Tracked atv's

Briandublanko

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if tracked ATV's & or UTV's are allowed on the trail system in Ministick?

we have a couple of tracked atvs and would like to know before we venture out there. Don't want to be there if not allowed.

Thanks Briand

sled

Reaction score
Most clubs do not like quads with the traxs or with out on the trail system .they make more work for the groomer to smooth of the ruts.This is what I have heared.

Briandublanko

Reaction score
I can understand wheeled quads causing more grief but i thought with tracks quads that it would be very similar to snowmobiles for groomer matainence

Can anybody else clarify.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No we do not want to see any quads or utvs on the trail in Ministik

We spend over 700 hours clearing the downed trees and making the trails safe for snowmobiles
(so far this year 5 days X 11 people X 8 hours = 440hours and it is Dec 1)
(we have not even finished - about 1/2 way done)
(there are few local legal places to ride a snowmobile and we work hard to maintain and Manage Ministik)

We then spend 3 to 6 days grooming the trail system with groomers
(at a cost of $1,000.00 per day grooming)

Not to mention the $100,000.00 we spent this year alone to purchase a Bombardier BR 180 Groomer and drag and it takes on hell of a lot of trail passes to purchase a groomer.
(See the groomer on )

All this cost is paid by our club and members --- thousands of dollars yearly

ONE QUAD can distroy the 8 hours of grooming on the trails

So we greatly appreciate no quads or UTVs on the trails

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should post when you plan on clearing trails There would probably be a few interested in lending a hand

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No we do not want to see any quads or utvs on the trail in Ministik

ONE QUAD can distroy the 8 hours of grooming on the trails

So we greatly appreciate no quads or UTVs on the trails

Your trails, you make the rules, but the part about tracked quads or utv's destroying the groomed trails is a load of CRAP. I have been invited by some areas to use thier trails as the tracked quad really helps to lay down and pack a good base. Tracked quads are supported by 13-15 sq. ft. of surface contact, close to double what the average sled has.

Wheeled quads don't belong on sled trails summer or winter because severe ruts do occur.

I don't normally ride the groomed trails, preferring deeper more challenging terrain, but the groomed trails I have ridden, I've seen some real damage. What from you ask (?), sleds dropping the hammer from a stop and digging a 50' trench and 1' deep.:nono:
If you want a legitimate reason for not mixing quads and sleds, try the difference in travelling speeds. A lot of sled riders use the groomed trails as thier personal Autobahn and nothing could be worse than a 70 mph sled meeting a 25 mph tracked quad.

Your policy of exclusivity is the same one sledders faced years ago when they travelled on trails created and maintained by Cross Country Skiers.

If you read some posts from the McBride or Blue River area, back country sledders were up against being shut out of certain areas by tour operators.

And that is practising exclusivity at its worst.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
read the works very slowly" SNOWMOBILE TRAILS"..im a quadder and a sledder and i do not like seeing any type of quad on a groomed snowmobile trail unless it it an emergency.there are plenty of other places to ride a quad than on a trail that people have groomed for 1 reason and one reason only.show some class and keep the quads off groomed trails:nono:

Holdeem

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm from up north, Canada, and tracked quads are invited to help break trail and clear trees etc by the sledders, they appreciate the help and realize quads don't ruin the trails. When a sled breaks down in some remote place tracked atv's usually go in to pull them out. I don't get why we can't all get along. :beer:

Briandublanko

Reaction score
"If you want a legitimate reason for not mixing quads and sleds, try the difference in travelling speeds. A lot of sled riders use the groomed trails as thier personal Autobahn and nothing could be worse than a 70 mph sled meeting a 25 mph tracked quad."

Good point Mongrol, Didn't really think of the difference in speed between the two. good enough of a reason for me to stay out of there.

Anyways thanks ministick man for replying .

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, the two machines operate in different levels. I've had one close miss on a shared trail when a sled travelling at warp 9 came around a corner on my side of the trail. I went over a bank (but backed out - tracks can do that) while the sled chose to use some alders and willows as brakes. I winched him out and towed him and his salvage a couple miles.

