Turbo Pass avalanche, rescuers

pembygrl

Reaction score
I'm writing an article for Kootenay Mountain Culture magazine about the Turbo Pass March 13 avalanche.
Condolences to the families of Kurtis and Shay, and all those who were injured.
My focus is on the rescue effort - it's unbelievable, given the scale of that slide, that the event didn't end more tragically.
I'd like to connect with any snowmobilers who were there that day, and were part of the initial rescue efforts.
I have interviewed some of the search and rescue people who flew in a bit later, but the voices of the snowmobilers is missing... and I think that's an important story to tell.
Please get in touch if you're willing to share your story.
Sincerely,
Lisa Richardson
pembygrl@gmail.com

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X 3,doing a article on this so long after the incident isn't going to do any good for anyone...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....do you think that sledders in general are a little gun-shy of reporters after all the one-sided, misquoted, negative, and misleading press that our sport has recieved over the years? I haven't seen an article yet that wasn't slanted.....

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kootenay Mountain Culture is a pretty excellent read, and sled are part of mountain culture, though a new one. I imagine this hasn't been covered yet because they only put out 2-4 issues a year, and I imagine they're putting together the winter issue now. Just throwing it out there. Not to say I don't understand the concerns.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if we are smart we will not talk about it. issue is almost cleaned itself out. old news

pembygrl

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses - and yeah, I do totally appreciate that people would be gun-shy re media.
KMC mag is only 2x a year... as JaySimon said. This is the first winter issue after Turbo Mountain. And because the editors/publishers want KMC to be the kind of publication that sits on someone's coffee table/toilet mag rack for 6 months and then goes to the bookshelf, they're not in a feeding frenzy to get the gnarliest bloodshots and most sensational quotes. They want something a bit more timeless, more thoughtful.
6 months out lets some of the rawest emotions, hopefully, settle, and gives us a chance to review the incident with cool heads, a bit of perspective, and a "is there something we can learn from this?" As people who live in mountain communities, small towns, in a whole mash-up of snowmobilers, skiers, climbers, trail-riders, guides etc.
My personal values are that fingerpointing/blame game/judgments contribute nothing, but good story and honest dialogue are really valuable. And I think if I neatly slice-and-dice the world up into shallow stereotypes (slednecks, granola-munchers, doughnut-eaters) then I really wouldn't have much to add.
I don't come to snowmobiling with any preconceptions - Pemberton's got a big sled culture, I have a lot of friends who snowmobile, but I never have, because I'm a bit scared of big machines, and honestly, I spend more time riding the computer than anything, these days.
Bottom line, my goal with this piece is to tell some of the stories about how the rescue unfolded that didn't come out in the mainstream media, because some impressive work was done there, and it's worth people knowing, and if that helps people be more prepared if an avalanche unfolds, whatever their tool for recreating in the backcountry, then that is a good thing.
Thanks for the opportunity to present myself to the community.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bbtoys I don't think this thing has "almost cleaned itself out" as you put it. This will be revisited shortly as our government tries its best to screw with the sport we all love. Winter will be here in a couple more months and the Liberals have promised to try to make backcountry sledding safer for us :rolleyes:. This regulation will be done with an eye toward appeasing the voters.
I think an article like this (if done the way pembygrl is claiming) may help to sway some much needed non sledding public opinion our way. Right now the vast majority of this province knows only the BS that the media has fed them about this tragedy.
If we don't fight for what is ours then it will be taken from us.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
bbtoys i don't think this thing has "almost cleaned itself out" as you put it. This will be revisited shortly as our government tries its best to screw with the sport we all love. Winter will be here in a couple more months and the liberals have promised to try to make backcountry sledding safer for us :rolleyes:. This regulation will be done with an eye toward appeasing the voters.
I think an article like this (if done the way pembygrl is claiming) may help to sway some much needed non sledding public opinion our way. Right now the vast majority of this province knows only the bs that the media has fed them about this tragedy.
If we don't fight for what is ours then it will be taken from us.

here, here.........frock.......well put, and i agree(as an albertan)

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pembygrl, do u have any links to past stories you've written?

pembygrl

Reaction score
Here's one about the Pemberton gun-club from last winter. They were a bit suspicious I was going to paint them as a bunch of rednecks... but they chanced it, and let the vegetarian visit. We all ended up getting props in the Hunting BC forum for generating some good press about their sports. Coast Mountains? Artist Profile ? CHILI THOM
There's other stuff linked at lisarichardsonbylines.com, if you really want to go deep.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I am all for covering the story. But please remember it has almost nothing to do with the Big Iron Shoot Out. It was not part of the event and on any given sunday, there can be 200 people at the bottom of Turbo Mountain.

The self-resuce was very succesfull and the professional members that showed up immediately after to clear the injured.......our hats off to them.

The CAC has some amazing stories of the rescue and can put you in touch with the parties involved.

We will all learn from this and move forward for another day.

RS

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am in agreement with "pembygrl". Yes, it is old news. Yes, it will be bring up the past. But if we can put a positive spin on the rescue effort, the training sledders have, the organizational skills that were evident to avert a very large tragedy then it would be a feather in the hat of the snowmobile community.

I have no information nor contacts that could provide information but I am sure that with the help of the CAC, the Revelstoke Club, and S&R a very good article could be presented.

Good luck, "pembygrl"....

ratatatat

Reaction score
There is an account of events from someone that was there posted on 'Telemark tips' 'avalanche safety page'

Good luck with it, a bit disappointing to see some of the response here.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an account of events from someone that was there posted on 'Telemark tips' 'avalanche safety page'

Good luck with it, a bit disappointing to see some of the response here.

Just my 2 cents but I don't think that any of the responses are out of line or disapponiting especially given the negativity of alot of media reports made when it came to snowmobiling last winter and some of the tragedies that prevailed...sceptisism isn't necessarily bad and some of the responses may have come from bad experiences. Open dialogue is created when people ask for such a request so if people are skeptic and ask a question or make a remark and aren't necessarily giving openess until they know why....shouldn't be viewed as disappointing... If something entirley good comes from it...then great...time will tell. It truly would be disappointing if things get misconstrued as this is sure to open some wounds for some...and more likely alot and those people have a right in my mind to be sceptical of anyone asking questions ...especially from a media source until proven reputable and will tell it like it is and should be told. Not saying this media outlet is not reputable or anything like that at all...just saying that may possibly be why some people are being skeptic...don't blame them a bit!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pembygrl,

Any chance you would be willing to let someone review the article and comment on it before publication, to ensure an accurate reflection of sledders?

I respect you coming forth and asking on an open forum such as this for "volunteers" to come forward, instead of just discussing it with local sledders and writing an article that does not represent the greater cross section of our sport. However I think as DaveB stated, we are a little gun-shy towards the media. Obviously you cannot provide the article for everyone to review, since there would simply be too many opinions/questions, etc.

I have already asked climbmax if he would be willing to review it, and he has indicated that would be acceptable. As someone who has been involved in sledding for many years, has provided much needed support for sledders, and is a great ambassador for our sport (and also an amazing rider), I feel that he will provide a fair and honest review and opinion on your article, from a sledder's perspective.

Are you willing to extend the olive branch to us and let sledders represent sledding?

Thank you,

Modman

pembygrl

Reaction score
I appreciate the problem-solving attitude at work here!

And I respect your scepticism. It's smart to be sceptical, and question what a person's agenda is, what biases they bring to the table etc.

I can only stand on my own reputation and integrity... that's my olive branch.

I've already conducted 10+ interviews for this article... and everyone was very cautious, concerned, some even asked "can I review it when it's done?"

If I were to say yes to that request, to anyone, my head would explode with trying to manage the process and the feedback! And the reality is, the story would potentially get held up for ever, trying to make all the little accommodations that would make everyone happy. Death by committee.

I totally appreciate that what I ask people to do, when I ask to interview them, is to give up a certain amount of control over the end-product. I've been on that side of things, being interviewed, and I don't really like it. (I like making myself sound smarter than I am.)

If you're looking for a writer to work with the community to develop some materials that reflect your culture, the greater cross-section of your sport and get your stories out, that's a different kind of collaboration. It's more a public relations role.

I want this story to be fair and honest and emotionally accurate, so that the reader gets a thoughtful, well-researched, well-written story by someone who approached all the subjects with an open mind, an open heart, no biases... so I don't feel I can collaborate with one person, over all the other interview subjects, by giving them a right of approval. And honestly, I am not looking for a spokesperson for the entire community of snowmobilers. How can one person do that? We can only ever really speak of our own personal experiences, our own stories, and hopefully, if people listen, then some of the differences and animosity falls away.

Let's all sing Kumbayah now.

No, seriously, I realise my take might sound cheesy. But I hope you understand where I'm coming from... when I say I can't accept your offer to review the piece beforehand, though I appreciate it.

My deadline is looming, I've got to get cracking on this! Thanks for the dialogue, all.

If someone does want to share their story about March 13 2010, please PM me, or drop me a note...

Sincerely,
pembygrl

pembygrl

Reaction score
Hey all, just a note to say I have filed the story, and it should be running in the winter issue of Kootenay Mountain Culture mag. Hope when you read it that you will think that it was worth revisiting, even though painful for many. I'll try to remember to post a link here when I get a copy. Thanks for the conversations here! and have a great (and safe) winter.

Top Bottom