Turbos what does $6500 get you?

wrelyks

Reaction score
My twisted kit done at performance. lost motor right away. almost lost it again in revy, stranger walked me through the whole thing on the side of boulder. turns out the boost tube to the attitude box wasn't connected, c ausing the second injectors not to fire. cost me alot of money. shain was unbelievably helpful and took time to deal with me even on a sunday. id recommend twisted but won't even drive on the road performance is on when passing through stpaul.

wrelyks

Reaction score
Lol yea, not going to lie it was my first turbo kit. Probably a bit at fault but i was told its set up tested and ready to rock. Couldnt figure why it kept spiking. Called shop they said change settings. Did that, lost the motor. RENT SLED. Then they rebuilt, new jug from shain of course and that cost me. RENT SLED. Then they blew it testing it down there, lost the crank, jug ( other side,) and turbo impeller. That cost me again. EVEN though they blew it. Got it back, for sure good to go this time!!! Drive all the way to revy cause i picked it on the way. Kept losing fuel pressure, got towed out. RENT SLED. Shain walked me through that, wiring issue on install. Went next day, spike af again, got down to a cut block, called shain and went through it on the side of the hill. Trouble shot it to the boost tube on the controller. CAlled shop, oh no that wasnt us, you must have knocked that off. Except that it was inside the wire loom, obviously never installed....Go to crows nest pass to sled losing fuel pressure again....GO TO CABIN AND GET LOSER SLED DEPRESSED DRUNK....Took to Lindermen and now its good.....:) Should have started there like I was told. All in all im somewhere around the 13000 mark for her, not including sled.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they installed, it blew 2x once them figuring it out.... think id have someones balls hanging by the fireplace

wrelyks

Reaction score
Yea thats what I felt like doing. Life lesson though I guess. Research when dealing with turbos is very important. Im sure that you'll hear it all again from someone else. I think if you say turbo in certain sled shops and there pupils are replaced with $$ IMO.
V

Goondocker97

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
research and development so you dont have too? i agree the kits are rediculous. like you can twin turbo a cummins for cheaper than that.

but the 6000+ kits include alot of quality parts and alot of hard time behind the design. there was a discussion about this on snowest. the profit margnins on these kits isnt huge these guys are not getting rich off these kits.
That is very true my 97 cummins silver bullit 66 was 1800 for the turbo. 6500 for a little sled turbo is ridiculous but people are willing to pay.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol yea, not going to lie it was my first turbo kit. Probably a bit at fault but i was told its set up tested and ready to rock. Couldnt figure why it kept spiking. Called shop they said change settings. Did that, lost the motor. RENT SLED. Then they rebuilt, new jug from shain of course and that cost me. RENT SLED. Then they blew it testing it down there, lost the crank, jug ( other side,) and turbo impeller. That cost me again. EVEN though they blew it. Got it back, for sure good to go this time!!! Drive all the way to revy cause i picked it on the way. Kept losing fuel pressure, got towed out. RENT SLED. Shain walked me through that, wiring issue on install. Went next day, spike af again, got down to a cut block, called shain and went through it on the side of the hill. Trouble shot it to the boost tube on the controller. CAlled shop, oh no that wasnt us, you must have knocked that off. Except that it was inside the wire loom, obviously never installed....Go to crows nest pass to sled losing fuel pressure again....GO TO CABIN AND GET LOSER SLED DEPRESSED DRUNK....Took to Lindermen and now its good.....:) Should have started there like I was told. All in all im somewhere around the 13000 mark for her, not including sled.

Ugh that hurts. These are the things people need to consider when they are thinking about a turbo. Can't believe your shop took it out and wrecked it and made you pay for it, what a joke. Linderman will definitely make that thing run!

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they blew the turbo impeller, then they seriously effed up. the only way that can really happen on a new turbo is by sucking debris into it, or by clocking the compressor housing wrong and not checking that the compressor doesnt rub the housing, which is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of from someone whos supposed to be knowledgeable on turbos/installing turbos. the rest of the damage probably came from the bits of the compressor that got sucked into the motor. thats so brutal. sorry to hear that.

Top Bottom