Tons of fun until....

Shankster

Reaction score
:nono:Hello All, I would just like to say thanks to the group that helped pull one of my sleds down the trail from the Renshaw cabin here on Thursdays night! I really do believe that sledders need to take care of sledders to keep this fun sport alive even when things are not so great!!! On another note, I would like to keep the sledding groups informed for your own info, my buddy and I had some problems with the other sled and could not get it out of "winebuger"(2 bowls past the Anthills up Renshaw). So we went looking for help to get this bad boy out since we already had a dead sled!
Option 1, Was to get a chopper to lift this thing out of there which is $1300 an hour and they were figuring about an 1.5 hrs should cover it.
Option 2, An even more kick in the nuts in an already bad situation, Apparently Mcbride has a "Rescue Guy" that will come get your sled for you! This guy only wanted $1800 to get my sled out! This sled is not even 5km past the Renshaw cabin! I believe in making money and all but I believe if any town that is promoting sledding activity, is going to screw a guy over when "shite happens" this needs to be advertised. It really is something when a guy can get a sled off anywhere off the boulder mountain in Revelstoke with a chopper and they will set it on your pickup for under 500 dollars. I am a seasoned sledder and am well aware of how things work but come on people....you guys are abusing the sport!!! It's fairly evident anymore that if we are going to continue with this sport we are going to have to look at the worst case scenario....in the descision tree to decide where the best all around place is to ride even if you lose a sled! Again thank's to the group out of Edmonton that helped get my buddy and I out that night. Also would like to say thank you to the very informative people at Spindrift on the way out of town north! Good luck Shezik, rescuing the other sled on Tuesday!!!

Last edited:

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:Hello All, I would just like to say thanks to the group that helped pull one of my sleds down the trail from the Renshaw cabin here on Thursdays night! I really do believe that sledders need to take care of sledders to keep this fun sport alive even when things are not so great!!! On another note, I would like to keep the sledding groups informed for your own info, my buddy and I had some problems with the other sled and could not get it out of "winebuger"(2 bowls past the Anthills up Renshaw). So we went looking for help to get this bad boy out since we already had a dead sled!
Option 1, Was to get a chopper to lift this thing out of there which is $1300 an hour and they were figuring about an 1.5 hrs should cover it.
Option 2, An even more kick in the nuts in an already bad situation, Apparently Mcbride has a "Rescue Guy" that will come get your sled for you! This guy only wanted $1800 to get my sled out! This sled is not even 5km past the Renshaw cabin! I believe in making money and all but I believe if any town that is promoting sledding activity, is going to screw a guy over when "shite happens" this needs to be advertised. It really is something when a guy can get a sled off anywhere off the boulder mountain in Revelstoke with a chopper and they will set it on your pickup for under 500 dollars. I am a seasoned sledder and am well aware of how things work but come on people....you guys are abusing the sport!!! It's fairly evident anymore that if we are going to continue with this sport we are going to have to look at the worst case scenario....in the descision tree to decide where the best all around place is to ride even if you lose a sled! Again thank's to the group out of Edmonton that helped get my buddy and I out that night. Also would like to say thank you to the very informative people at Spindrift on the way out of town north! Good luck Shezik, rescuing the other sled on Tuesday!!!

I am very sorry you feel that way about the Rescue guy but just a little info for you before you go ranting off... This is not an easy gig... all prices are set due to the area and terrain where the sled is parked... you also said dead sled not smashed tunnel changes the way it is approached. I have been on a few rescues in the past and blown 2 belts on one machine and popped a motor due to an overworked sled trying to pull out of the back bowls. 1800 was a little high but until the situation is assessed (the boys get in and decide how to pull out etc.) how many machines would be needed to make a safe pull out and when they go into the Reshaw it is a min of 3 guys... So lets do a little math
3-4 guys for the day 150 a head + 3-4 tanks of fuel say 40 each + 3 belts + 180 plus each for brand specific belts and its already over 1200 in costs just to go in then if it takes 8 hours to get to the truck plus many other hurdles that vary due to snow pack and trail conditions... this is not a big money maker as you seem to think this is a rip off and I am sorry but on a good pull out as the boys only take a deposit the rate would drop have seen this Rescue Guy quote 1500 for a wrecked sled in a bowl when we arrived it was a load up and easy pull out when we got down the price was dropped to 900 maybe do your homework before you judge and I hope all goes well with the removal and if you have any other concerns please feel free to PM me and I can put you in contact with Mr Rescue... Sorry for the rant but these locals are close friends and are not trying to RIP anyone off we need more guys like them around... and just an FYI there are several boys on this site that Mr. Rescue has saved

