touching up painting on a hood

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
touch up painting on a hood

I've been workin on tearing off all the stickers off my sled getting ready to polish her up nice and shiny black, my question is i've got a bunch of little nicks in the hood and what would be the best way to fix these? they are just below the paint surface, would sanding on them a bit and gettin a little brush to paint them in, sanding them again, and puttin a coat of clear coat over them fix them. Or does somebody have a better procedure? Anybody know of a good paint to use on the hood (stock black 01 doo hood)

Last edited:

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Boondokin, sounds like you have the right idea on how to fix it, here is some imput on what I've done.
First off use a very fine sandpaper (min. 1000 grit) to lightly scuff a small area around the spot.
If you know someone in a bodyshop get them to mix you a touch up bottle of unreduced black base coat mixed with clearcoat. Mix ratio 1:1. This will save the step between base and clear. This mixture is fairly thick helping you build up the area. Just dab in the area a little at a time until the chip disappears.
Let that sit overnight and then sand it down level with the surface. I perfer wet sanding with 1500 grit.
Once all your chips are fixed up you can start polishing.
Good luck with it, hope some of this helps.

Stickman

Top Bottom