Any autobody paint experts out there? I think I opened up a can of worms!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys that are so fussy should go to a dealer lot and look at some of the new vehicles,,pick them apart,and then come tell me what you think...they are not even close to perfect,,door gaps are off, hoods and lights dont line up properly,,doors not "shingled" properly....go ahead look ..i see it everyday,,,you think its brand new and perfect..pfft it aint!!!

haha excactly what i posted,,, maybe 1 in 5 is flawless probaly more like 1 in 10 are flawless when new,,,, or we have already repainted or repaired the damage lol

they scraped some white paint off my new freeride before I even picked it up , I was kinda bummed but I knew in 3 rides i wouldnt be worried,,,

original paint always the best paint,, but hey we have tricks to hide all sorts of stuff lol

ohh man or like a new house,, its sad how dirty some builders let the house get after most finish work is in,, the garbage and debris in the tubs and vents,,, all that drywall dust from touch ups in the carpets,, random trades people in and out,,, I could go on here too,,, now thats sad as well.....

man Im too picky lol

Medler do you paint?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mike can probably fixer with a couple rattle cans, he is the painting guru. although the last time i looked he had a nasty lookin hand, probably shakin his personal "rattle can" and missed a beat and coco bonked himself. hehe had to mike. j/k

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
haha excactly what i posted,,, maybe 1 in 5 is flawless probaly more like 1 in 10 are flawless when new,,,, or we have already repainted or repaired the damage lol

they scraped some white paint off my new freeride before I even picked it up , I was kinda bummed but I knew in 3 rides i wouldnt be worried,,,

original paint always the best paint,, but hey we have tricks to hide all sorts of stuff lol

ohh man or like a new house,, its sad how dirty some builders let the house get after most finish work is in,, the garbage and debris in the tubs and vents,,, all that drywall dust from touch ups in the carpets,, random trades people in and out,,, I could go on here too,,, now thats sad as well.....

man Im too picky lol

Medler do you paint?

True Johni...The temperature,air pressure.air circulation,,all play factors in color match,,,,2 people can spray the same color and it will be a little off,,,even how fast they move in the booth.....
the thing people dont understand is the metallics in the paint and the angles(flip and flop its called),even change colour,,and plastics will look different when painted than the tin pop can called a fender or hood etc...new vehicles are crap...they are built to self destruct...go figure eh??so ya can buy a new one LOL,
And i do have the painters cert, but i just do the collision end of things..i was only good enough to paint fire trucks ,,and little hobby stuff..and i hated the chemicals that soak in through your skin all day long!!

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
AHH Larry,,Ijust spit up my beer...LMFAO

We have 2 very good painters,,and i have to honestly say they are probably two of the best i have seen in years

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I went by the shop to see how it went and talk to the manager.

I asked him about the blemish and if he would have left it. He said no. He figured it was very thin, and the primer might be exposed. He said ford gives them allowance to do just the door, but he said that he knows from experience that it's just not worth it to just go half way.... because the customer would just reject it.
He said that he does not make or lose money on clams like this, it's a dealership and he gets his salary so he may as well do the best he could.
He said they have 4 guys working there , each with at least 20 years experience.

Looking at the truck, as it was in the drying stage, it looks very good. He was being realistic to me and said there will be some minor flecks, which they will have to polish out, as all body shops encounter. He was very confident and assured me that everything went very well.

Guess I will see tomorrow when they reinstall the trim, badge and handles.

I feel confident they are doing a good job.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Well, I went by the shop to see how it went and talk to the manager.

I asked him about the blemish and if he would have left it. He said no. He figured it was very thin, and the primer might be exposed. He said ford gives them allowance to do just the door, but he said that he knows from experience that it's just not worth it to just go half way.... because the customer would just reject it.

He said they have 4 guys working there , each with at least 20 years experience.

Looking at the truck, as it was in the drying stage, it looks very good. He was being realistic to me and said there will be some minor flecks, which they will have to polish out, as all body shops encounter. He was very confident and assured me that everything went very well.

Guess I will see tomorrow when they reinstall the trim, badge and handles.

I feel confident they are doing a good job.

I dont think you have anything to worry about,,he sounds very honest and upfront.....
And ya we get dirt nips to,pretty well impossible not to,but they get polished up and its good to go...
Better brag them up when you get the truck back....

OH one more thing,,the paint will be soft for a bit so be carefull with it and no waxing etc,,hand wash and wipe dry,,avoid the car wash.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHH Larry,,Ijust spit up my beer...LMFAO

We have 2 very good painters,,and i have to honestly say they are probably two of the best i have seen in years

yer so modest, i hear you spray without the lights on, you just feel he paint going on. or so says dougie. hehe

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True Johni...The temperature,air pressure.air circulation,,all play factors in color match,,,,2 people can spray the same color and it will be a little off,,,even how fast they move in the booth.....
the thing people dont understand is the metallics in the paint and the angles(flip and flop its called),even change colour,,and plastics will look different when painted than the tin pop can called a fender or hood etc...new vehicles are crap...they are built to self destruct...go figure eh??so ya can buy a new one LOL,
And i do have the painters cert, but i just do the collision end of things..i was only good enough to paint fire trucks ,,and little hobby stuff..and i hated the chemicals that soak in through your skin all day long!!

