Turbo or Not?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 summit T3. I have always wanted a turbo but have been Leary due to reliability and having to mess with tuning. I see lots of guys build them and then sell them within a season or so. this makes me wonder how reliable are they. I don't want to run huge boost, Just enough for around 200HP. My Question is can a guy be happy with a turbo? Can I run my sled with a turbo for several years? I know it will require more then normal maintence but will it be relatively reliable? Thanks for any input.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 summit T3. I have always wanted a turbo but have been Leary due to reliability and having to mess with tuning. I see lots of guys build them and then sell them within a season or so. this makes me wonder how reliable are they. I don't want to run huge boost, Just enough for around 200HP. My Question is can a guy be happy with a turbo? Can I run my sled with a turbo for several years? I know it will require more then normal maintence but will it be relatively reliable? Thanks for any input.

kinda depends, I rode one for 2 years 6000 km and didnt have an issue, that said many guys do so its kinda an idividual person thing. It is an absolute blast riding one for sure BUT stock will get you there too, just takes longer haha. Depends on your riding too if you do 1000 km a year, thats an expensive sled for that but you'll get at least 2 or 3 years before having to do a top end. all things to think about. Personally i would have a turbo and non for all snow a turbo in mediocre snow is not as fun because there is no such thing as slow (well that could be fun for some people lol) but if youre the only turbo in your group is another thing to think about, sled envy is a thing haha.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda depends, I rode one for 2 years 6000 km and didnt have an issue, that said many guys do so its kinda an idividual person thing. It is an absolute blast riding one for sure BUT stock will get you there too, just takes longer haha. Depends on your riding too if you do 1000 km a year, thats an expensive sled for that but you'll get at least 2 or 3 years before having to do a top end. all things to think about. Personally i would have a turbo and non for all snow a turbo in mediocre snow is not as fun because there is no such thing as slow (well that could be fun for some people lol) but if youre the only turbo in your group is another thing to think about, sled envy is a thing haha.

love sled envy... haha.

chad006

Reaction score
Impulse is a great option as well, if I were to get rid of my aerocharger that's what I would go to. However my aero has been flawless so far at 7lbs

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot's of the guys selling them build a new one every year. Call TSS and Boost It and chat with them about your concerns. Both are in Western Canada and ride the popular areas so they know how to setup the sled for your riding area.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to answer your other questions,

extra maintenance:

Belts (your going to be switching them more often i got 800 km or so to a belt i used daycos because with the warranty $50 a belt is easy to swallow
Turbo Oil: I checked mine and topped it off every day i rode, upside down they burn a little and they use a little bit of oil too
Pre emptive top ends: I did it I rode a lot of KM though
Bearings: everything is spinning faster with a lot faster acceleration, I was fine again but hey stuff happens

Will you be happy with it? oh yes if you can hold on to it that is lol

Can you keep it for a few years? if you only do 800 km a year then I dont see why you couldnt go three years without even doing a top end but thats just me

Hydro

Reaction score
In my riding group (Haywire Turbo's) we have the following:

2013 Skidoo XM w/TSS sidemount and water-to-air intercooler (TSS Installed)
2013 Skidoo Freeride w/TSS sidemount and water-to-air intercooler (TSS Installed)
2014 Skidoo XM w/TSS Instaboost and water-to-air intercooler (mine) (TSS Installed)
2014 Skidoo XM w/Aerocharger kits (x3) (Installed by Distributor)
2016 Skidoo XM w/Boost-It Turbo and water-to-air intercooler (Boost-It Installed)
2013 Polaris Pro w/Boondocker Turbo Kit
2012 Arctic Cat 1200 w/Speedwerx kit
2014 Arctic Cat 1200 w/Speedwerx kit

I can confirm that the 2 sleds that run the best are the Arctic Cats 1200 (4-strokers); or in other words, they've had the least amount of problems... However, both sleds have been retired, for newer, lighter 2-stroke turbo's that are significantly easier to ride all day. The 4-strokers stay in the trailer, in case a back up is needed. (I would go out of my way to rent one to avoid riding either of them!).

I can confirm that 1 (of 2) TSS sidemount kits has ~6000km's on it without a lick of motor trouble (2 belts that I'm aware of). Heavily abused! The other has ~4500km's on it and has replaced the top end - Heavily abused...
I can confirm that 1 (of 1) TSS Instaboost kits has ~2400km's on it and I have had some tuning issues with it (until I replaced the XiC Boost-It controller). Not abused too hard (my first sled ever and put the Instaboost on it at 1200 km's)
I can confirm that 1 (of 3) Aerocharger kits has ~8500km's on it without a lick of motor trouble. Heavily Abused! One of the other Aero's is presently not running (~4500km's on it) and we are still trying to figure out why. The last one of the 3 has ~2500km's on it and running good.

