Tips for dealing with new riding partners

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding with new people is always a bit of a gamble/adventure and fun.
This year with Caper11,Caper's friend, FastFarmer, Mactruck has turned out well as abilities not varying to greatly.
Then the two guys we met at Renhaw cabin that wanted to come along - they struggled to follow us so we limited how far we went, my riding partners not impressed as this was not planned.
These guys tried but were way outside their comfort zone in that days deep - guys had really good attitude so we stuck it out - Sprit that day got cancelled.
Each time they got stuck my cousin looked at me and said.....you brought them. He rides very few days and values them.
Tested their abilities to back side Renshaw and I was not risking going any farther or leaving them alone to get back to which some help was needed.

Be clear on expectations, this is fun but serious fun.
Usually I question new indoctrinees pretty thorough on ability, AST, First aid, survival, are you a distance rider before they get to come and they have to play by group rules.
Breakfast is when restaurant opens, 6:00AM is not 6:30AM, if you are late, maybe see you at supper.
Days 2 and three are the same timeline - this really separates who comes back, we party at home and go to the mountains to ride.
Bring spare gas, the more the better.
Booze stays in room or trailer.
Wander off and you will be forgiven once - every regular there will rip you a new attitude second time if we have to play sheep herder with you.
If you get this far and are trying we will teach you what we know.
Two of my cousins and my brother are the same and will teach and show what we know- most that have riddin with us want to come again.

New riders are fun but do your best interview so that they fit in and no one frustrated with their day.
Our whole regular group is pretty liery on who we let in, we have very limited days and we don't like to waste them.
Most of my group has been in mountains about 20 years, seen enough chit shows and grill the new guys pretty hard before we leave home.
At least you know what you are in for, surprises on the hill can be dangerous.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I call bullchit.
i guess it depends if you are going to be the group " leader "

myself, i always start with a new group and watch very carefully how they attack certain terrain, moving slowly into more complex terrain until i can see their limitations. Watch how they approach avalanche terrain or for that matter if they recognize it at all.

From there you can determine where to ride for the day. Nothing worse than having people out of their comfort zone begging to go home. Everyone wants to have fun so make sure its in terrain they can enjoy. Pushing down a bottomless creek leaving everyone exhausted and angry isn't the best approach. I learned this LOL

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah broke ass ski bum. Has a new 850,, but is living with 3 guys in a basement suite. That has got to suck, even in revelstoke. Better off working lol

Kinda sounds like the Frenchy i met..LOL..i have a Frenchy story, if it's the same dude but not for this thread hahaha

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New riders not so much, new riding partners yes.
There is a difference.

Yes i understand.
I'm much easier, as not everyone will fall into your expectation, especially on some of the comments being said by some. We are all sledders and not gods, so when one thinks he's know's best on how it should be that's a red flag. Most all the common riding areas are not difficult to ride and don't require special skill, i have rode them all many times. From McBride and Valemount to Golden and Revy including Sicamous. Infact most all of them are beginner level to experience/advance level and few are actually expert. Most expert level riding such as Turtle and certain areas of Eagles to name a couple are at that level for certain reason's, the risk that is part of the ride...UNAVOIDABLE, makes them expert level and no room "F" around, knowledge is key. I would never take a new to me rider for the first time with out first riding the more common areas. There has to be a certain level of trust and understanding and that cannot be done with out a certain amount of riding in a more forgiving terrain. Plus, we learn from each other, your rules and ideas are good but even better when blended with others knowledge before hand and that cannot be done without riding together a few times.

Most everything else imo is trivial and that is why attitude is most important.

