Toy hauler or tandem tow with 5th wheel???

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a new trailer soon, currently have a 5th wheel toy hauler. I would like some opinions on tandem towing, and yes I know I can not go to B.C.. I have also had a travel trailer and a sled deck and do not want to go back to that.
Thanks Tim

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went from a tandem 5th wheel and tag trailer to a 5th wheel toy hauler.

Would never go bad.

Just the difference in time to load - unload.

Some times the extra trailers nice ( if u want to ride somewhere diff or have to pick a broken one up ) but that's it.

Everything's in the trailer , before the gas, genny, ect was in the box too.

Mabe u need a better setup toyhauler

from my HTC

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 26' KZ Sportsman 5th wheel and pulled an aluminum 2 place behind, can only be 67' total length to be legal. I see the same setup a lot with guys pulling boats behind that are much longer, never heard of anyone being stopped or shut down for being over length. I since bought a 5th wheel toyhauler. I like it better.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We like our toyhauler.

A motor home and enclosed trailer would be nice too.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went from a tandem 5th wheel and tag trailer to a 5th wheel toy hauler.

Would never go bad.

Just the difference in time to load - unload.

Some times the extra trailers nice ( if u want to ride somewhere diff or have to pick a broken one up ) but that's it.

Everything's in the trailer , before the gas, genny, ect was in the box too.

Mabe u need a better setup toyhauler

from my HTC

I actually have a 2012 Cyclone 300C that the wife is not happy with and wants a nicer 5th wheel just not sure if it would work for us tandem towing either. Might have to look harder at another toy hauler.

Also they are so poorly insulated, at least mine, that they are hard to winter camp in.

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually have a 2012 Cyclone 300C that the wife is not happy with and wants a nicer 5th wheel just not sure if it would work for us tandem towing either. Might have to look harder at another toy hauler.

Also they are so poorly insulated, at least mine, that they are hard to winter camp in.

what she not happy about? Thought Cyclones were top notch? What are your plans for using the unit? Sled camping?

I've tandem towed with my smaller 5 th wheel lots, is ok, but with a crew cab truck 30 ft trailer and any decent boat, you're over length. I've been looking into an open concept toy hauler that can haul a boat mid summer and 4-5 quads spring and fall. Most have rear door openings of <95 " (102" wide). Would like it to fit a towboats but few are < 95" beam, some I/B are, would also like something at least 20+ ft in length...? Been watching Weekend Warrior, they "look" good; I've even talked to a few owners and they are happy, but some RV forums are sure nasty towards them! Then again if that were the case, nobody here would own the right sled either!

Before taking the plunge, I'd sure like to hear from someone that has done exactly like what I'm talking about!

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been tandem towing for 6 years. Just got a different 5th wheel and went with another trailer rather than toy hauler. Just couldn't find an affordable toy hauler that fit our needs. To get what we were looking for in a toy hauler would require a 40' at least. We haul a Ranger so the toy area has to be fairly large. Also, we do more camping than toy hauling so most of the time we would have a large trailer that is hard to park in campgrounds. Just my reasons for going the way we did.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tandem tow works for me, as said it's nice to not have the extra length and wasted space when you camp without the toys.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tandem tow works for me, as said it's nice to not have the extra length and wasted space when you camp without the toys.
ours has the electric drop down bunks in the garage, our boys sleep in there so we don't have to make up beds in the morning. when not taking toys we put all the bicycles, RC cars, lawn chairs, all the junk goes in the back. kids have their own door to come in and out, and all their toys etc can stay back there with them....lol. the length doesn't bother me, I can back 'er into some pretty tight spots. should have bought one a long time ago

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what she not happy about? Thought Cyclones were top notch? What are your plans for using the unit? Sled camping?

I've tandem towed with my smaller 5 th wheel lots, is ok, but with a crew cab truck 30 ft trailer and any decent boat, you're over length. I've been looking into an open concept toy hauler that can haul a boat mid summer and 4-5 quads spring and fall. Most have rear door openings of <95 " (102" wide). Would like it to fit a towboats but few are < 95" beam, some I/B are, would also like something at least 20+ ft in length...? Been watching Weekend Warrior, they "look" good; I've even talked to a few owners and they are happy, but some RV forums are sure nasty towards them! Then again if that were the case, nobody here would own the right sled either!

Before taking the plunge, I'd sure like to hear from someone that has done exactly like what I'm talking about!

No sleds just winter camping sometimes with atvs

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever go to a tandem haul. If I must I'll goto a toy hauler...... For right now the deck and holiday trailer works for us, but we do have plans to just get an enclosed once the holiday trailer bites the dust, and use it for both seasons.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I had a deck and a tow behind for many years but, as I am getting older, I am wanting more luxury. I do think that the deck and TT was the best so far.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've pulled tandem with a few different configurations for years...it works good until you get into a tight situation. Most people have a hard time backing up a single trailer, let alone two. The deck and bumper pull trailer works good, if all you're hauling is a pair of quads...you throw a sxs into the mix, and you're back to 2 vehicles. My truck and toyhauler fifth wheel works allright, but it's going down the road this year. I'm getting old enough now to warrant a diesel pusher motorhome and enclosed trailer.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done both, fifth wheel and quad trailer and now with deck and bumper pull. Always found the tandom towing a pain. Yes my bestter half loves her trailer and doesn t want to change it all. Tee what toyhauler can you fit a Commander in?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done both, fifth wheel and quad trailer and now with deck and bumper pull. Always found the tandom towing a pain. Yes my bestter half loves her trailer and doesn t want to change it all. Tee what toyhauler can you fit a Commander in?
it will fit in a 10' garage if you don't have the extreme bumpers, but just...I went with a 12' garage for a little extra room. trailer is an '05 Tahoe Transport

014.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or if u get a wide open toy hauler.

Beds-couch go to the roof ( have 6' 5" inches from floor to the bed up )

Never smell gas or oil ...

Have 18 feet to strap crap down.

It's wide open with the toys out.

I would never ever have a garage toy hauler. So much waisted space.

from my HTC

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

from my HTC

ours is also wide open. Never had issues with smell. 31 foot Raptor and can haul Rzr and the quad inside.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've pulled tandem with a few different configurations for years...it works good until you get into a tight situation. Most people have a hard time backing up a single trailer, let alone two. The deck and bumper pull trailer works good, if all you're hauling is a pair of quads...you throw a sxs into the mix, and you're back to 2 vehicles. My truck and toyhauler fifth wheel works allright, but it's going down the road this year. I'm getting old enough now to warrant a diesel pusher motorhome and enclosed trailer.

grubby, you're only as old as you feel... diesel pusher sounds like you're retiring and about to start snowbirding!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

from my HTC
my bud has a jayco like that, after 3 years it smells like old gas and muskeg inside. when it's wet out he lays tarps down to load his quads and camping equipment, wife said no way she wanted one in that style. to each their own I guess.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
my bud has a jayco like that, after 3 years it smells like old gas and muskeg inside. when it's wet out he lays tarps down to load his quads and camping equipment, wife said no way she wanted one in that style. to each their own I guess.

probably depends how its taken care of as well. I would prefer the seperate garage as well, in case of leakage, dirty stinky mud etc. But the open ones look so much bigger inside. As you said T to each thir own, definitely a matter of personal preference.

If I was to buy a toy hauler, it would be winter ready and the garage side of it would be big enough that I could haul the sleds in it.

Top Bottom