truck vs trailer

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
So We are looking at a new toy hauler for my 2008 F350
the ship weight weight on the trailer is 13298 and my truck is rated for 15200
The question I have is if your truck has a chip does that increase tow rating?

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No the chip will not increase the tow rating, tow rating is based on what the vehicle is designed to tow/haul. It factors in things such as structual strength, braking, and engine etc... to ensure a good safety margin. So by just adding more power it doesn't change the vehicles structure or braking etc... Also with a chip you don't want to tow at the highest rating, most chips have a tow setting, this protects your drive line.

FLM Staff
HOLOMIS INTERNATIONAL home page
info@holomis.com

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not unless your chip has the ability to change the printed sticker on your truck door as well.

***If it does please let the rest of us know what chip you have so we can all get one too!***

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
Not unless your chip has the ability to change the printed sticker on your truck door as well.

***If it does please let the rest of us know what chip you have so we can all get one too!***

LOL Have to check the box I belive there was a felt pen in there.

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
man o man there are alot of people pulling way to much trailer out there.
on a long weekend i must 25 or 30 of those 40' units being pulled by one tons.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
man o man there are alot of people pulling way to much trailer out there.
on a long weekend i must 25 or 30 of those 40' units being pulled by one tons.

I can pull a 32' flatdeck weighing 7000# with a 16,000# backhoe on the trailer, sliptank with 170L of fuel...legally...

Ratings are one thing, but you have to understand axle weights and distribution...Dont just read the door tag and the dealer info on the trailer, better do some research on both...even hitch placement will drasticly alter what you can tow

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
I can pull a 32' flatdeck weighing 7000# with a 16,000# backhoe on the trailer, sliptank with 170L of fuel...legally...

Ratings are one thing, but you have to understand axle weights and distribution...Dont just read the door tag and the dealer info on the trailer, better do some research on both...even hitch placement will drasticly alter what you can tow

any idea on where to look this up? other than ford?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
any idea on where to look this up? other than ford?

Look into commercial vehicle registration...Not saying insure your rig commercial, but a good source for info.

I wont use your truck as an example cause I dont know it, but using my truck here is a quick scenario:

4 tires rated at 3700# each=14,800#
Truck weighs in around 8000#
Legally I can add another 6800# in weight onto the truck either with box load or trailer

Trailer has 8 tires at 3200# each=25600#
Trailer weighs around 7000#
Legally trailer can carry 18,600#

Now the above indicates what the separate units can do by themselves. Once you hook the trailer to the truck everything gets a bit more tricky. The trailer has tounge weight. Most trailer axles are placed on a 2/3 split but it is how you load the trailer that will really affect the weights on both your front and rear truck axles. For instance, by moving my 16000# hoe forward only 5 inches I can add 1200# of hitch weight onto the truck...

Your travel trailer is the same. Water, black water, even clothes, dishes, and food will add up as trailer weight.

So again, without sounding rude, there are many factors...you cannot just read labels and say yes or no a truck will pull it...30,000# loads are normal for me, and I am not overweight, and run legal. And yes pull it with a 1-ton...

Top Bottom