From that point, I pick deeper and steeper rides and leave the trails to the "other guys"/

Holdeem

Reaction score
Well if I was coming around a corner full speed on my sled I would much rather see a tracked quad coming the other way doing 20 mph than a sled doing triple that speed. Much better chance of avoiding a crash and if it did happen there would be a lot less damage as the combined speed would be 80 mph rather than 120 mph. The number of sleds in Canada and the US is declining and the number of quads is surging, you are going to see a lot of them around in the future, better learn to compromise. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't see a problem with a tracked quad on the trails and I'd wave to them same as any other sledder out there:snowmobilers_wave:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't see a problem with a tracked quad on the trails and I'd wave to them same as any other sledder out there:snowmobilers_wave:

Good attitude, we need more of that.

I want to point out that showing a lack of respect for the trails and users is NOT TO BE TOLERATED. Whether it is private or shared trails, its the riders, not the machines, that cause damage, and every activity has its share of jerks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Good attitude, we need more of that.

I want to point out that showing a lack of respect for the trails and users is NOT TO BE TOLERATED. Whether it is private or shared trails, its the riders, not the machines, that cause damage, and every activity has its share of jerks.

Ministik is a very sensitive area, this area is actually a bird sanctuary, and the Tri-County club fights very hard to be allowed to remain in this area. The government says NO QUADS, therefore no quads on these trails.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TYLERG, and thats fair enough. My only comment was that the tracked quads & utv's cause trail damage and that just NOT TRUE. Other than that, I have no problem with any legitimate reasons for restrictions.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TYLERG, and thats fair enough. My only comment was that the tracked quads & utv's cause trail damage and that just NOT TRUE. Other than that, I have no problem with any legitimate reasons for restrictions.

I agree with Mongrol about tracked quads not causing damage. The problem that I see is that folks quad on our groomed trails now, when they know they are not supposed to and don't have trail passes. (Big signs where the trails leave town). People start seeing quads allowed on the trail, they will go wether riding tracked ones or not. People will want to go out with their families and there aren't too many mini quads that are tracked. So they'll say that the little ones don't cause damage, then the 250 2WD won't work with tracks but the whole family wants to go so we'll do it just this once and before you know it the trail is a mess. Or worse yet someones wife or kid goes into a tree when their ski gets caught in a tire rut.(Funny, this didn't start out as a long winded rant). Sorry seen the damage quads(and cars for some reason) have done to our trails ovet the last few years.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ministik is a very sensitive area, this area is actually a bird sanctuary, and the Tri-County club fights very hard to be allowed to remain in this area. The government says NO QUADS, therefore no quads on these trails.

I think I've done every motorized activity in all my years and the conflict over trails between Quaders and Sledders just keeps getting bigger. Some quadders seem to "get off" on using the "rip 'er up" attitude on the trails and that has to stop.

What also has to stop is some sledders attitude of "this is my area, stay away". I was trackin' by myself one day, 20 mi. up a snowed in logging trail (virgin snow) when a guy on a sled came up behind me, stopped, and proceeded to complain about how my tracked quad wrecked his day cause he had trouble following the trail my machine left.

Both examples are the extremes but remember, we need to get along,
co operate, and give the other guy some consideration. Its winter, we all enjoy the snow and our own individual activities.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I don't live where you guys do ... :cool: ... I'd feel unwelcome cause I don't ride the same type of "Off Highway Vehicle" as you all do.

Sledders & ATV'ers share here where I live ... :d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I've done every motorized activity in all my years and the conflict over trails between Quaders and Sledders just keeps getting bigger. Some quadders seem to "get off" on using the "rip 'er up" attitude on the trails and that has to stop.

What also has to stop is some sledders attitude of "this is my area, stay away". I was trackin' by myself one day, 20 mi. up a snowed in logging trail (virgin snow) when a guy on a sled came up behind me, stopped, and proceeded to complain about how my tracked quad wrecked his day cause he had trouble following the trail my machine left.

Both examples are the extremes but remember, we need to get along,
co operate, and give the other guy some consideration. Its winter, we all enjoy the snow and our own individual activities.
I'm strictly talking groomed trails, the cutlines and pipelines are free game for everyone. I've been trailcleaning for about 8 years now, this year is the first time I have seen a quadder that has no sled out helping us. Not saying it's the first time it's ever happened but the first that I've seen.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, there are probably a lot of others that would pitch in and help if they knew.
I did some trail clearing for some mountain bikers (now theres a group that likes to complain) that helicopter in then ride out. I'm not a participant nor do I want to be, but they were complaining about the overgrowth so I volunteered to haul the equipment and help. Got me out having fun and met some real different people.

But, like I said before, my purpose in posting was not to try to smooth out differences between two groups but to correct the misinformation that "tracked quads and utv's cause trail damage".

Top Bottom