Trail riding helmet advice.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for helmet advice ,I have an older BRP fullface helmet w/cheep breath deflector.
@ -20 C it would be nice to close my visor but I cant cause I fog up in 2 second's.(even if I
blow my breath straight down)
I want a new skid lid that I can trail ride with and not freeze to death.Who can educate
me a bit about the BRP modulars and BV II's or whatever they are called.
Do these helmets get rid of enough moisture that heated visors are a thing of the past?
I have also found some pretty good prices in the states on exo helmets(heated and non heated visors)

PS. I also wear glasses.
What to buy?
Thank's to any and all that reply.

Last edited:

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We own a couple HJC CL Max II with heated visors, really nice helmet. Have heard non heated visors work really well. Comfortable, warm, with excellent nose and chin flaps to keep breath away from visor. Also ended up buying blue tooth headsets which came in handy while riding in large group when we had a guy go down with an injury.

Hopefully this helps!

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
The BVII is not a modular in my opinion. The front folds down and does not open up as nice. The Modular II is a nice helmet too. I actually have both and never use them. Don't Flatland much in the cold anymore. I will give you a smoking deal on the BVII if you are interested. Just shoot me a PM.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume mountain riding guy's all wear open face because they ride(generally) in warmer weather,
and since you are always standing you generate way too much heat for a full face to work?
Are exo's a much lower quality helmet than the BV II's and modulars?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I am not familiar with those helmets but I can say you are definitely getting what you are paying for with the BRP full face helmets.

As for your question yes mountain riding and trail are two totally different beasts. In SK on poker runs I would regularly put in 80 miles a day going at high rates of speed in -25C. A good sealed helmet is worth its weight in gold and you have enough speed to evacuate your breath. In the mountains it is usually -10 or warmer where I ride and once you are off the trail the speed is slow, physical activity is high and snow is everywhere. A full face will fog up instantly or you will be driving with the visor open and snow will be blinding you.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With my older BRP helmet ,even at 30 MPH on the trail my visor will fog completely unless it is
open 1/2" and at -20c it doesn't make for an enjoyable day.I currently don't have a heated visor
outlet on my sled,but that's easy as pie to install if that is the only way I'm going to be able to have
fun on the trail's without frostbite on my face.The cardboard/fabric (whatever) piece of crap breath deflector
on my helmet,just ain't good enough to keep the moisture away from the visor.
I need feedback on what other's use on the trail and what is needed to be warm and fog free.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Tranz helmet by CK that I got from Riverside Yamaha. It it a modular helmet with an internal sunglasses visor that can be set up for sunny days or gloomy days( yellow visor). It has a foam barrier to keep the moisture out pretty good and I wear glasses too. It also has an electric faceshield option.

Top Bottom