I pulled the XiC fuel controller (that Boost-It sells) out of my TSS-Instaboost and replaced it with the Redline fuel controller. I can confirm that after a season of struggling to get my sled to run consistently, the new Redline fuel controller and a few hours of tuning in Eagles Pass has finally resolved my issues. I have witnessed first hand the difference in tuning-ability between the two controllers.

Every turbo provider has Hero stories, and Zero stories. It's a niche market of guys, when you consider the total market of snowmobiles sold. Are you going to get factory reliability? Maybe, maybe not. So, it's my opinion that it boils down to the relationship you have with your builder. I prefer to deal with the Micku's @ TSS. They are local to the area's I ride. The team there has treated me to first class service, and I know that if/when problems arise, they'll sort them out for me - like they already have.

So, is it worth it? Definitely! My first sled ever is the 2014 XM with the Instaboost. Boosted it after 1200km's (a beginner has no business on a turbo sled!) and I haven't looked back! I love trying to hold on it to it every time I hit the mountains! Finally, I recommend battle ropes... Lots and lots of sets in the gym with battle ropes!

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my riding group (Haywire Turbo's) we have the following:

2013 Skidoo XM w/TSS sidemount and water-to-air intercooler (TSS Installed)
2013 Skidoo Freeride w/TSS sidemount and water-to-air intercooler (TSS Installed)
2014 Skidoo XM w/TSS Instaboost and water-to-air intercooler (mine) (TSS Installed)
2014 Skidoo XM w/Aerocharger kits (x3) (Installed by Distributor)
2016 Skidoo XM w/Boost-It Turbo and water-to-air intercooler (Boost-It Installed)
2013 Polaris Pro w/Boondocker Turbo Kit
2012 Arctic Cat 1200 w/Speedwerx kit
2014 Arctic Cat 1200 w/Speedwerx kit

I can confirm that the 2 sleds that run the best are the Arctic Cats 1200 (4-strokers); or in other words, they've had the least amount of problems... However, both sleds have been retired, for newer, lighter 2-stroke turbo's that are significantly easier to ride all day. The 4-strokers stay in the trailer, in case a back up is needed. (I would go out of my way to rent one to avoid riding either of them!).

I can confirm that 1 (of 2) TSS sidemount kits has ~6000km's on it without a lick of motor trouble (2 belts that I'm aware of). Heavily abused! The other has ~4500km's on it and has replaced the top end - Heavily abused...
I can confirm that 1 (of 1) TSS Instaboost kits has ~2400km's on it and I have had some tuning issues with it (until I replaced the XiC Boost-It controller). Not abused too hard (my first sled ever and put the Instaboost on it at 1200 km's)
I can confirm that 1 (of 3) Aerocharger kits has ~8500km's on it without a lick of motor trouble. Heavily Abused! One of the other Aero's is presently not running (~4500km's on it) and we are still trying to figure out why. The last one of the 3 has ~2500km's on it and running good.

I pulled the XiC fuel controller (that Boost-It sells) out of my TSS-Instaboost and replaced it with the Redline fuel controller. I can confirm that after a season of struggling to get my sled to run consistently, the new Redline fuel controller and a few hours of tuning in Eagles Pass has finally resolved my issues. I have witnessed first hand the difference in tuning-ability between the two controllers.

Every turbo provider has Hero stories, and Zero stories. It's a niche market of guys, when you consider the total market of snowmobiles sold. Are you going to get factory reliability? Maybe, maybe not. So, it's my opinion that it boils down to the relationship you have with your builder. I prefer to deal with the Micku's @ TSS. They are local to the area's I ride. The team there has treated me to first class service, and I know that if/when problems arise, they'll sort them out for me - like they already have.

So, is it worth it? Definitely! My first sled ever is the 2014 XM with the Instaboost. Boosted it after 1200km's (a beginner has no business on a turbo sled!) and I haven't looked back! I love trying to hold on it to it every time I hit the mountains! Finally, I recommend battle ropes... Lots and lots of sets in the gym with battle ropes!

Any more info with your doo running redline fueling.. Are you still as happy as you were?? Thanks

Top Bottom