Last edited:
Reactions: win

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simply put just be honest from the get go. Tell the one or ones you attend on riding with what you like to ride & what you capabilities are from what you like to ride - to your equipment, training etc. If your interest and ability are close then go for it. If you Just be straight up from the start you will know before even getting off the phone or speaking with the person if they will fit your style and always trust your gut it's not just your life out there. be safe have fun

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a positive note. Two new riders, (not new to the mountains, but new to us) rode with us once this year. And enjoyed where we go and are riding again with us.
So made new friends. Some chances work out great

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seems an appropriate place to post this. I can vouch for Dan's (lilduke) willingness to let lesser riders tag along with him for a day. I know my buddy and I enjoyed the couple days we spent at Revy riding with him some years back. I can't imagine it was great fun for him but he never let that show. Thanks Dan!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen pretty much both sides of the coin, have met and rode with complete strangers who have become lifelong friends. On the flip side have ended up doubling or having to ride out people's sleds because their alligator mouth bite off way more than their canary ass could ride out!

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to ride with new people some times so you can meet new riders, I've rode with tons of different people over the years so now I always
have someone to ride with that I know.

Couple weeks back I was riding with a couple friends from Revelstoke and there roommate Frenchy wanted to come. I never had rode with him before, but what ever, I didnt have to look after him.
He didnt have a truck and other buddies trucks were full so I put this guys sled on my trailer. Brand new 850.

So we head out to our spot, unload head up the trail a few KM and now its time to head into the trees. Frenchy is like, "I don't tree ride". "well there is no choice besides heading back to the truck, told you this before we left town" . (because there is no trail to the alpine on the mountain we were on, just trees)

So I pin it up, Lyndon follows me and having a good old time dangling up this hill. We get to the top get on the radio where are you guys.? Garret says "Frenchy's in a tree, he cant make it".
So Im like "we'll come down", we come down and now Frenchy figures he can make it, so were "alright lets go back up then". He crashes like 50 times but eventually made it up.
So were pissing around in this old cut block and there is little trees every where and Frenchy is crashing into one and getting stuck as **** every 50 feet.

And this point hes screaming "tabarnack I hate the ****ing trees!" Laughing my ass off now, and not helping him get unstuck cause he just keeps doing it.

Garret is like "this isn't even tree riding" lol

Just left him stuck for an hour while we went and burnt some gas. So now its time to go down, every thing goes pretty smooth on the way down, except a broken T-motion bracket.

Garret tells his roommate, "see why we don't always invite you?" Frenchy is like "tabarnack, what ever"

So time to load up and I start up my truck. it is a push button, but the fob has to be inside the truck to start.

I have TWO doors open, driver side. Frenchy comes along and shuts them both,, trucks locks,,, keys are inside.... And my phone.

"Im like WTF you do that for you ****in idiot!" "tabarnack, I wanted to keep the heat in" "what heat, its been running 30 seconds"

Garret calls a tow truck to come unlock my truck. It was 35km out of town so it cost 130$ Frenchy had 80$ so gave me that, gave him a ride back to town.

Long story short, hes not a bad guy but needs to improve his riding before Id go with him again.
What brand of truck locks the doors as soon as they close? That is wayyy dumb.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seems an appropriate place to post this. I can vouch for Dan's (lilduke) willingness to let lesser riders tag along with him for a day. I know my buddy and I enjoyed the couple days we spent at Revy riding with him some years back. I can't imagine it was great fun for him but he never let that show. Thanks Dan!

No problem man. I think I saw you guys at the big eddy a few weeks back. I would have said hi but it was a hectic time.

Found out one of my best riding friends has a brain tumor, so wasno a good time.

Life is short, make the most of it :beer:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just don't bring frenchy and it's not an issue.
I guess dodge can un lock it by satalite, but didn't know that until after.

Im puzzled as to why the doors locked with the fob in the cab. If my honda keys are in the ignition it will not lock the doors if the engine is idling.
My old 2007 ram would not lock the doors with the key in the ignition either unless yah used another fob.

Good idea not to bring frenchy again, your story made it seem like you are a patient person.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im puzzled as to why the doors locked with the fob in the cab. If my honda keys are in the ignition it will not lock the doors if the engine is idling.
My old 2007 ram would not lock the doors with the key in the ignition either unless yah used another fob.

Good idea not to bring frenchy again, your story made it seem like you are a patient person.

Yes I am a patient person most of the time.

Top Bottom