Tree Well close call

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On Saturday in Valemount we were doing some tree riding in Clemina Creek, Bauers area. I caught the edge of a tree and toppled off my sled directly into a tree well head first. I went in quite hard and my head was sideways down approximately 4' below snow level, then the snow fell from the tree. Filled my helmet up with snow pushing it into my nose and mouth, one arm underneath me and the other at my face so I was able to make a breathing area. It took over 1 minute to get my helmet cleaned out so I could breath again, then had to relax a minute and catch my composure. Then was able so squirm around and clean a bigger area where I could move a little bit. I could now hear sleds so I knew my buddies were close. By the time they got to me I was basically getting out but needed a bit to shake it off. Not a fun experience and makes you think a lot. Basically keep calm and try to clean your airway, and also need to make sure the snow isn't compressing around your chest or it gets hard to breath. Neck is sure sore today.

Any one had these close calls?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The same thing almost happened to the wife years ago went to have a pee behind a small tree in the mountains problem with that was the tree was over 20 high made it over to her just in time sled was starting to slide in I was pulling on the ski and she gunned it ran me over but better than down a tree well

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upside down with a snowboard on, 45 min to get the bindings off.

Lots of time to ponder life lol.

Don't panic, it will only speed up the inevitable.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one early this year. We were in ground hog west, one buddy has his wife and kids another his fiancé so was suppose to be a take it easy day. I was out exploring and visibility was poor, thought a little hill was climbable but near the top it was pretty much vertical. Sled came up and over and I was able to push it away from me but in doing so I ended up on back back with my head downhill and covered in a layer of snow. When I opened my eyes after the hit I just saw snow but thankfully also daylight through the snow. At the same time I took a deep breath and all I inhaled was fresh powder so I went into panic mode. Was able to get my one arm free and clear the snow from my face and get a few good breaths of air. Still upside down and trying to gain my composer I could hear my one buddy was near by. Thankfully once I was able to get my breathing under control I was able to shimmy and squirm to get myself turned around and sat up just as he pulled up. Definitely makes you respect how fast and easy things can turn into a crap shoot and the importance of keeping your group visible or near by.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
921ea63f1565cdf857c0458618e6b17a.jpg

472011732ec223ba3101a066fd26533c.jpg

Ron In the treewell. Brian H to the rescue.
Its important to see how quick it can happen tho, and group or buddy check ins are important. I was riding around in the trees than realized there was no engine sounds after I took a break. I rode back to find everyone, and stumbled upon this.

Disclaimer. I made sure Ron was fine before taking photos, and picking on him. Lol

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A sled boarder died up Brandywine last week in a tree well. Guys had him out in 4 minutes and started CPR but couldn't bring him back. Sounds like instead of waiting for friends to help him he struggled to get out and just went down deeper.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210111/921ea63f1565cdf857c0458618e6b17a.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210111/472011732ec223ba3101a066fd26533c.jpg
Ron In the treewell. Brian H to the rescue.
Its important to see how quick it can happen tho, and group or buddy check ins are important. I was riding around in the trees than realized there was no engine sounds after I took a break. I rode back to find everyone, and stumbled upon this.

Disclaimer. I made sure Ron was fine before taking photos, and picking on him. Lol

I sure hope you did lots of the picking on him part.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So glad you're ok Ron! My son ended up deep in a tree well last year and it was scary as he had sunk down out of sight. Fortunately good riding buddies were nearby to rescue him as his radio mic had popped off and was behind him. Good reminder to always have a riding partner who stays with you!

bcjeepr

Reaction score
Being underneath a sled in a deep tree well, is an unpleasant feeling , without a radio it is hard for buds to find you .. They are a little known hazard . We are both lucky .

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ron... Remember when raymond did a nice climb up a hill, then he got off in the trees to pee and fell in a treewell? Said he was about 4 feet from the top of the treewell when he fell in.... I went up and didn't see him, then went back down(figuring he was doing more than peeing). Waited a few minutes and was just about to go back up the hill whe we heard his sled fire up and he came down. He said it was quite the struggle to get back up outta the treewell, and said he heard me drive almost over him in the treewell. Can be scary situation...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron how much did you pay them for the rescue??

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing a creek bed and fell off the sled and azz first into small opening.
Dropped in only about 1.5-2' but my visor was against my knees and was wedged in solid.
One hand down and one by my side, buckled in half about 2' above about 1' of water.
Took me about 5 minutes to free one and to slowly dig myself out, only two of us and I was out before he had come back.
Amazed sled did not overheat idling.

Also had friend flip his sled on top of himself into a 5' deep hole in soft snow.
Took 3 of us to get the sled off of him - he as pinned face down, no wiggle room at all, lots of yelling though.
Had to shut his idling sled off at was filling the hole full of fumes.

Either case could have easily caused a person to expire quite quickly.
A close by riding partner is a must!!

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year riding in the tees poor visibilty ,Hit a large mound between the trees , sent me in the air and landed in the tree well. What saved me is I somehow I put my leg under my other leg and it made a triangle which kept me up ,but I was up to my shoulders. Helmet full of snow and half off , I got real lucky I had my tether on and it shut the sled off because it was parked right beside my head while I was in the tree well. I had just enough movement with my right arm that I could call my guys. The scary part of it all is as I was sitting there And I started to move the snow was still on the tree above me, about 20 feet above me.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya tree wells are dangerous been in there .best thing is to have buddy system pair up . Have a group of 6 say and than pair up so u have one guy to look after. Seems to work. Last season i had my buddy slide into a tree down steep hill lots of trees i went back had to help had to park half in a tree well slipped off and fell in must of been 10 feet down man what a bitch good thing was feet first. I tell my boys to be careful.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a tree well but certainly one of my scariest sledding accident yet.

I was sidehilling across a steep face that my buddy had already made it up. I took a line slightly above his so I wouldn’t get fawked up in his ruts. I ended up slowing down too much and had too much body weight above the sled which caused the sled to roll with me going over the top. I ended up downhill from the sled on my back in buddies rut just in time for the sled to land on me hard upright and the track pushing on my chest. As I pushed with my arms to hold the sled weight from compressing my chest my helmet started to fill with the snow that was now sliding down the hill. I tried to shimmy my way out from under the sled but my pack was now solidified into the snow and the track had my gear locked in. The sled was taking every inch of air I thought I could get and I couldn’t even push hard enough to benchpress roll it off of me. Now fighting with one hand to try and hold the sleds weight from compressing my chest I was frantically fighting to undo the fidloc to get my helmet off so I could try to get some air instead of snow. My gloves hindered me from removing my helmet so it was a no go and at this point full panic was kicking in. Any breath taken was quickly wasted as I was trying to blow it back out to clear the snow from my airway. What felt like a 10 minute struggle was only 1-2 mins and then my buddy was there to roll the sled off of me. I learnt a fawk ton that day. I would have thought I could have rolled the sled off of me, not a chance. I thought I could have slid out from under it, not a chance. I thought the idea of fidloc was to make helmet removal easy, not a chance with too large of gloves on. When Ron says it took him a few minutes to shake it off I totally get it. The rest of that trip the whole scenario played over and over in my head.

she can get scary out there folks, even when you think you have all of your bases covered. There is no room for complacency nor sledding alone.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. Glad you are okay. That can be pretty scary. Hard not to panic.
Last year I fell of the back of my sled climbing a drift in a creek in Renshaw.
Landed on my back with my feet higher up than my head.
I thought the sled was going to flip over and fall on me. I was panicking. Trying to roll over. The more I panicked the more my helmet and head sunk into the loose snow.
Took a bit to finally calm down enough to realize the sled hasn't fallen. Squirming isnt helping.
After that I was calm enough to get myself flopped over.

And the year before in another creek on Renshaw.
I feel through the snow. Passing too close to an open hole.
My tunnel bag was under water. I got a bit wet.
Had to wait for pictures and a rescue on that one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-221241_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-221241_Facebook.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot_20210111-221300_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-221300_Facebook.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_20210111-221325_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-221325_Facebook.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 228

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary stuff! What baffles me is people who ride alone. Even if they go with a group, they bugger off by themselves half the time. It happens so fast that its scary, one minute your cruzing along, then bam, in a well with the sled on top of you. As im sure most everyone knows, its not easy to find people who are missing, especially if there in deep hole or creek. Me and my usual riding partner try to stay within sight of each other as much as possible. One time I fell in a well on the uphill side, landed firmly on my back, Then the sled rolled ontop after me, which basically pinned me down, the riser was 1” in front of my nose and I couldn’t move a muscle. Worst part is if my buddy hadn’t seen it happen, I don’t know if he ever would have found me. From below it was not visible at all. Scary stuff.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit a hole in a creek at Renshaw and got bucked off. Fell feet first in to the hole. When I went in my arms went straight up. I was about 2ft from touching the surface, so the hole was about ten feet to bottom. Looking up I could see my track inches from the hole.

I was able to wiggle around and kick with my knees a bit to make snow fall, then climb up on top of the snow and wiggle again until i got high enough to use use my arms to lift me out. I was down there for about 5 minutes. I was lucky my sled didn't roll back further, or knock snow on top of me. My friends were stuck in the creek less than 100ft away from me, but had no idea what happened.

ca862b80a3951990cf985ff244412479.jpg

Top Bottom