Tire chain questions

Doo2015

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a 4 place sled trailer which I'll be pulling with an f350. I just put new nitto exo grappler tires on in a 35/11.5r20 which do have the 3 peak snow rating but even then, coming down a logging trail in ice is very slippery. They are NOT studded, they will be used all year. I'm looking for a set of chains to have on hand but I haven't seen anything for that tire size. I read v-bar is a good style to get? Will they scuff up my wheels?

Last edited:

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a 4 place sled trailer which I'll be pulling with an f350. I just put new nitto exo grappler tires on in a 35/11.5r20 which do have the 3 peak snow rating but even then, coming down a logging trail in ice is very slippery. They are NOT studded, they will be used all year. I'm looking for a set of chains to have on hand but I haven't seen anything for that tire size. I read v-bar is a good style to get? Will they scuff up my wheels?

i always carry chains and have used them often enough, just call your local supplier and they will build you a set to fit your tire size. Get a good set, v bar with cams tighteners, use 3 bungee cords per wheel and you will never have a problem. Just learn how to put them on before you need them

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After being in a truck sliding backwards down a road I decided to always carry chains. I just picked up a set of V-bar truck chains from Titan supply for my new truck. Already had the spider bungee to tighten them up.

Trygg is also a good truck chain but they are much more pricey that the V-bar. Trygg was $250 and the V-bar was $137.15 for my size tire.

Tire Chains

Spider bungee I use to snug up the chains
l178875.jpg

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have enough clearance first... chains will destroy anything in there path, mud flaps etc

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between v bar and the trygg?
Trygg is a manufacturer, v-bar is a type of chain (design). I much prefer Trygg stud type, but that is on a heavy truck not a pickup.

Trygg is more expensive and usually much higher quality, most cheaper chains are Chinese built with brittler steel, but on a pickup that probably wont be a problem.

Last edited:

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
3b6f591caccbb1baadf48aa84cf300c3.jpg

Here is a set of trygg's on an f350. It's an 18" rim though. I never did run any bungee's the cams were adequate for keeping them tight.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Like stated earlier; do a test application at home in the driveway.Not only to familiarise yourself with the installation procedure but also to make sure they fit.Nothing worse than chaining up on an icy hill only to find out your chains are a couple inches too short.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have enough room to put chains on the steers of my truck so only on the back they go. Have ripped off the mud flaps once before.
Carry some quick links if you need extra length or the chain breaks etc

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trygg is a manufacturer, v-bar is a type of chain (design). I much prefer Trygg stud type, but that is on a heavy truck not a pickup.

Trygg is more expensive and usually much higher quality, most cheaper chains are Chinese built with brittler steel, but on a pickup that probably wont be a problem.

Thanks for clarifying! On the Titan Supply site they have Trygg and V-bar split up. I think the V-bar I ordered was Laclede.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying! On the Titan Supply site they have Trygg and V-bar split up. I think the V-bar I ordered was Laclede.

No problem, Trygg is kinda like Skidoo, Trygg makes tires chains, Ski-Doo makes snowmobiles, to the normal guy on the street thats the first name they think of. Laclede will do well for you, no need to spend the extra money on Trygg brand for a pickup.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

man, I shudder when watching Highway Thru Hell and seeing those guys destroying those chinese chains by scratching on the pavement...cross rails flailing and rails wrapped around axles...yikes.

you can spin them Tryggs until the studs look like dimes without worry as long as they're snug lol.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Lol.I've gone down the Coq with a set on at about 120 with sparks flying trying to get ahead of as many as possible before there's another fawk up and the road gets closed down again.
man, I shudder when watching Highway Thru Hell and seeing those guys destroying those chinese chains by scratching on the pavement...cross rails flailing and rails wrapped around axles...yikes.

you can spin them Tryggs until the studs look like dimes without worry as long as they're snug lol.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol.I've gone down the Coq with a set on at about 120 with sparks flying trying to get ahead of as many as possible before there's another fawk up and the road gets closed down again.
lol...did the studs look like dimes when you took 'em off?? I left them on from Fox Creek to Whitecourt during a blizzard hauling a service rig and they were pretty much done lol.

I gave them to a guy in parking lot of the Acheson husky, he was from Louisiana pulling a super b stuck in the parking lot. he tried to lay them on the ground and drive on them...had to show him the right way

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have gone to running Firestone 835's, put them on late october and get them siped, I probably chain up 70% less than I used to and NEVER have to chain up on the highway, they buggers grab like nothing I have ever run with that fresh sipe. I am a logger in the interior of BC, we see it all in the winter, hills, snow, ice, freeezing rain, big loads and lots of night time. I give a 100% thumbs up to that combination.

Top Bottom