What style of helmet is best

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello! Im new to sledding and have been trying to decide what style of helmet to go with. Last winter I used my dirt bike helmet but have been thinking of getting a full face helmet with heated visor for this winter?i found one that has a orange lense inside that slides down when needed what do you all think? thanks for the advice. So far I have only been trail riding and playing in what deep snow I can find.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A full face modular with heated visor is best in cold weather, at high speeds, and on long distance rides. If you are playing hard in deep snow then a motocross style helmet is best. I have one of each and choose depending on those factors.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most people go with mx style and goggles. If you are interested I got a fxr helmet and goggles for cheap if you want to go that root.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've rode with both and it is all preference I breath as well in a full face heated visor as I do in a motocross style. Only issues I have is if I have been riding hard when I stop the goggles must come off quickly or they fog. Personal preference!!!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have tried both. A non heated full face is not the way to go. Fogs up super fast and once it does your done. All you can do is pop it open a bit and peek out.
So I went to a Motocross style with goggles. And I still have issues with fogging goggles BUT! I picked up a second pair and have a under hood bag to keep the extra goggles. Now when I get fogged up I just switch them out. It's sooooooo nice. The goggles under the hood defrost super fast so if you re fog again no worries just switch out again.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see skidoo has some electric goggles now. $175 for the cord model and $250 for the battery pack - no wire to sled. I'm thinking about it....

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

bourgon

Reaction score
I have tried a bunch of different lids and I find the doo lid is the best with a good set of googles! The do lid has a good nose pice to keep the fog off the googles! Have tried 3 others Thor 509 and hmk I think went back to my doo lid! No I don't ride doo eather!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We mountain ride primarily. I wear a motorfist helmet with smith goggles.. works well for me. This year I'll be trying out the new Motorfist goggles. Most winter mx style helmets made today come with an option for a fog mask on them. Some people who wear the mx style helmet in super cold conditions wear a balaclava for warmth and extra wicking. Fogging will happen when the body is sweating and the head starts to sweat with inadequate breath deflection. Any style of helmet/goggles/visor combo can fog up if you over heat and or breathe into the helmet like a bear in heat. The key is dressing in layers so you don't overheat. Get a helmet that fits and is comfortable. If you choose an MX style helmet get a set of goggles that not only fit inside the helmet but the contour of your face. There are many options out there so try and customize for your fit and comfort. There are fans that work with goggles or come with the goggles to further reduce fogging. If you are stuck, no matter if you are wearing a full face or mx style helmet take your helmet off and perhaps even a layer while you work to get that sled out.. again minimizing overheating of the body. I will swap out goggles mid day if needed depending on my activities and condition. Goggle warmers are awesome for drying out goggles so you can always keep a fresh set handy. I don't have much experience with full faced helmets. Way back when.. like in 96 I had a full face heated visor.. that I managed to continually rip out of the power socket time and time again due to my overwhelming lack of grace every time I went to get off my machine without unplugging it first.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin of kicking it old school this year. Going open faced helmet with a flip up visor and a beard balaclava!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My brother loves his doo helmet...trying an FXR this year but he never complained about the doo. My Klim is a good helmet but after 3 years it is beat to chit...so I bought an FXR too

I have tried a bunch of different lids and I find the doo lid is the best with a good set of googles! The do lid has a good nose pice to keep the fog off the googles! Have tried 3 others Thor 509 and hmk I think went back to my doo lid! No I don't ride doo eather!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin of kicking it old school this year. Going open faced helmet with a flip up visor and a beard balaclava!!

YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D!!!!
:bullrider::bullrider::bullrider:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing an open face helmet ever since I had to start wearing glasses to see. Only way I can keep my glasses clear. I skipped the beard balaclava though! Much better products available out there! :yahoo:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing an open face helmet ever since I had to start wearing glasses to see. Only way I can keep my glasses clear. I skipped the beard balaclava though! Much better products available out there! :yahoo:

What do you wear under the visor??

MADMAN

Reaction score
I agree. IMHO there's nothing worse than fogging up, cant ride like a tard when one cant see :)

I also have tried both. A non heated full face is not the way to go. Fogs up super fast and once it does your done. All you can do is pop it open a bit and peek out.
So I went to a Motocross style with goggles. And I still have issues with fogging goggles BUT! I picked up a second pair and have a under hood bag to keep the extra goggles. Now when I get fogged up I just switch them out. It's sooooooo nice. The goggles under the hood defrost super fast so if you re fog again no worries just switch out again.

Top Bottom