Two More Deaths - McBride

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I couldnt imagine having to be the third guy trying to dig out his buddies that are 9-12 feet down, you would never get to them fast enough, and then to deal with all of the quilt after. Sad story, I am done for the year as well for more reasons than the avalanche dangers, ride safe everyone and pay a little more attn to the gut feelings and hair raising on the back of the neck. My condolences to the families of this tradgedy.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would someone please describe where in the Renshaw riding area that the avalanche took place? I was in there on Monday a few miles over the saddle towards Pyramid...

My condolences to the family and friends.:(

This was in the Cushing Creek water basin. When you come over the saddle and look straight ahead at the deep valley in front of you, that is the Cushing. Stay the hell out, many of us locals have called it death valley because if anything goes wrong, no place to run.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
This was in the Cushing Creek water basin. When you come over the saddle and look straight ahead at the deep valley in front of you, that is the Cushing. Stay the hell out, many of us locals have called it death valley because if anything goes wrong, no place to run.

That is a VERY clear warning... I just hope that peeps listen!!!

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of people have been asking where the avalanche happened, and I have saved some Google Earth photos. You will see some of the tracks that our group has made at the renshaw near the cabin for reference. On the trips that we have gone over the saddle or to the back through the anthills, we have looked at tracks leading down into Crushing Creek and often wondered what kind of terrain was down there. I guess we know now. Pretty scary looking area where the avy happened if you ask me. I also attached the photos of the avy for reference.

Attachments

• Renshaw Avalanche 1.jpg
    Renshaw Avalanche 1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Renshaw Avalanche 2.jpg
    Renshaw Avalanche 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Renshaw Avalanche 3.jpg
    Renshaw Avalanche 3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Renshaw Avalanche 4.jpg
    Renshaw Avalanche 4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 107
  • att1.JPG
    att1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 541
  • att2.jpg
    att2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

newfiedoo

Reaction score
just wanted to say cudoos to the s&r teams that put themselves in danger to go on these rescues...can't imangine doing what you guy's do hats off to all of you:bow::bow::clap2::clap2:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another view of the area from Google Earth. It shows the terrain angle a little better.

Attachments

• Renshaw Avalanche 5.jpg
    Renshaw Avalanche 5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68

themadcatter

Reaction score
To all the men and women who helped to get our boys out of there..... You don't know how much it means to us.....Thank you! to McBride..... All of McBride... you are wondeful people From the boys in Blue, victim Services, Cororner, IGA, Giggilin Grizzly, The North Country Ladies (thank you) The Pub... you guys made us feel a little part of home when we really needed it..... The words Thank you on a screen just don't seem enough but it is all i can say.... THANK YOU!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to give my heartfelt condolences to the families of the latest avalanche victims. It is a sad state of affairs, and after looking at the pictures it really hits home that this was certainly not an area to be playing in, even on low risk days. SCARY. I'm thinking that these guys took the biggest gamble of all playing on that slope....with their lives. Obviously the "years of experience", the safety gear and all that didn't help these poor guys out....PLEASE!! Use the best gear you have and that's between your ears.

It doesn't mean that you have to put your sled away yet....by Jesus, we have at least a couple more months of good riding left in central B.C. You just have to be SMART about it. Invest in an AVY course. Know how to use your beacon, shovel & probe. Check avalanche bulletins before you go. Stay away from questionable areas. And please....don't be highmarking, it's not the year to do it. There are plenty of other thrills that you can get without having that added deadly risk.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is another really sad post - my condolances to the family and friends of Shane and Kory. Jeff - thoughts and prayers with you - that was a very difficult recovery - may God help you in your road to healing. RIP

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Alot of people have been asking where the avalanche happened, and I have saved some Google Earth photos. You will see some of the tracks that our group has made at the renshaw near the cabin for reference. On the trips that we have gone over the saddle or to the back through the anthills, we have looked at tracks leading down into Crushing Creek and often wondered what kind of terrain was down there. I guess we know now. Pretty scary looking area where the avy happened if you ask me. I also attached the photos of the avy for reference.

Do you have this on google somewhere? What is it under? Awesome reference...

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have this on google somewhere? What is it under? Awesome reference...

It's an application you download called Google Earth.....you can check out any areas of the world. Really neat, and I use it all the time to find out about areas I've never been. You can even find your own house!!:specool:

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
It's an application you download called Google Earth.....you can check out any areas of the world. Really neat, and I use it all the time to find out about areas I've never been. You can even find your own house!!:specool:

Ya, Ive used it before. I just want to know what it saved under when I do the search.

Thanks Again

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to find the area would be to put the following text into the search area: N53 30 21.90 W120 02 04.54
That is the coordinates of the avy area. The coordinates for the Renshaw cabin would be: N53 28 20.03 W119 58 14.85

You should be able to take a look at the area with those 2 points of reference. If you need any more help with it, pm me and I will do what I can.

crackle

Reaction score
First of all my deepest condolences to the families of all the fallen riders.

Please ride safe out there. I have the privilege of riding a lot cuz of where I live. What disturbs me is seeing the extra risks that some people take and that is pretty much everytime I go out. Having said that, we as sledders all take a risk when we go out, but I would rather be in that risk factor doing what I love to do, rather than sitting at home. Play safe.

While it may be great to be out there playing in the snow, perhaps you should give some thought to those waiting at home worrying and wondering. Those that have made the choice to "put the sled away" haven't done so because they love it any less than you. They have realized that each choice made on that mountain is not just about them. What may have been a good choice in any other season is a deadly one this year. The widows of those lost did not choose to lose their husbands, to be making funeral arrangements and to be explaining to their children why daddy is never coming home. Their children did not choose to grow up without their daddy. Please make sure that you are very aware out there and not sidetracked by the lure of the powder and the "untouched".

I think that thank you's not only need to go out to the S & R guys, but to those members of VARDA, and other associations like it that are out on sleds throughout the weekends trying to prevent these tragedies. If it were not for them out their trying to educate riders and steer groups to areas more suitable for their riding abilities and experience levels, we would likely have seen even more tragedies this year.

Top Bottom