Turbos what does $6500 get you?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
research and development so you dont have too? i agree the kits are rediculous. like you can twin turbo a cummins for cheaper than that.

but the 6000+ kits include alot of quality parts and alot of hard time behind the design. there was a discussion about this on snowest. the profit margnins on these kits isnt huge these guys are not getting rich off these kits.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell if you would please define "design" In the publics opinion what sets one kit off from another??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell if you would please define "design" In the publics opinion what sets one kit off from another??

-type of turbo
-wiring
-guage selection
-oiling system
-testing
-fitment
- controller selection
-piping size location and mounting
- blowoff valve selection and location
-charge tube length
- boost control method
-motor modifications (head shims etc)
- exhaust modifications
- turbo mounting and location
-airbox design

the list goes on and on. alot goes into the kits. but its the small things that add up in price like fittings etc etc. go try and build one yourself. it might be a bit cheaper but by the time you factor in the endless hours you spend trying to get it to work right its almost worth the money lol. not saying they are priced fairly but alot of time is spent on the kits.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Series 53 $1400, ovs-simmons airbox $450, cutler fuel pump $220, regulator $180, charge tube $75, mount bracket for turbo $75, clutching complete kit $450, wiring harness $30, exhaust pipeing $40 even allowing $1000 for fittings and misc, plus $500 for controller,still leaves a couple grand on the table.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that there is not much profit in turbo kits, but where people have to do there homework is know who the kit is designed by......there's lots of copy cat kits which work?? and then there the guys that have tak'n the time to engineer,design and RD the kits till the product is user freindly and fun and Reliable......so if your going to spend 6500.00 make sure you buy a kit that works and talk to peeps that run them.

Just my 2 cents...

BD

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rightly so Dawg. Just pissed at what MM is selling for 6500 compared to what Cutler stage 3 provides for 5400. Look at the pics of kits and tell me who is full of chit. Kit I mocked up has better components for way cheaper.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Dude....not a cat guy and i know that 6500 was just the start of the a long set of issues with yours.....Mine bolted it on and rode 1000mls with next to no issues.......:d

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not MM alone just citing most recent incident with fixin a M8, and showin a direct comparison of two kits that makes one wonder how they get away with it. Unless someone points it out to those mesmerised by nice paint job. Good money to made fixin half complete and improperly assembled turbos.

Jeepindg

Reaction score
I agree with what most people havs already said, Buying a aftermarket kit saves you the set up and tuining hassles.

I have built and made up tons of products to save a bit of money on your project, and what I have found is the aftermarket kits -althoe more expensive -- usualy save you headache and time for the install and setup.

For something fairly complex like a turbo setup----I have personaly been thinking of making my own but probably would just go buy the top name brand kit,--- Knowing what I know I would get a MCXpress for my apex, simply because they have turbo'd lots of engines from sleds to atv's to motercycles, and should have the experience of what problems they have encountered and how to fix them. ----IE I have heard that under boost some Yamaha's throw the TORS light and pop and fart, --- You would have to diagnose and try to come up with a remedy for the problem, where a MCX kit should have already solved and sent the remidy in the install kit.

Again I have home fabricated tons of stuff but would recomend aftermarket kits for a Quick, easy and simple install,
and a headache free install.

Dustin

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have one that I paid 6500 for and didnt work out of the box. Did asking around afterwards that I should have done before hand. Shortcomings were explained to me and options to fix were presented. This has allowed me to meet alot of other digruntled turbo owners and hear common issues with some kit designs and installations. Cats in particular.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great insight dustin, i am an mcx retailer and believe you me when r&d is done and done correctly it is worth its weight in gold. Usually you get what you pay for, usually. Just my 2 cents:cool:

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It get's you alot of fun =)

I dont know to much about the different type of turbos. I just know the Thunderstruck guys ride them MIGHTY well.

And i want one =)

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing i have seen yet in the turbo industry is from aerocharger, you can purchase a mock up 53 or 66 series turbo for $500. This enables you to trial fit your turbos to your liking then send the mock up turbo back and have aerocharger assemble your turbo's fit to your spec (charge tube angles and exhaust pipe angles) this eliminates any mechanical issues with the turbo once the housings have been turned.( vein to housing clearance, waste gate rod angles so on and so forth) pretty cool i figure!!

Top Bottom