already. lets just hope the twins dont fall apart again like my ikea shelving!

zduck14

Reaction score
yes, a lot of the panels on sport shows are thinking this is a great year for the nucks. their downfall right now is the defence getting injured. they have broken a few club records this yr already. lets just hope the twins dont fall apart again like my ikea shelving!

Please enlighten the rest of us and tell us when the last time the Sedin's fell apart in the playoffs. They each have 24 points in 22 games the last two years. Definitely not considered falling apart. The problem the last two years has been the secondary scoring and defense. Kesler and Burrows were both playing injured last year and were almost completely ineffective and the Canucks were down to 3 regular defensemen for the last few games. This year's depth is different though. The defence consists of Edler, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Ballard, Bieksa, Salo, Alberts, Rome and Parent. All 9 of these guys are proven NHLer's, the first 6 would be on the top pairing in Edmonton or Calgary, and the other 3 would likely be top 4 guys there too. To follow these guys up, they've got players like Paetsch and Baumgartner who have 167 and 143 games of NHL experience along with rookies like Tanev and Sweatt that can play 10 minutes a night and not hurt the team at all.

On top of all this, Luongo is playing lights out this year and is showing why he was offered a 12 year contract. He's climbed all the way up to 6th in GAA, 5th in wins (1 behind the leader) and 4th in save%. What makes Vancouver even more dangerous is that if Luongo goes down, they have a backup in Cory Schnieder that should be starting somewhere.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten the rest of us and tell us when the last time the Sedin's fell apart in the playoffs. They each have 24 points in 22 games the last two years. Definitely not considered falling apart. The problem the last two years has been the secondary scoring and defense. Kesler and Burrows were both playing injured last year and were almost completely ineffective and the Canucks were down to 3 regular defensemen for the last few games. This year's depth is different though. The defence consists of Edler, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Ballard, Bieksa, Salo, Alberts, Rome and Parent. All 9 of these guys are proven NHLer's, the first 6 would be on the top pairing in Edmonton or Calgary, and the other 3 would likely be top 4 guys there too. To follow these guys up, they've got players like Paetsch and Baumgartner who have 167 and 143 games of NHL experience along with rookies like Tanev and Sweatt that can play 10 minutes a night and not hurt the team at all.

On top of all this, Luongo is playing lights out this year and is showing why he was offered a 12 year contract. He's climbed all the way up to 6th in GAA, 5th in wins (1 behind the leader) and 4th in save%. What makes Vancouver even more dangerous is that if Luongo goes down, they have a backup in Cory Schnieder that should be starting somewhere.

I agree 100% im all for the canucks, last yr the sedins fell apart against chicago, but like you mentioned, they have the support needed now, and the 2nd 3rd and 4th line scoring this season is really helping. the extra muscle is working out good too with torres, malhotra glass and even hamhuis throwing those hip checks whenever he gets a chance. now if edler can resume play by the time the playoffs are around, that will be great.

Reaction score
Guzzly Adams...I am still waiting on you to accept my bet (40) that the Nucks DON'T win the SC this season.

:d

farwest

Reaction score
Well after the no show in St loo I was going to say choke??? But Schneider saved them last night.Terrible hockey to watch.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after the no show in St loo I was going to say choke??? But Schneider saved them last night.Terrible hockey to watch.
I wonder how many other teams could keep winning with 5 regular d'men out of the their line up? It might be hard to watch but good teams find a way to win ugly or not. They are a split squad, forwards are canucks ,defense is the manitoba moose lol

farwest

Reaction score
I wonder how many other teams could keep winning with 5 regular d'men out of the their line up? It might be hard to watch but good teams find a way to win ugly or not. They are a split squad, forwards are canucks ,defense is the manitoba moose lol

I guess good teams find a way to win, but it's still ugly.HAHAH

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
considering the amateur defense the canucks are using right now, besides salo, bieksa and ehrhoff, the canucks killed 3 straight penalties without a goal, and it wasnt until st louis they let their first one in. like it or not, they are going all the way this year.

Top Bottom