BC Avalanche

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
Looks like its starting already. Not snowmobile related but tragic none the less.

Condolences to the family.

Be safe out there this season.

1 dead in B.C. avalanche - British Columbia - CBC News

1 dead in B.C. avalanche
The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 23, 2012 10:42 PM PT Last Updated: Oct 24, 2012 1:53 AM PT

The Coroners Service of British Columbia says one person is dead following an avalanche in the province's northwest.

Coroner Barb McLintock says little is known about the incident except that it took place in a remote area and the closest community is Stewart, B.C., located near the border with Alaska, nearly 1,500 kilometres north of Vancouver.

McLintock says two people from an industrial camp were working when the avalanche hit.

She says one person escaped but the other did not, and a coroner from Terrace, B.C., is investigating the incident.

McLintock says its very early in the season for an avalanche to claim a life, noting the first fatality last year was reported in the middle of November.

That incident claimed the life of 40-year-old Dallas Shane Mayert, who was snowmobiling with friends in the Torpy Mountain recreation area, about 100 kilometres northeast of Prince George, B.C.

Last edited by a moderator:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is it not snowmobile related? That's what they were doing there it says at the end of the article.
Scary it happened so early.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read it carefully that incident was last year, the person this year was working not sledding.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
How is it not snowmobile related? That's what they were doing there it says at the end of the article.
Scary it happened so early.

Ah no it didn't.
"McLintock says its very early in the season for an avalanche to claim a life, noting the first fatality last year was reported in the middle of November.

That incident claimed the life of 40-year-old, who was snowmobiling with friends in the Torpy Mountain recreation area, about 100 kilometres northeast of Prince George, B.C."

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its worded very poorly. Not sure if they are still taking about last years victim or this years. First they say in a remote area and the closest community is Stewart, B.C in the start, then they start talking about last yearts death and say 100 kilometres northeast of Prince George, B.C. They say One person is dead, Dont mension the name. Then at the end Dallas Shane which leads me to believe they are talking about Shane was sledding.
Some of these reporters should be shot........

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last sentence is referencing last years incident. If its work related they will not be releasing names until a full investigation has been completed as there are huge legal implications for work-related fatalities.

"McLintock says its very early in the season for an avalanche to claim a life, noting the first fatality last year was reported in the middle of November.

That incident (referencing the previous sentence) claimed the life of 40-year-old Dallas Shane Mayert, who was snowmobiling with friends in the Torpy Mountain recreation area, about 100 kilometres northeast of Prince George, B.C."

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a large Diamond Drilling program going on up there on the Bruce Jack Property. My guess is it was one of the drillers or helpers. I have a few buds who have been working up there and they tell me there was a lot of snow recently.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a large Diamond Drilling program going on up there on the Bruce Jack Property. My guess is it was one of the drillers or helpers. I have a few buds who have been working up there and they tell me there was a lot of snow recently.

Either that or the Granduc site, as castle resources has been working to reopen it.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a diamond drilling company. My cousin is working for them. In many cases they make camp and work on the side of a mountain and thus dwell in the path of sliding snow. They have had some big early season accumulations and no real base for it to adhere to yet. Scary...

(The last sentence is about Dallas Mayert who died last year here in PG. The statement was meant as supporting evidence for the articles's previous contention that this is a very early season avalanche and normally these things happen closer to November and December...)

helgy

Reaction score
Website
www.bordertownsnowbombers.com
There is a good chance that the surveyer that was killed was using a snowmobile to travel around, it has been reported that he was swept off of a 300m cliff by the avalanche. Lets not jump to conclusions until we get the facts. I hope they were using proper safety equipment (due diligence) , since they were exposed to avys.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They said it was a surveyor taken over a cliff. Heads are going to roll if there was avy danger in a work area and there was not sufficient expertise on staff. That is what mountain / ski guides are for, keeping workers safe when there is an avalanche hazard.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it was new snowfall or break off from icefield/glacier. Snowpack looks pretty thin for sliding already.

WCB regs have been tightening up around avalanche safety programs (4.1.1 of the regulation) so if they were up there without a plan prepared by professionals it would not be good for them.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The avalanche itself was pretty small. Only enough to sweep him off his feet and over the cliff. He was not burried but died from the fall. No snowmobile involved.

Top Bottom