Two Snowmobilers rescued from Silent Pass Mar. 19, 2017

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I know the one they were in, but why wouldn't they take the normal way around to it??

And I was meaning about the Groomer phoning the truck in, when they could have been staying at cabin, and leaving truck over nite

sent while drinking tea's
Both good questions lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean it's great the Groomer noted the truck still there, but could have been a false call out for sars......

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they were trying to get to mcmurdo from silent they technically would be in a closed area.....

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I was meaning about the Groomer phoning the truck in, when they could have been staying at cabin, and leaving truck over nite

If that would have been the case isn't it best to leave a note on the vehicle that you are planning to overnight it so SARS isn't called in?

big_red1a

Reaction score
Correct me if I wrong but would you not need a permit to overnight at the cabin?. The groomer would be aware, and the truck matching the over night permit wold not be suspicious.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes u need to book cabin in advance, or at least 5 years ago that was the case

Mabe he called and asked first, then called sars

Still it's good He called them in, just based off what the other guy said, sound's like he just called sars

Mind you it's 2nd -3 Rd hand info

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I wrong but would you not need a permit to overnight at the cabin?. The groomer would be aware, and the truck matching the over night permit wold not be suspicious.
Yeah you have to rent the cabin I believe.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do need to book/rent cabin. Wood shed is locked, Not a lot of room in cabin be real crowded if there is already a group overnighting

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ... they didnt have snowboards or snow shoes. That was the plan for going in to hook up sleds to heli as apline heli said they only pick up if some one is ther to do the hook up. So buddy said whos sled is still sitting out after he foned them.
they got into a drainage they couldnt get out of...
cops or who ever foned their parents, and im asuming they said no to cabin stay as they dont know where it is and were plannning a motel in golden., I was getn fone calls at 0130 from a crew loaded up and driving from ...... alberta wanting me to guide them in. There was no way in hell we would have found them. I chose to stay home and they were found and heli, ed out about 9am. I think this pissed off a few guys but we have been down this road b4, especially as we dont know the area well. Last time it happened I asked the guy if we would have found them and he said no way!
Leave it to the pros in the heli, they know wot they r doing.

I have ridien with only 1 of these guys about 4 or 5 times. As for the othr guy I reffered to, he should and now does only ride a snowboard in bounds.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chances are they went down the drainage in the south west corner of the lake(don't do that) . Really easy to go down and a great "sucker slope". It cliffs out at the bottom and it's mostly impossible to come up. Other than that you can generally get down to duncan.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom