Transceivers

summit88

Reaction score
hey everyone, since i am fairly new to mountain riding i have always just borrowed an avalanche beacon from friends that i was riding with at the time. this year i am looking to buy my own. any suggestions on brand names or models that i should look at?

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most are pretty good now, but be sure to get a digital one!!!!!!!!! tracker, piepes, barryvox

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We as a group all bought PIEPs. They are user friendly but not that they are any better,its just we all have the same so we all learn the same...make sense. Most beacons act diferently have different options. Best thing you can do is know your beacon. I use a SOS it takes me forever, just cause I'm not used to how it works, but in the hands of someone who knows how, they are a great beacon and cheaper. We chose the PIEPs because of the compass and altimiter and simple to use, 2 less things to carry. My 10 cents

chucker

Reaction score
The group I ride with all bought Pieps DPS. I agree, I don't think its any better than any other brand but it is easy to use and it does multiple burials. It is important to practise with these things.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use pieps as well and the one nice thing about them is if you take it to the sled show every year they will download any upgrades that pieps comes out with at the Peips booth.I have had mine upgraded twice since I bought it and it still had all the up to date technology!
I dont know if the others do that,but when I bought mine they didnt!
catmando!

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The group I ride with all bought Pieps DPS. I agree, I don't think its any better than any other brand but it is easy to use and it does multiple burials. It is important to practise with these things.
yep, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!! my group has several different beacons. and they all require some getting used too. make sure you know how to use the one you get and go into a field and do some practice runs with it!!!!!!!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You nailed it there, it doesn't really matter how expensive or fancy your beacon is,...... if you can't use it.

We make ALL our new comers do a test search for a beacon in a snow bank, you'd be surprized how long it takes them to figure it out, and If its me they're digging for, I'd feel better knowing they can use their beacon.

Its also good to carry about $1000 in your pocket,.... they tend to dig a little faster.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Now that's good advise...lol...

You nailed it there, it doesn't really matter how expensive or fancy your beacon is,...... if you can't use it.

We make ALL our new comers do a test search for a beacon in a snow bank, you'd be surprized how long it takes them to figure it out, and If its me they're digging for, I'd feel better knowing they can use their beacon.

Its also good to carry about $1000 in your pocket,.... they tend to dig a little faster.

gsmoke

Reaction score
PIEPS....the new one...its like 500 dolllars in highprice stores...but look n ebay and browse the net . u will find a decent deal

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two trackers and a pieps...I think the trackers are the easiest to use and teach to use...best in my opinion

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two trackers and a pieps...I think the trackers are the easiest to use and teach to use...best in my opinion

See and I did not like the Tracker. The only thing I did not like about the trackers is it reverts back to transmit after a set amount of time so incase you are buried while looking you can be found. Which is good as long as while you are searching you know that this happened. I just thought it was one more thing to contend with while already in a panic state IMO.

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn wish I'd seen this thread earlier before I started one along the same line.Oh well my bad. Just to let you all know totally awesome adventures is selling the pieps dsp for $399+shipping and gst and is giving more of a discount if you order more than one. I'm told this a good price.

Powder hound

Reaction score
Our group use to run the SOS, but we all went to the Trackers, big difference, very user friendly.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use pieps as well and the one nice thing about them is if you take it to the sled show every year they will download any upgrades that pieps comes out with at the Peips booth.I have had mine upgraded twice since I bought it and it still had all the up to date technology!
I dont know if the others do that,but when I bought mine they didnt!
catmando!

Hey, great info!!

I have a Pieps too. It's not the advanced one so it's missing the altimeter/barometer (?)/ and compass. I have a GPS for that info.

Great unit. The multiple burial (which works well!) can be the difference from two or more buddys that have stories to tell, or one bad memory. I highly suggest this feature.

If I make it to the snow show I'm going to get mine updated!!!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn wish I'd seen this thread earlier before I started one along the same line.Oh well my bad. Just to let you all know totally awesome adventures is selling the pieps dsp for $399+shipping and gst and is giving more of a discount if you order more than one. I'm told this a good price.

Believe I found mine for $380.00. Can't remember where I bought it, but I think I needed to buy my shovel and prop to get it at the price.. Bought the BCA aluminum shovel that's altra short (extends) and has the prob in the handle.

Problem being is the prob is shorter than standard =(

If people want me to check where I bought it, shoot me a PM.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had two SOS beacons until i sold one just recently, i'm going to replace it with the Otovox F1 which is like a flip phone with a 2" display. As other mentioned the beacon is only as good as the person using it. I took the Zacs Tracs level 1 avalanche training just a few weeks ago and she has a comparison of alot of beacons on her website, If you go to ZacsTracs on the right hand column you will find a header reading something like "what beacons best" click on that and they rate all them there.

Once i get the new one i'm going to get the wife to hide it under some leaves in the bush behind us and i'll go find it, would get her to bury in snow BUT THERE IS NONE DARN IT111:rant::rant:

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mammut barryvox beacon... can't complain with it... i have never had to actually dig somebody out before but we always do a test everymorning before we head up the trail to make sure they are all searching and sending properly... it feels like it would be really good in an emergency situation... like they stated about... make sure its digital... makes life way easier and more accurate. I think mine was 450ish?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mammut barryvox beacon... can't complain with it... i have never had to actually dig somebody out before but we always do a test everymorning before we head up the trail to make sure they are all searching and sending properly... it feels like it would be really good in an emergency situation... like they stated about... make sure its digital... makes life way easier and more accurate. I think mine was 450ish?

We test before heading up the trail now too, we never used to but before I owned one, I rented. Playing with beacon after a full 2 days of sledding diecovered that it would recieve but not transmit. After throwing up in my mouth a little I got 4 guys together and bought beacons. Then took a avy course, best money ever spent.

Top Bottom