two stroke oil

Harp

Reaction score
I got a 03 MC efi and a 2010 Summit. Can I run the same spectro oil in both machines. I have always used the dealer oil but I have looked into switching for a while now. Also it is kindof a pain in the a$$ to have to hit two dealers if we are heading to the mountins for the week. There is already enough stops on your way out of town. Any thoughts would be helpfull

SPECTRO

Syn-Sno Full Synthetic Powervalve FormulaThis low ash, low pour synthetic lubricant keeps power valves and exhaust systems free of carbon deposits. No engine oil burns cleaner. Virtually smokeless, and flows to -57° Centigrade. May also be used as a pre-mix oil for racing applications. Excellent performance in Rotax snowmobile engine tests. Exceeds JASO FD, ISO-L-EGD + and API TC test requirements. For use in all — any year, no restrictions — two-cycle Arctic-Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and Ski-Doo snowmobile engines.
:)

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run motul 800 2t full synthetic in my kx in australia, no gummy power valves no spooge and a sweet smell. i havent found it here yet, and would it be suitable for sleds ?

Royal distributing handles Motul 800 2t @ 17.99 per litre,:confused: 710 is $52/4l jug. I've just bought a sled that people say is going to blow up before 1000m so I'm gonna use Polaris ves gold from the dealer's shelf cause I don't want to push my luck.:nono:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run shell and the guys i ride with run ams. We both started our sleds after a long summer under cover. Both m8's an 09 and a 2010. Both fire up no issues at all. I lightly coat the shop with a blueish sweet smell of 2stroke burning. His turned the shop to a thick dark grey fog. I am not saying one is better than the other. But you could tell from 200 feet who started their sled.

OK, hold the phone here folks. Seems like there are lots of replies on this thread about which oil smokes more or gums up power valves more, etc etc.

Just because one sled smokes more than another, or gums up the power valves does not mean its the oil. I use Amsoil Dominator in one sled and Shell Advance in the other and there is no smoke difference between the sleds (well there is but only because one has an extra cylinder - but even then it's marginal).

To me, a sled that smokes lots is a sign that the sled is likely getting too much oil, not that its the oil itself. A very small adjustment in the oiler cable during setup between dealers can mean the difference between a sled that smokes heavily and one that doesn't, same goes for the power valves. Also, one sled could have allowed a little bit of oil to leak in the crankcase over the summer, meaning more smoke from that sled. When I start my sled in the fall, the whole garage is so full of smoke you can hardly see, but that's only because I oil the cylinders and and crank heavily before putting it away for the season.

Even with all other variables removed, a sled that is operated often at low speed and partial throttle settings will have more build up on the piston domes, valves etc because the combustion temps are lower, even between 2 identical sleds using the same oil.

I would trust comments from someone like Glengine after seeing the amount of motors he has, however a garage comparison of who's sled smokes more or how gummed up the power valves are, is not a valid assertion of the quality of oil anyone is using.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, hold the phone here folks. Seems like there are lots of replies on this thread about which oil smokes more or gums up power valves more, etc etc.

Just because one sled smokes more than another, or gums up the power valves does not mean its the oil. I use Amsoil Dominator in one sled and Shell Advance in the other and there is no smoke difference between the sleds (well there is but only because one has an extra cylinder - but even then it's marginal).

To me, a sled that smokes lots is a sign that the sled is likely getting too much oil, not that its the oil itself. A very small adjustment in the oiler cable during setup between dealers can mean the difference between a sled that smokes heavily and one that doesn't, same goes for the power valves. Also, one sled could have allowed a little bit of oil to leak in the crankcase over the summer, meaning more smoke from that sled. When I start my sled in the fall, the whole garage is so full of smoke you can hardly see, but that's only because I oil the cylinders and and crank heavily before putting it away for the season.

Even with all other variables removed, a sled that is operated often at low speed and partial throttle settings will have more build up on the piston domes, valves etc because the combustion temps are lower, even between 2 identical sleds using the same oil.

I would trust comments from someone like Glengine after seeing the amount of motors he has, however a garage comparison of who's sled smokes more or how gummed up the power valves are, is not a valid assertion of the quality of oil anyone is using.

So he might have an issue with his oiler? I will have to wait till we ride and see who uses more oil. And i will start the other sled and see what it does. Thanks for the heads up.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a case of Full synthetic Sonic XLS at the sled show in Vernon last year for $100. I believe Co-op sells it. Ran it both my Revs with no issues. Seemed to be ok.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SPECTRO

Syn-Sno Full Synthetic Powervalve FormulaThis low ash, low pour synthetic lubricant keeps power valves and exhaust systems free of carbon deposits. No engine oil burns cleaner. Virtually smokeless, and flows to -57° Centigrade. May also be used as a pre-mix oil for racing applications. Excellent performance in Rotax snowmobile engine tests. Exceeds JASO FD, ISO-L-EGD + and API TC test requirements. For use in all — any year, no restrictions — two-cycle Arctic-Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and Ski-Doo snowmobile engines.

This looks good, I found it

It says smokeless, Ive always liked to see smoke coming out of my exhaust. Can anyone confirm if you loose the smoke aspect or does it still smoke when using this oil?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SPECTRO

I have never seen it down south...who is a dealer down here..where can we get some...

big09dragon

Reaction score
Amsoil.....

INTERCEPTOR™ High Performance Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (AIT)
A high-performance two-cycle oil with a performance emphasis on exhaust power valves. Excellent for all types of snowmobiles, motorcycles, personal watercraft, ATVs and jet boats. Contains high levels of detergent additives to prevent valve sticking. High quality replacement for manufacturer branded oils. Injector use or 50:1 premix. JASO FC, API TC

amsoil is the best i truely believe. Burns good and smells amazing love it started using it last season and now i wont use anything other that it! highly recommended

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So he might have an issue with his oiler? I will have to wait till we ride and see who uses more oil. And i will start the other sled and see what it does. Thanks for the heads up.

Probably not an issue with his oiler, it just might mean he is running slightly richer than you, in respect to oil, but it ain't a big deal. It doesn't take much to make lots more smoke, his sled might have slightly different timing or plugs etc, a number of items could make his sled have more smoke at idle. Don't touch anything if the sled runs fine IMO, by trying to lean out the oil, you might cause bigger issues.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question. Can I run synthetic in older sleds that don't require it? I have a couple 97 Polaris 500's. Just curious...

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta sidewith Mr Dez on this point. I own a yamaha and i still run Arctic power valve oil. Ran it since ive got it and ive got about 3000 km saying its good oil. Plus smells good. Id like to bottle that 2 stroke smoke and sell it as "sledders musk"

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use coop xrs synthetic 2 cycle oil.... i have a bud that has a 740 mod and has 7000miles on that 670 bottom end... that says somethin

Top Bottom