tunnel trouble

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out lookin over my sled today, this is what I found the plate behind the a-arm seems to be bent just a little. Is this a part of the tunnel or can I just change the plate or leave it???:(:( thanks for any help:beer:
ps. watch out for the tops of phone boxes:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hard to tell but looks like you could just leave it... and get a belly pan protector

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is on a rev? If so i'd check to see if your ski tips are still even. Don'y know if you can still get that front plate or not. If so it entails pulling the motor and a bunch of other stuff off to change it.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it's hard to tell I can barly see a bend in it When I take it to a shop I'll get them to look at it thanks guys :beer:

yes it is a rev 07 summit

Leaving it alone a puttin a skid plate on it is what I'd perfer to do but I'll do what needs to be done

the plate that concerns me is right infront of the track

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if your not leaking antifreeze you can just leave it... imo .... if you want it change it will be a big job and a big bill

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's a big job I went through this last fall(bent tunnel and bukhead/nun). but if it's not going to hurt anything I'll leave it and get a skid pan. I rode all winter this way(I didn't notice the little bend till today) but I'm gettin tired of this weak ass rev platform do I dare say cat!!!! My 97 summit 500 can take more chit than this thing

Whats imo mean????

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's a big job I went through this last fall(bent tunnel and bukhead/nun). but if it's not going to hurt anything I'll leave it and get a skid pan. I rode all winter this way(I didn't notice the little bend till today) but I'm gettin tired of this weak ass rev platform do I dare say cat!!!! My 97 summit 500 can take more chit than this thing

Whats imo mean????

In My Opinion

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear the skis are lookin good.. Just for peoples info there are two places to look that really show if a bilkhead is bent at all, one is behind the primary clutch and the other is the bulkhead peice between the rewind and the silencer. There is a stiffener available for the magside of the bulkhead they are like 40.00 and come off of the doo race sleds.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if you put the stiffener in you wreck more then normal??

Yeah, you just bend the next weakest link, which is probably the rest of the nun (and a lot harder to replace).

That's how they make 'em light - they make 'em weak. I'll take an extra 10 lbs of well placed structural gussetting anyday if it means not replacing the bulkhead every season.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you just bend the next weakest link, which is probably the rest of the nun (and a lot harder to replace).

That's how they make 'em light - they make 'em weak. I'll take an extra 10 lbs of well placed structural gussetting anyday if it means not replacing the bulkhead every season.

yup I'm with that. That's a a new tunnel if I knew the trouble I was going to have with this garbage I would have gotten a M8. :mad::mad::mad:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stuff usuaully only bends if you hit something or take huge air,if people would stop hittin stuff thing wouldnt bend,All sleds will bend stuff if crashed enough.Is lighter better?well for riding yes but crashing no.Ill take lighter and be alittle more carefull myself,still have ablast and replace less parts which saves me more money for ridin gas.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maby I should just ride trails too eh :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This isn't the frist sled I've ever had, like I said My 97 summit could take a harder beaten than my 2007 what ever happend to Quailty, not even to metion all the belts I've blown.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stuff usuaully only bends if you hit something or take huge air,if people would stop hittin stuff thing wouldnt bend,All sleds will bend stuff if crashed enough.Is lighter better?well for riding yes but crashing no.Ill take lighter and be alittle more carefull myself,still have ablast and replace less parts which saves me more money for ridin gas.

Here's the scenario - you're heading up a steep hill, a 3" tree is in your way, its either hit the tree or stop and roll your sled to the bottom. You have a choice between replacing the nun after you hit the tree, or risk the damage of rolling your sled 10 times. Both are expensive options. One could have been a lot less expensive and not even an issue had there been 3 more lbs of aluminum bracing in the bulkhead.

You'd be amazed at how strong you can make a bulkhead with only a few more braces and a few more gussets. Talk to anyone with a full tube chassis - they are typically lighter and stronger than a stock bulkhead. Its all about the support positioning. That's all Doo needed to do. The AC bulkheads bend the ears just from getting beat up on the trail and so do the Doo's. I'm as careful as the next guy but sometimes things just happen, I'd rather drive over the rock and not do damage then miss it and roll my sled down the hill worrying about damaging my nun. Usually big hits happen at least once a season. It seems like the new sleds only take one hit and they are bent. two or three big hits a season and you have to start replacing major chassis parts??? No...that's a Ski Doo gimic to get you to come back into the dealership for a nun replacement.

The XP was built for the eastern trail crowd IMO and then adapted for life out west in the hills. A little more material in the Summit line up and life would be far easier. We ride wayyy harder than the guys on the groomed trails who will likely never have to replace a nun in their lifetime, just because they don't wail on their sleds like we do.

Top Bottom