haha good for you every painter I have met that has sprayed for 20 plus years seems like he has huffed a few too many chemicals lol,,, now these days much better but those chemicals day in day out are brutal and thats another reason hard to find good help!!!!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its all finesse work, if you dont take alot , and i mean alot of pride in what your doing , your gonna get exactly that... average work.
I remember when i first started the autobody trade, my third project was a 79 vette that had the front end smashed off of it by a pickup truck , so after a bunch of hours on the rack with a laser,ect, got it on the ground and the owner decided at that point he wanted to refinish the car complete. Ok no problem, did that, however i didnt spray it, or senior sprayer did it with hvlp, looked good but that wasnt quite enough, so it came back into my hands after it was clear coated. i spent the next week with a bloke and 1500 grit wet paper sanding all the orange peel from it, then about 3 days with a buffer to gloss the clear back up.I tell you this that car couldnt hold a drop of water on it anywhere to save its azz, it simple beaded up and fell off... By far my favorite project i had ever done.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

man Im too picky lol

Medler do you paint?

I remember being in my brothers truck after the door was replaced, went to put it down and the glass fell out.....Crap like that annoys the hell out of me how people just don't care. Took two more tries to fix it properly. It was flame red, and the paint never matched again, it was pretty close but anyone could tell which door was replaced if they looked real close, even though they did blend it onto the rear door and fender. When my dad picked up his from a passenger side repaint, they were going to adjust the drivers door because it was a bit noisy. They tried to bend the top lip down a bit to make it fit better, instead they completely crumpled it and tried to give it back like that! The door was bent so bad it wouldn't even close. Eventually replaced the whole door, but it never fit right again. Also the truck was 2-tone and none of lines on the re-paint matched, were off by a LOT and weren't even straight. The bottom paint didn't even need to be touched as it was in good shape. Plus you could clearly see which doors had been taken apart by them, and which ones were from the factory as none of the hardware was back 100%. It was a lease so he wasn't as picky as if he owned it. The body shops exact words were "It's just a truck". I don't get where these idiots get the nerve to say that, why does it matter that it's a truck? It should be the EXACT same quality as a car.

Not a fan of body work on my vehicles for obvious reasons......It would be different if this was the rarity, but it's the normal almost everywhere.

However, I did own one truck that had been repainted and it was easily 8/10 and they did a pretty good job, besides for under the hood, that is where they dropped the ball. Everytime the truck was washed, more and more paint would come off because it wasn't preped properly, and the paint lines under the hood were terrible, rad support etc wasn't even painted and it was a big color change so stuck out horribly.

New homes are another story......More like a frigging joke. I want to strangle 95% of people who worked on my house.....

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn that frown upside down Cyle.

Got the truck back at approx. 4:30 pm.

Inspected the work briefly, Talked to the Manager, and asked him a few questions.
I will post some pics of the truck tomorrow, when there is full light.

So far, it looks flawless, except for some rubber trim that had some paint on it and they failed to catch in the end, I think I rushed them.

He told me that if anything turns up that I have a concern, bring it back.

So far I am very pleased with their quality. Got treated first class, and you can't ask for more.

More to come..

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn that frown upside down Cyle.

Got the truck back at approx. 4:30 pm.

Inspected the work briefly, Talked to the Manager, and asked him a few questions.
I will post some pics of the truck tomorrow, when there is full light.

So far, it looks flawless, except for some rubber trim that had some paint on it and they failed to catch in the end, I think I rushed them.

He told me that if anything turns up that I have a concern, bring it back.

So far I am very pleased with their quality. Got treated first class, and you can't ask for more.

More to come..

Crap, think I need to convert to Ford if there dealerships can actually fix something right.........That would be a awesome change of pace.

That's great if it's fixed right though, really nice to see.

Last edited:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
two times i had to have someone else fiix my truck it came back flawless!! Guy up here in FSJ is a different character but my old chev shortbox was wet sanded to a mirror when bambi got involved. told him straight out and it came back just like it rolled out of the original paint booth. Hes done two projects for me a cobra and that cummins build, both right on the money. the cobra fiberglass body was a mirror, till the trim. don't take much when you slip with a drill!! fuel filler drivers side, he made it disappear. As far as metallic FML i sanded down a canopy 4 times with chev pewter. finally gave up, i see it around and it never faded in looks like a zebra!!! i tryed everything i could find on the internet to make those flakes settle and it was a dissaster!!!! the truck in my avatar i painted 5 of those in the desert and they turned out better than that canopy!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shop was Waterloo Ford Body shop.

Took a real close look at the work. Other than some minor minor residue from the liquid mask that washes off, I could not find a flaw.
Masked edges were perfect, colour match was perfect, no orange-peel.... nothing!! They even touched up some rock chips on the bumper trim.
Here's a couple of pics, there was a trace of the usual Edmonton road dirt on it already.. LOL

Only way one could tell is that the original clearcoat has some minute swirl that I will buff out in the spring.

I can't upload pics for some reason..

Top Bottom