Tire chain questions

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take mine all the time.

Summer wet grass and mud have used a few times with toyhauler.

Winter hunting on icy hills.

Saved me on a few trips
I got them after a pants chitting moment on the Hasler road west of Chetwynd, just haven't run into those conditions again since but they are inside the sled trailer every trip.

no fricken way am I packing them in the summer, if the trail getting in is that bad I'll find somewhere else to camp! lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got them after a pants chitting moment on the Hasler road west of Chetwynd, just haven't run into those conditions again since but they are inside the sled trailer every trip.

no fricken way am I packing them in the summer, if the trail getting in is that bad I'll find somewhere else to camp! lol

That mud chain picture is by Outwest Campground on a flat grass field. It rained a lot. I could not move on wet grass in 4x4. Just spin. Only needed chains for 200 yards to lease road. I was first one out to site.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple to lengthen those chains yourself.

The best is still with a chain tool, which I do not have. Buying one would be just as much as buying new chains after selling these ones plus the cost of new cross bars and side chain. And add my labour. I am not cheap lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys seem to be paying an awful lot for your chains, unless our trucking company gets a massive discount.?. I paid under $150 for a set of tryg triple for my company dually, $75 for my single wheel duramax. All through Kal Tire

i do make up chains for my buddies from from time to time. When a set of triples start to wear out on our tankers, I break them down to a single, add and space out the remaining cross bars. Last us 20yrs or beyond for how much a pickup uses them

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added more cross rails on mine so its a "smoother" ride. Works really well. Its not to go faster, its to eliminate the "bounce".

Doo2015

Reaction score
Has anyone ever adjusted the size of the chain? I found a set of chains that are 35/12.5R20 but my tires are only 11.5 wide. The guy said I just need to shorten them which is easily done. Same for the set for my trailer, they have them for a 16" wheel but my wheels on trailer are 15". How does a person go about making the adjustments?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chain pliers, pretty easy too shorten them, where are you located , I could help if your close

Doo2015

Reaction score
I'm in Saskatchewan. I could probably take them to a tire shop that sells chains I'm thinking?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup long drive lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Saskatchewan. I could probably take them to a tire shop that sells chains I'm thinking?
stop by a truck stop, look for a trucker with tire chains hanging off his racks and ask if he has a pair of chain pliers. I doubt the tire shops would have a set of chain pliers, let alone know how to use them. you may need to use a zip cut or something to trim the loose chain ends after shortening them

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred's got a question? Where u going sledding that u need chains on 4x4?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Roughrider Rigging, try give them a call. Have a Location in Regina I think Saskatoon too. I'm going to get them to make me a new set of V bars. I think they charge about $500 a set.

Reactions: TDR

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roughrider Rigging, try give them a call. Have a Location in Regina I think Saskatoon too. I'm going to get them to make me a new set of V bars. I think they charge about $500 a set.

$500 a set?????????????????????????????? really?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Set of 4 500 is about right, but wtf you need 4 for on a pick up lol..........Bell in Mcbride has had some slippery days as well!

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up two pairs of vbars at Bumper to Bumper for 125 a piece. Just for peace of mind. I got in a bad situation a couple years back pulling a big enclosed, and would rather avoid that in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vbar vc322 with cams for 275/70-18 at Traction heavy duty parts RD $180 for a set of two chains.

Top Bottom