Tire chain questions

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I laughed when I seen pics the first time , Ive thrown my fair shareof jewelry, these are very durable, I don't see them tearing off unless your driving like a tard. I bought them cause replacing a fender on a pick up is 1500 bucks, I've done some serious damage on trucks when those suckers break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ(turbojoe)

Reaction score
I laughed when I seen pics the first time , Ive thrown my fair shareof jewelry, these are very durable, I don't see them tearing off unless your driving like a tard. I bought them cause replacing a fender on a pick up is 1500 bucks, I've done some serious damage on trucks when those suckers break!

So they don't get caught on anything or tear anything off ? Is that the purpose of them ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alone have luck with cable chains? My experience with them good on one use on an icy drive up to staging area couple years ago.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alone have luck with cable chains? My experience with them good on one use on an icy drive up to staging area couple years ago.

Good for some vehicles because of their lower profile. Not as durable as chain, and when they start to fray they can destroy a tire quickly, not to mention what they'll do to your hands. Little lateral grip as well due to the profile of the cable.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haul cars and these are the ones for the rig I drive, only used once but seem pretty durable, should be good on a pick up!
bcf381272a28418b45fbc5fe11693267.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned V-bar are good, Studded tend to last longer. Installation is important. I personally don't run mine over 50km/h and even then that is too much for my liking unless needed. End up throwing a chain and taking out your brake lines, abs lines, whatever else gets caught.

There should be not reason chains will wreck a wheel unless installed incorrectly. I have a set of single cam studded that no longer fit my new tires which is a shame as they are ridiculous and just bite into anything when needed. I have searched all over and cannot find a shop that can add a length of side chain with a few cross bar sections. I guess I should get them in the classifieds. If anyone is interested in the mean time they fit 265/70/17 or other 31" equivalent. They were over $300 new and seen minimal use.

Can't comment on the auto socks. But my main experience for having to need chains is non maintained FSR roads, not ice covered highways which is why I like the studded ones.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Pretty simple to lengthen those chains yourself.
As mentioned V-bar are good, Studded tend to last longer. Installation is important. I personally don't run mine over 50km/h and even then that is too much for my liking unless needed. End up throwing a chain and taking out your brake lines, abs lines, whatever else gets caught.

There should be not reason chains will wreck a wheel unless installed incorrectly. I have a set of single cam studded that no longer fit my new tires which is a shame as they are ridiculous and just bite into anything when needed. I have searched all over and cannot find a shop that can add a length of side chain with a few cross bar sections. I guess I should get them in the classifieds. If anyone is interested in the mean time they fit 265/70/17 or other 31" equivalent. They were over $300 new and seen minimal use.

Can't comment on the auto socks. But my main experience for having to need chains is non maintained FSR roads, not ice covered highways which is why I like the studded ones.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a good video on chain installation.

It would be helpful.

Thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To learn the wrong way to do chit!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That is why I suggest a good video properly showing people.

I have used my chains a few times. Probably incorrect I don't know.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's pretty straight forward Ray, just practice it a few times and you'll get er down. looks like you had them on nicely here...you got the good ones too.
81199d1f1a722af5129b8aa0b4cb2dbd.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually...looking at that pic now your chains seem a little short. big gap in cross rails there

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually...looking at that pic now your chains seem a little short. big gap in cross rails there

Thanks.

That is why I am asking.

A lot lot of us have them but use them very little.

You our guys are experts and use them all the time.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

That is why I am asking.

A lot lot of us have them but use them very little.

You our guys are experts and use them all the time.
just got to make sure they are snug but not too tight, and keep any ends short so they don't flail around and wreck chit.

I bought a set for my pickup 10 years ago and have never used them lol. still in the bags

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got to make sure they are snug but not too tight, and keep any ends short so they don't flail around and wreck chit.

I bought a set for my pickup 10 years ago and have never used them lol. still in the bags

I take mine all the time.

Summer wet grass and mud have used a few times with toyhauler.

Winter hunting on icy hills.

Saved me on a few trips

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will install in the garage. Check gap. And get lengthen

Top Bottom