Tire chain questions

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man, I shudder when watching Highway Thru Hell and seeing those guys destroying those chinese chains by scratching on the pavement...cross rails flailing and rails wrapped around axles...yikes.

you can spin them Tryggs until the studs look like dimes without worry as long as they're snug lol.

yeah, I firmly believe you should have to have chain endorsments on your class 1 in BC, before you get a class 1 you should have to take a separate test to prove you know how to install chains and when you should install chains. I go by the old school, if you look out your window and wonder if you should chain up, then its time to chain up. Put them on before you need them, put them on in a place where it is easy to put them on and your life if much easier. By the end of the season it takes me 3 to 4 minutes to install a set and be back behind the wheel.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
81199d1f1a722af5129b8aa0b4cb2dbd.jpg

Used for summer camping too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will they scuff up my wheels?[/QUOTE]

The mistake that a lot of people make, which ends up damaging something, including your tire, is not making sure the chains are snug. The cam tighteners and bungees will keep the v-bar style crosslinks from rolling over so that they cut into the ice/road instead of your tire. I have also seen lots of people with loose chains have them slide off the side of the tire and wrap around the axle, possibly ripping things like brake lines off. My advice is to practice putting them on somewhere dry and warm so that you know how to use them when the time counts.

You can also get cable chains at places like Canadian Tire for way cheaper, but they're not going to do what a v-bar will.

Don't forget to put one on the trailer as a drag chain so that doesn't slide off the road.

We got two sets from Trygg to fully chain a 4x4 with 17" tires at Northern Metallic a couple of years ago for about $700.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of auto adjustable chains from princess auto a few years ago. Used them about 5 times. They work great. Easy to install and remove. They automatically tension up as you drive. Store real nice in a case that fits under the seat.

Not sure what sizes they come in. Worth checking out tho

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tryggs are made of fully hardened steel while v-bars are only surface hardened. The tryggs will last much longer than vbars and stand up to higher loads. That's why a lot of big trucks use the tryggs. When I worked in the patch I'd wear out 2sets of vbars per year, and a set of tryggs would last almost twice as long.
Vbars are better in mud and when new bite into the ice better than the tryggs, but as they wear the lose that edge. As chains get older they wear out the cross links where they meet the side chains and eventually break. When that happens the cross link whips around and either eats the fender and wheel well or wrap around the axle and rip off your brake lines etc. The tryggs tend to do that less because of the hardened steel. Either way, inspect the ends of the cross links for wear. If you see any, replace them! Cross links are available from the suppliers as well as chain pliers.
For the casual user, a good set of vbars are good enough. Buy them from a reputable supplier, and have them install cam tensioners on the outside rail. I always had an open disconnect link installed on the end of the inside rail, with a regular tire chain boomer on the outside rail.
A few tips. Put them On BEFORE YOU NEED THEM!!! It's a bitch to get them on after you're stuck or spun sideways.
Lay The chains over the tire, with the boomer at about the 7 o'clock position with the rest of the chain draped over the tire with the loose ends out behind the rear wheel. (Orient it so the vbars are facing out!) Make sure the boomer is not where you're gonna run over it and bend it.
Slowly drive ahead and run over the chain until the boomer is about a foot behind the tire then stop. Connect the inside rail together (that's where the open disconnect link is handy) then pull the outside rail ends together as far as you can and lock them together with the boomer. Drive forward another 1/2 revolution of the tire or so and then tighten up the cam tensioners on the outside rail. Bungee any loose links on the end of the side rail chains down, and if you want put some more across the tire if you like. (Not usually necessary with the cam tensioners). Check them after a mile or so and re- tighten if necessary. Keep your speed down (<50k) and if you hear any whacking and banging stop and check it out ( usually a broken cross link).

Hope this helps, tutorial over!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got these, was sceptical but less chance of damage and owe so easy too put on!
d5b877e345b62c6a9fd6e9468a7660c4.jpg

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen those for cars and supposedly popular in Europe, but I'm not sure just how well they would do in snowy icy conditions. Maybe shiny ice, but not sure about the slushy stuff we can deal with here.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the same, snow and ice only! Pretty hard too damage fenders on a pick up , been sledding a longtime and only chained up 2 times, these things work good for short trips , kind of like a air bag, you will likely never use it but good insurance, did I mention all our rigs at work use these too , but chain are good too happy fenders lol

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the same, snow and ice only! Pretty hard too damage fenders on a pick up , been sledding a longtime and only chained up 2 times, these things work good for short trips , kind of like a air bag, you will likely never use it but good insurance, did I mention all our rigs at work use these too , but chain are good too happy fenders lol

Looked at them at the local truck shop, I guess by definition they are CVSE compliant for trucks, but man, if I gotta chain up, I think I want just a bit more bite under my ass. Put them on before your in trouble, I wouldnt want to try and lift off with them in a bad spot.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like them for commercial applications but my boss says that's what we use, he pays the bills lol, as for a quick trip too belle, I like em. Don't use them enough sledding too wear em out , they are unreal on glare ice and that's where you will use em sledding ....JMO

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did I mention I have a set of chains for a 17 inch tire for sale, might fit 18

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like them for commercial applications but my boss says that's what we use, he pays the bills lol, as for a quick trip too belle, I like em. Don't use them enough sledding too wear em out , they are unreal on glare ice and that's where you will use em sledding ....JMO

I do admit if I need to carry chains in my personal vehicle I would consider them, would I put them on? Probably not.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol, called autosocks

TJ(turbojoe)

Reaction score
Lol, called autosocks

Well you don't say. Never seen that before. Kinda reminds me of when I snapped a chain case chain on my old pro a few years ago straight up and down. It was a hair straight back wude open out of conyrol ride back down the mountain with no brakes.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom