Two More Deaths - McBride

Jake

Reaction score
Reading about people rationalize why it happened to the other guys...
A survey was done of automobile drivers, 75% of them said they were better than average drivers.

the Champ

Reaction score
My condolences to the families of the fallen sledders. They died doing something they loved and I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Life is about the choices you make in EVERYTHING you do, not just snowmobiling. People die doing the most simple of things, so OF COURSE mountain sledding is going to claim it's share of victims. We all just have to see it for what it is and ride as safe as the conditions dictate we should.

For the remaining riders of the season ride safe and ride SMART!:beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading about people rationalize why it happened to the other guys...
A survey was done of automobile drivers, 75% of them said they were better than average drivers.

And your point is ?...................lol I couldn't agree with you more. However I probably gotta put myself in that 75% ;):p:d

Hallsey

Reaction score
My sincerest condolences to the families of these young men. I knew them and rode with them on occasion. I rode with the father and brother in law of one as recently as this past weekend. My heart goes out to you all with my
deepest simpathy.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IT'S GETTING REALLY ANNOYING HAVING TO READ/HEAR ABOUT THIS KIND OF TRADGEDY EVERY WEEK THIS YEAR. WHEN ARE THESE GUYS GOING TO GROW UP. ALL YOU GUYS THAT SAY OH IT'S SAFE IF YOU BE CAREFUL, I KNOW WHT I AM DOING, IT WON'T HAPPEN TO ME DUMMY THE F UP. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, THESE GUYS WERE ALL EXPIERIENCED, HAD PROPER TRAINING AND RODE THE "SAFER AREAS" AT IT HAPPENED TO THEM. YOU ARE A BUNCH OF SELFISH LITTLE KIDS, IN MY OPINION, WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR FAMILY OR FRIENDS. :rant::realmad:The mountains have been there for millions of years and i haven't heard of them having any plans to move in the near future. They will be there next year. Stay home with family and friends. Save your trip for next year. Don't go:nono: just try to put yourself in the position of having to try to dig a buddy out or not coming home to your family maybe that will change your mind. To all the guys who have changed your plans and posponed trips till next year happy sledding. To the families who lost loved ones my prayers go out for you. And for all those still planning to go my prayers go out to your families.
just my :twocents:

WHOA!!!! Settle down. I'll give you my .02 on this. Like many others, a few avy deaths are very unfortunate, but this isn't about to stop me from enjoying what I do. Especially at this point of the season, we have in the past 2-3 weeks FINALLY have gotten the snow levels we should've had back in Late December, this is the snow I've been waiting for all season! Since my very first ride this year, I've repeatedly said to people that this will be a bad year for avy's, the first snowfalls happenned under extremely cold conditions, the whole snowpack is very weak, especially now after these most recent heavy wet storms. We have seen slide activity in places that have never moved as long as I can remember, this is in the back of our heads every trip. We, as a group, have resisted the temptation to play in some of our favourite spots this season because of that. We are shying away from the bigger slopes and sticking to smaller hills, the lakes and meadows to reduce the risk. I know that none of us are invincible, mother nature has her own agenda and cannot be controlled. We aren't going out there with the intent to put others in harms way and by know means want to bring grief to our families or others with our actions. As someone else posted, people die by the dozens everyday driving in their cars, I'm sure you and everyone else still climbs in the car and drives everyday. Even under extreme avy conditions you are more likely to die driving to the mountains than riding in them on your sled.

If you chose to end your sled season over a few avy deaths that's your choice and I respect that, but don't accuse me of being reckless and endangering others by choosing to go sledding still. Use your head, Ride safe.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I feel badly for the families and friends.

However, I feel that if they were experienced and capable, Why were they Three bowls back from the cabin on a day that visability was a minimum. We all know that a mountain can fog in and you can get turned around very easy. So why venture that far back and get lost, or you cannot see the potential avy danger around you. I am not saying that they were not experienced but these are things that I myself would not do.:nono: IMO.

Sure - we all have the "hey - fresh powder - lets venture" attitude but we really need to start looking around at the power these mountains have and the destuction they can do and say to ourselves "is it really worth it today? There is always next year..."

I also want to say thanks to all the S&R volunteers for all their hard work and determination.

Thanks,

Ian

mudders

Reaction score
Below is the McBride RCMP report that was released on the recovery of Shane Scheideman and Kory Wagner.

