Towing with Toyota Tacoma??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about an equalizer? Think the setup is neccessary for a 1500lb or less tent trailer? I'm thinkin not since brakes aren't required..but just checkin...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
How about an equalizer? Think the setup is neccessary for a 1500lb or less tent trailer? I'm thinkin not since brakes aren't required..but just checkin...

no, you don't need an equalizer, I towed my tent trailer behind my exploder without integrated brake controller, nor an equalizer with no issue.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to tow 2 sleds(600lbs each) on a trailer(500 lbs) without trailer brakes all the time in the winter and had no issues stopping it in the winter. I do not know the weight of a tent trailer but if it's under 2500 lbs you should be fine. if it's more than that i would assume it would come with trailer brakes installed on the trailer.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
if the trailer has brakes on it by law you have to have a controller in the truck, or so i was told by an rcmp once, other than that you should be fine. if the trailer requires stabilizers, it should already be set up with them and the proper receiver. if it does have them, might as well use them.

but i have seen tent trailers pulled behind mini vans and small suv's with no brakes or sway bars

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I had a big a$$ed tent trailer was 3500 LBS 2 king beds with a slide out tip out and huge front storage box towed with a 4WD Dakota used a brake controller but no equalizer hitch towed fine hardly knew it was there

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the trailer has brakes on it by law you have to have a controller in the truck, or so i was told by an rcmp once, other than that you should be fine. if the trailer requires stabilizers, it should already be set up with them and the proper receiver. if it does have them, might as well use them.

but i have seen tent trailers pulled behind mini vans and small suv's with no brakes or sway bars

Except some people do not sell their equalizer set up with a trailer, often they keep them if they are planning to buy another trailer, but for the most part it doesn't seem as though people use them on tent trailers. However I was glancing at a tent trailer, a larger one, that had brakes installed..however they were towing it with a smaller vehicle than a pickup so i'm assuming that could be why as there is a weight/vehicle ratio on the alberta rv regulations..

Thanks all for the help!

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an 08 tacoma 4 door sport with the 4.0. Have towed a two place trailer with two big utility quads on it for a 800 mile round trip. NOT FUN. trailer and quads were probably in the 2500-3000 pound range. The truck REALLY strugled up the hills. Can't see the tranny lasting long with trips like that. I have also used it to tow a 21 foot boat to the lake. 4 miles from my house. Backing down the ramp was scary. Thought the boat was going to pull the truck right into the water. Had all 4 wheels locked up and sliding backwards. I do however pull two sleds once in a while. Close to home. no bid hills. Does OK.
With that being said, I know people pull campers with these trucks, but after using mine to tow, i wouldn't.
Don't get me wrong....the Tacoma is probably the best built, most reliable truck out there and I use it for a daily driver and then some. LOVE this thing. But when it comes to pulling a trailer.....I feel much better using my 3/4 ton. Thats about the only time I ever drive that truck is pulling a trailer. Each vehicle has its purpose.
Another thing to mention, is it doesn't take much wieght at all for the rear suspension to be sitting on the bumpstops. Makes for a jarring ride over the rough spots. In my opinion, Tacomas are meant to be cruisers and off-roaders.....not pullers

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an 08 tacoma 4 door sport with the 4.0. Have towed a two place trailer with two big utility quads on it for a 800 mile round trip. NOT FUN. trailer and quads were probably in the 2500-3000 pound range. The truck REALLY strugled up the hills. Can't see the tranny lasting long with trips like that. I have also used it to tow a 21 foot boat to the lake. 4 miles from my house. Backing down the ramp was scary. Thought the boat was going to pull the truck right into the water. Had all 4 wheels locked up and sliding backwards. I do however pull two sleds once in a while. Close to home. no bid hills. Does OK.
With that being said, I know people pull campers with these trucks, but after using mine to tow, i wouldn't.
Don't get me wrong....the Tacoma is probably the best built, most reliable truck out there and I use it for a daily driver and then some. LOVE this thing. But when it comes to pulling a trailer.....I feel much better using my 3/4 ton. Thats about the only time I ever drive that truck is pulling a trailer. Each vehicle has its purpose.
Another thing to mention, is it doesn't take much wieght at all for the rear suspension to be sitting on the bumpstops. Makes for a jarring ride over the rough spots. In my opinion, Tacomas are meant to be cruisers and off-roaders.....not pullers

I know and can see why they are not meant to pull heavier weight camper trailers, despite their towing capacity, but i'm talking about like a 900-1500lb tent trailer.. can't see it being a problem, especially when smaller vehicles tow them all the time.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are sticking with that wieght class then it will do great. Like I said....Toyota builds an awesome truck! If they made a 3/4 ton, I would buy one today! Bet it would be built ten times better than my chevy. The Tacoma we have is pushing 60,000 miles. And not one penny in repairs. Can't beat that with a stick!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, I love my truck, its the weekend warrior mobile and the grocery getter, haven't towed anything with it yet although I'm sure that if you stuck well under 3000lbs it would do just fine, it comes with a complete tow package so its designed to tow something. I love it for hauling the bikes though, definitely well-designed box as far as the adjustable tie-downs, etc. and I get really good use out of the electrical outlet and the cubby boxes too!

Mine is just going on about 40,000km and it's a 2009, still on stock rubber! I would like to convince my hubby to get rid of his crappy little SUV and get a bigger truck like he wants, so that I can keep the Taco , and have that and a full-size 1/2 ton as well. I have 2 years left on the lease so we'll see... I did see a concept V8 Tacoma..would be pretty sweet if they came out with it.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think you will be fine L.D...Can't see a problem...

Just gotta get you and the BF a couple sleds and your good to go!!..:)

Top Bottom