opinion on truck to buy

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure where to post this? mods feel free to move if need be.

well guys as you may know i sold my truck today and im looking to buy/build a new truck. i have found a truck here in town, its a 2001 dodge 2500 5.9 six speed. short box, 360,000 kms hes owned it for the last six years and bought it when it had 140k-160k. he has kept up on the work needed to be done and replaced parts as needed. he is a sales guy who travels to jobsites my guess would be florring or counters? (he said all he brings along is a ladder to work and his samples) so maybe he is selling roof supplies? anyways, he said the clutch has never been changed that he knows of, or that he has ever had to change. there is a little rust starting on the front fenders and a seam on drivers seat has popped.

please give me your opinons on this truck as im not a dodge guy but for a good price i will drive one haha. if there are any tell tale signs with the dodge to look for please let me know.

he is asking $7300.00 obo and has a new truck picked out and wants this gone.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5.9 six speed is a good work horse.good mpg.ect.I have had afew problems with mine,but what truck doesnt have the odd problem.Fuel preasure gauge is the Absolute 1'st thing any cummins should have that isnt a common rail.
If the lift pump itsnt supplying enough fuel preasure,it will burn out the Vp44,and you dont want that.Lift pump is $130-200
depending on where you get it.and VP44 is $1100-1500. Just because the lift pump is making noise,doesnt mean it's doing
F/A. Six speeds also should be almost a litre overfull for proper Lube of the high end gears.Good thing about the Six speeds
as well,is they come with the dana 80 instead of the dana 70.
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum read some posts there,if you have more questions.
I'm sure there is afew 5.9 guys on here as well.Not very many trucks out there will get the MPG that a 5.9 will.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O, and also.A 5.9 pre 2003 IS NOT a very fast engine (in most cases) at warming up in the winter.
When it's 20 below or colder, they have to idle a long time before they will make any temp,or are driveable.
A chip with a high idle option is almost a must.IMO

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it the Blue one on Hwy 6 climbing the hill leaving vernon?
7300 seems a little steep for that many Km's.
I'd sell you my 07 Dura max w/ 200Km for not too much more the that.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too many kms for me, spend $150.00 on a mechanical inspection than you see if it needs anything. That could be and will be money well spent. I have had this done before buying

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, i will have a good buddy look it over who works on the dodges and drives one.

no this is not the blue one, its red i offered him $5500 via email but no reply yet.
id love the duramax but to much money sorry, second thought ill show the wife pics of your truck if you have any?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
360K might be wore out for some trucks,but not a 5.9 cummins.They are a LONG,LONG lasting engine and powertrain,
if looked after.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
360K might be wore out for some trucks,but not a 5.9 cummins.They are a LONG,LONG lasting engine and powertrain,
if looked after.
Yes but the body is probably been skaken the sh"t out it, stay away my god. What is your dollar range.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Six speeds also should be almost a litre overfull for proper Lube of the high end gears.
I'm no dodge mechanic, just a dumb welder, but I have read that this is a common misconception. It seems like 50% of guys run the extra liter in the NV trans', and the other 50% says "you're an idiot, if it was supposed to have another liter, they would have raised the fill hole". I have also read that it will wash out a certain bearing/bushing. Me personally, I don't run it, if by 2002 they hadn't fixed the "mistake", it probably wasn't a mistake....

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but the body is probably been skaken the sh"t out it, stay away my god. What is your dollar range.
I have a 96 with 360k on it. Runs great, uses no oil. Has had the usual repairs, transmission, axle seals, brakes starter, alternator. The engine .... oill changes, fuel filters and valve adjstments. Body is great. It is all how they are looked after. I will load two sleds on the deck and take that truck anywhere.

Top Bottom