009-03-26 21:15 PDT
Missing Snowmobile Riders Found Buried

The McBride RCMP have now entered in to a Coroners Act investigation in the Renshaw Mountain avalanche case. Search & Rescue personnel recovered the bodies of the two missing snowmobile operators.

att1

Search teams entered the avalanche site on the mountain at approximately 9:30 am, after the avalanche technicians deemed it safe to enter the search area. Twelve (12) SAR personnel, an avalanche technician and a helicopter was involved in the search today. A short time after arriving, the search teams received the signals from the two separate locator beacons and were able to start digging in the snow.
At approximately 1:10 pm on 26th March, 2009, the Search & Rescue teams located the first of the two missing snowmobilers buried approximately 2.5 to 3.0 metres beneath the surface. At approximately 1:30 pm, short distance away, the second male was located under more than 4 metres of snow. Both men had succumbed to their circumstances and were found deceased. The helicopter was used to transport the two men to McBride, where they were taken to the McBride Hospital for examination and the family to pay their respects. The families released a prepared statement earlier.
Shane SCHEIDIEMAN (32 years) and Kory WAGNER (34 years), both from Keep Hills, Alberta, were identified as the two snowmobile enthusiasts who died in the avalanche event on Tuesday March 24th, 2009. Jeff WAGNER (32 years), of Duffield, Alberta, is the rider who survived the ordeal and tried to dig out his colleagues without success.

att2

This investigation will now be directed by the B.C. Coroners Service with the assistance of the McBride RCMP and Provincial officials. Inquiries will now be directed to the actual cause of death for each of the males and how the avalanche was activated.
The McBride RCMP would like to thank the Alberta Parks Service personnel, Yellowhead Helicopters, the Avalanche Technicians and the local businesses who assisted with donated time and equipment. A Special Thanks is extended to the Search & Rescue coordinators and their volunteers for their professional commitment and dedication in this incident.
Emergency are stressing the importance and crucial requirement for outdoor enthusiasts to check with the Canadian Avalanche Centre before heading into the back country. Checking the local reports, the weather conditions and being extremely aware of the changing terrain are critical to survival in the unpredictable Springtime conditions.
Released by
Sgt. Pat McTiernan
NCO i/c Fraser Fort George Traffic Services - Prince George
North District Traffic Services
4020 - 5th Avenue, Prince George, B.C. V2M 7E7
Office: (250) 649-4005
Cell: (250) 612-2922
Fax: (250) 561-4512
ediv_internet_webmaster@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Attachments

• att1.JPG
    att1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 353
  • att2.jpg
    att2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 98

Scully700

Reaction score
Would someone please describe where in the Renshaw riding area that the avalanche took place? I was in there on Monday a few miles over the saddle towards Pyramid...

My condolences to the family and friends.:(

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The conditions are bad but that shouldnt stop you from enjoying what you love to do. Remember that driving to the mountain is far more dangerous than the sledding.

Under normal cirumstances you'd be right. Unfortunately this year is certainly the exception to that rule. That's why next year, conditions permiting, I'll be in the mountains riding just like I have since 1988.
As far as the driving to the mountains goes...I have not heard of one person killed on the hi-way going sledding this year yet, so can we just quit with that cliche already.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
However, I feel that if they were experienced and capable, Why were they Three bowls back from the cabin on a day that visability was a minimum.

I am not familier with the circumstances surrounding either of the recent accidents, but,.... the term "experienced snowmobiler" seems to get tossed around alot, we watch "experienced snowmobilers" do questionable things everytime we are out there. when you mix the cababilities of todays mountain sleds with the desire to ride them to thier limits, and a couple giant brass balls, the results are sometimes unpredictable.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
WOW!!! Looking at those pictures, there is NO WAY our group would be playing in that area at the best of times let alone at a time where the avalanche danger is very high...
I got chills looking at the slide pics! Unfortunately, these guys weren't getting the same pit in their stomach to leave the area and play some where else! RIP

yammy1320

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are packing it in for the rest of the season, I respect that. For those who are going to continue to ride this year, I hope this thread has struck at least a little bit of fear in you; have some respect for the power of nature and ride safe out there!
My thoughts & prayers for the families and friends of these 2...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that we found out the names of the two involved I realize i went to school with both. I know kory has been riding in the mountains for near 15 to 20 yrs. Not sure if that qaulifies for exp. yet. Condolences to the families. R.I.P. guys.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would someone please describe where in the Renshaw riding area that the avalanche took place? I was in there on Monday a few miles over the saddle towards Pyramid...

My condolences to the family and friends.:(

Yes if someone could please.

Top Bottom