Rant over sorry didn't mean to offend anyone

Shifty

nathan

Reaction score
$1300? thats good. Yellow Head, charged us $3,700 to pull two sleds out at the same time from the same sh!t hole of a spot. That was cool... And I didnt even get a T shirt.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes shifty when u add the numbers up it adds up, lots of time and exspense goes into getting something out of the boon docks. TIME is Money

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes shifty when u add the numbers up it adds up, lots of time and exspense goes into getting something out of the boon docks. TIME is Money

Thanks guys don't mean to get worked up but our sleds are our lives and when someone does not have all the facts and rants off it hurts we do this out of love for the sport not to get rich... Making big money never came to mind making sure costs are covered is the goal...

Shifty

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Also why Yellowhead choppers charges so much is that they have to fly there from Valemount, then pick up the sled, take it to the McBride airport, then they fuel up and head back to Valemount. In Revy, Selkirk choppers is not far down the road from the Boulder Staging area. They fire the chopper up and there there loading the sled in minutes and back to the hanger in no time.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I am very sorry you feel that way about the Rescue guy but just a little info for you before you go ranting off... This is not an easy gig... all prices are set due to the area and terrain where the sled is parked... you also said dead sled not smashed tunnel changes the way it is approached. I have been on a few rescues in the past and blown 2 belts on one machine and popped a motor due to an overworked sled trying to pull out of the back bowls. 1800 was a little high but until the situation is assessed (the boys get in and decide how to pull out etc.) how many machines would be needed to make a safe pull out and when they go into the Reshaw it is a min of 3 guys... So lets do a little math
3-4 guys for the day 150 a head + 3-4 tanks of fuel say 40 each + 3 belts + 180 plus each for brand specific belts and its already over 1200 in costs just to go in then if it takes 8 hours to get to the truck plus many other hurdles that vary due to snow pack and trail conditions... this is not a big money maker as you seem to think this is a rip off and I am sorry but on a good pull out as the boys only take a deposit the rate would drop have seen this Rescue Guy quote 1500 for a wrecked sled in a bowl when we arrived it was a load up and easy pull out when we got down the price was dropped to 900 maybe do your homework before you judge and I hope all goes well with the removal and if you have any other concerns please feel free to PM me and I can put you in contact with Mr Rescue... Sorry for the rant but these locals are close friends and are not trying to RIP anyone off we need more guys like them around... and just an FYI there are several boys on this site that Mr. Rescue has saved

Rant over sorry didn't mean to offend anyone

Shifty

Thank you, Shifty.

Rescuing a downed sled is not an easy (or cheap) task. Until they get a look at the sled, the rescuers don't know what they are getting into. MANY of their "customers" don't give them the whole/true picture, or tell them the wrong place to look out there. They have to quote high on something unseen like that. These boys are HONEST, and once they have gotten in and assessed the situation, they lower the price accordingly. Hard to give a price on something sight unseen. Ask your mechanic to give you a quote on work using only a vague description of the problem.
I do know that the "rescue guys" received conflicting reports from people as to the problem with the sled in question.

I'm sorry that the sledder was not happy - we do not like to see that here. Anyone that knows the "rescue guys" here know that they are the best and that they are honest.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what shankster means when he says he is a seasoned rider. A seasoned rider would know what it take to get a sled out of the back country. As a seasoned sledder he should have been able to get the sled out on his own. rknight111 has the facts right about the chopper costs and shifty423 has the math down for a old school sled extraction. I think shankster need to rethink his thread and hand out apologies.

Shankster

Reaction score
Point's Taken! Sorry guys if I offended anyone! The option wasn't given to possibly be cheaper to rescue the sled. As for the cost I do believe it to be high but I guess call it bad timing/luck on the motor going in my other sled minutes after trying to get the first broke down one out so maybe 1800 is reasonable considering the cost of motors. Again my apologies to anyone that took offence to this, I guess i'm just a little more sour at the whole situation!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes a big man to put out an apology. good on you. Unfortunate timing and bad luck go part and parcel with snowmobiling. I always say,"An education costs money, some of us just have to spend more."I can understand your being upset with having to fork out 18 bones to rescue a sled but that is the price we pay for taking the risk of back country sledding. If you're not prepared to take that risk then maybe you should be looking at sledding in a more accessible area. And shankster, when I say you're and you, in the previous sentence, I don't mean you in particular. Just throwing it out there to all that read this thread.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes a big man to put out an apology. good on you.

X2

I get PO'd when my stuff breaks good for you to see the other side.
I had a friend break down and they had 6 sleds it took them 4 days to get it out on their own. They learned lots :rant: I talked to them and after wrecking a weekend for 6 guys 1800 don't seem that bad.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have done a ton of recovery for many people and you are the first to complain.
first of all we need the correct info to access the cost. we were told that sled was blown. that my friend is a full blown tow job.
after the fact we were told that the track was ratcheting and engine running, that is a total different job all together.
sounds like you got your problem solved, happy sled'n.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys do know that 4 strokes motors will never leave you hanging in the back country right?

lmao...couldn't resist :p
smells like a someone has gas, bring out the air freshner, lol:nono:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled still runs...lol!, it has a bent tunnel and the drivers are slipping on the track, I have rode with Mr. Rescue and stayed at another guy's place that very offend helps Mr. Rescue rescue sleds and rescue people...and both are top notch, stand up guys. I am friends with Shankster and have known him for many years he to is a stand up guy. I think at times when so many things get thrown at people that are hard to deal with people tend to get upset/pissed off. Having 2 sleds down, then having to leave for over seas the very next day, and a rescue amount that at the moment seemed high, I understand his frustration when he won't even be around to help sort it out. Shifty423 the way you put the cost involved in doing this sort of thing is bang on, it can get very pricey, and when you break it all down it shows Shifty423 I met you as well a couple years back in Renshaw i was with the IQ race sled tracked out with the 800 race motor in it(see attached pic) When I come to Mcbride next I will look you up for a beer at the Grizz. As for the heli...I have no experience with them knock on wood. Anyways hope the rescue goes well who ever does end up doing it, I know BigIQ? will be there punctured arm, and banged up hip and all. I just watched the video of the crash on Facebook....classic!....BigIQ? what were you thinking...lol?:d

Attachments

• Mcbride 041.jpg
    Mcbride 041.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 47

Shankster

Reaction score
we have done a ton of recovery for many people and you are the first to complain.
first of all we need the correct info to access the cost. we were told that sled was blown. that my friend is a full blown tow job.
after the fact we were told that the track was ratcheting and engine running, that is a total different job all together.
sounds like you got your problem solved, happy sled'n.

No it runs fine it's mostly drivable but the track does ratchet real bad! We almost had it 3/4 way out of wineburger but we ran out of daylight.....and I needed to get home as I was leaving for the middle east the next afternoon!:eek: Lucky we left when we did cause the very next pull out of wineburger my RT Turbo also decided to blow a piston to make things worse! On one lung though the RT got us to the cabin safely then some guys helped us 2 guys out and towed the RT out! What a day, 2 riders, 2 turbo's, and nothing but absolute carnage! Good thing I made it to the plane!:rolleyes:
Well if nothing else, people want to know what it cost's to get a sled out of Renshaw.....well there you go!:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom