Tips for dealing with new riding partners

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
..... But having your sh*t together in general is huge for me, screw the guy who needs to swap out skis, or go get oil, or fix whatever they broke last year, while I'm geared up ready to ride up the trail. Get your **** together I'm not out here to sit in a parking lot while you do whatever it is you were too f*ckin lazy to do when you should have.

Great point! When I say 8:30 at a staging area, it is 8:30 and ready to ride at 8:30 (or whatever time has been agreed upon). This is another reason to put people on my "sorry, I'm busy list." Playing the tunes and showing off the trailer, dressing, fixing chit, or sitting socializing in Tim's is not riding. I am there to ride. I have met at Tim's at 9:00 am and didn't leave until 11:00 am and it still took an hour in the staging area to get ready. That was the last with that group.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Great post.

I would also like to add, with the InReach Explorer you can send unlimited free texts (via satellite) between InReach devices and use the embedded GPS locations to navigate to the locations of the other devices.

Nice and thanks for that. I guess one just has to add a contact to the phone and not on web page for the inReach?

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post.

I would also like to add, with the InReach Explorer you can send unlimited free texts (via satellite) between InReach devices and use the embedded GPS locations to navigate to the locations of the other devices.

I always said I'd upgrade from my spot 2 to an Inreach after they get a friend finder feature on them. Guess it sort of already does.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to ride with new people some times so you can meet new riders, I've rode with tons of different people over the years so now I always
have someone to ride with that I know.

Couple weeks back I was riding with a couple friends from Revelstoke and there roommate Frenchy wanted to come. I never had rode with him before, but what ever, I didnt have to look after him.
He didnt have a truck and other buddies trucks were full so I put this guys sled on my trailer. Brand new 850.

So we head out to our spot, unload head up the trail a few KM and now its time to head into the trees. Frenchy is like, "I don't tree ride". "well there is no choice besides heading back to the truck, told you this before we left town" . (because there is no trail to the alpine on the mountain we were on, just trees)

So I pin it up, Lyndon follows me and having a good old time dangling up this hill. We get to the top get on the radio where are you guys.? Garret says "Frenchy's in a tree, he cant make it".
So Im like "we'll come down", we come down and now Frenchy figures he can make it, so were "alright lets go back up then". He crashes like 50 times but eventually made it up.
So were pissing around in this old cut block and there is little trees every where and Frenchy is crashing into one and getting stuck as **** every 50 feet.

And this point hes screaming "tabarnack I hate the ****ing trees!" Laughing my ass off now, and not helping him get unstuck cause he just keeps doing it.

Garret is like "this isn't even tree riding" lol

Just left him stuck for an hour while we went and burnt some gas. So now its time to go down, every thing goes pretty smooth on the way down, except a broken T-motion bracket.

Garret tells his roommate, "see why we don't always invite you?" Frenchy is like "tabarnack, what ever"

So time to load up and I start up my truck. it is a push button, but the fob has to be inside the truck to start.

I have TWO doors open, driver side. Frenchy comes along and shuts them both,, trucks locks,,, keys are inside.... And my phone.

"Im like WTF you do that for you ****in idiot!" "tabarnack, I wanted to keep the heat in" "what heat, its been running 30 seconds"

Garret calls a tow truck to come unlock my truck. It was 35km out of town so it cost 130$ Frenchy had 80$ so gave me that, gave him a ride back to town.

Long story short, hes not a bad guy but needs to improve his riding before Id go with him again.
Lmaooooooooo!!! Dan you are one good dude you know that. I would have kicked his azz off the road and drove off. Especially after the I got only $80.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it when we go riding with people that have an enclosed trailer all nice and warm to dress in sleds all warm l have a deck so we have to get the ramp out start the sleds let warm up I will not unload sleds in my riding gear so unload then put on gear mean while trailer group standing around pissed because we are taking so long I have told people to go and we catch up at the cabin or play area

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I like it when we go riding with people that have an enclosed trailer all nice and warm to dress in sleds all warm l have a deck so we have to get the ramp out start the sleds let warm up I will not unload sleds in my riding gear so unload then put on gear mean while trailer group standing around pissed because we are taking so long I have told people to go and we catch up at the cabin or play area

So if the staging time is 8:30, it should be the understanding that is the time everybody is ready to go. Get there accordingly to be ready to leave at 8:30. Pretty easy in my mind. As mentioned above, some people aren't concerned about other's time and they become inconsiderate by not planning ahead. I know things happen on the highway or wherever and that can be excused once but not on a regular basis. Organization is a great quality to enjoy the mountain experience and it starts in the staging area.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if the staging time is 8:30, it should be the understanding that is the time everybody is ready to go. Get there accordingly to be ready to leave at 8:30. Pretty easy in my mind. As mentioned above, some people aren't concerned about other's time and they become inconsiderate by not planning ahead. I know things happen on the highway or wherever and that can be excused once but not on a regular basis. Organization is a great quality to enjoy the mountain experience and it starts in the staging area.

I’ve always understood parking lot at 8 means be there at 8:00 so by that I’d be late if riding with you.. shoot

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me, its all about communication and clear expectations up front. That's why i usually vet any new riders to our group over a beer some evening before we even go on a trip. This way through conversation you get to find out what their riding experience, history, gear, and approach is all about first. As we all spend the effort & $'s to ride fairly current sleds and maintain them, I'm not overly thrilled about taking on someone who has chosen to ride old worn out stuff that's poorly maintained as its just a liability when we get way back where we go. I also think its important to make sure people know they need to speak up when they are tired or feel the riding is getting too much for them and definitely call for help on the radio when they need it please! I do this for fun and although I often lead the group to areas, I'm not your baby-sitter or paid guide so it has to be a collective effort by all to make sure everyone get's there and back safely. This is where the communication comes in. Admittedly I learned that I need to do a better job going back to help out the strugglers after some very direct & heated feedback from my son - I'll try better going forward... I promise but it's hard to do on a fresh pow day! The best way I've found is just like work to have a quick "tool box" or start of the ride discussion about the ride plan for the day, avy risk, and assign wing-men or sub groups if the group is larger. We do tend to weed out those who are not into our style of riding pretty quickly... this is fine as long as you tell us that it's not your thing and you'd prefer to go ride elsewhere. Otherwise it's like the Marines... "leave no man behind". Because of this and experiences as others have mentioned I do take a much more hard ass approach to who we ride with and who gets invited back as my life can literally depend on who we choose...

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A better way to frame it is "sled and rider ready in all respects, idling at the toll booth at 8:30". It takes equipment, trailer time, sled warm up, lunch packing, what-fawking-ever you need to do out of the equation.

LOL....I've been down this road many a time. ;)

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me, its all about communication and clear expectations up front. That's why i usually vet any new riders to our group over a beer some evening before we even go on a trip. This way through conversation you get to find out what their riding experience, history, gear, and approach is all about first. As we all spend the effort & $'s to ride fairly current sleds and maintain them, I'm not overly thrilled about taking on someone who has chosen to ride old worn out stuff that's poorly maintained as its just a liability when we get way back where we go. I also think its important to make sure people know they need to speak up when they are tired or feel the riding is getting too much for them and definitely call for help on the radio when they need it please! I do this for fun and although I often lead the group to areas, I'm not your baby-sitter or paid guide so it has to be a collective effort by all to make sure everyone get's there and back safely. This is where the communication comes in. Admittedly I learned that I need to do a better job going back to help out the strugglers after some very direct & heated feedback from my son - I'll try better going forward... I promise but it's hard to do on a fresh pow day! The best way I've found is just like work to have a quick "tool box" or start of the ride discussion about the ride plan for the day, avy risk, and assign wing-men or sub groups if the group is larger. We do tend to weed out those who are not into our style of riding pretty quickly... this is fine as long as you tell us that it's not your thing and you'd prefer to go ride elsewhere. Otherwise it's like the Marines... "leave no man behind". Because of this and experiences as others have mentioned I do take a much more hard ass approach to who we ride with and who gets invited back as my life can literally depend on who we choose...

Couldn’t agree more!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I’ve always understood parking lot at 8 means be there at 8:00 so by that I’d be late if riding with you.. shoot

Yes, that is the communication part. It has to be up front initially. Sometimes it is at the staging area at 8:30 and ready to ride at 9:00 but most of the time it is ready to ride at 8:30 period.

I'm a softy and I'd wait. Depending on the events of the day, if that was the only faux-pas, I'd forgive and we would talk about it for the next time. If people are considerate and reliable about time, then it probably translates into riding habits as well. One doesn't usually get a second chance to make a first impression.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technology might come in handy to vet a potential new riding buddy. Get them to send you a screenshot of their GAIA track for an area you know. If their track looks too gnarly or too tame, it might not be a good pairing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess it depends if you are going to be the group " leader "

myself, i always start with a new group and watch very carefully how they attack certain terrain, moving slowly into more complex terrain until i can see their limitations. Watch how they approach avalanche terrain or for that matter if they recognize it at all.

From there you can determine where to ride for the day. Nothing worse than having people out of their comfort zone begging to go home. Everyone wants to have fun so make sure its in terrain they can enjoy. Pushing down a bottomless creek leaving everyone exhausted and angry isn't the best approach. I learned this LOL

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to ride with new people some times so you can meet new riders, I've rode with tons of different people over the years so now I always
have someone to ride with that I know.

Couple weeks back I was riding with a couple friends from Revelstoke and there roommate Frenchy wanted to come. I never had rode with him before, but what ever, I didnt have to look after him.
He didnt have a truck and other buddies trucks were full so I put this guys sled on my trailer. Brand new 850.

So we head out to our spot, unload head up the trail a few KM and now its time to head into the trees. Frenchy is like, "I don't tree ride". "well there is no choice besides heading back to the truck, told you this before we left town" . (because there is no trail to the alpine on the mountain we were on, just trees)

So I pin it up, Lyndon follows me and having a good old time dangling up this hill. We get to the top get on the radio where are you guys.? Garret says "Frenchy's in a tree, he cant make it".
So Im like "we'll come down", we come down and now Frenchy figures he can make it, so were "alright lets go back up then". He crashes like 50 times but eventually made it up.
So were pissing around in this old cut block and there is little trees every where and Frenchy is crashing into one and getting stuck as **** every 50 feet.

And this point hes screaming "tabarnack I hate the ****ing trees!" Laughing my ass off now, and not helping him get unstuck cause he just keeps doing it.

Garret is like "this isn't even tree riding" lol

Just left him stuck for an hour while we went and burnt some gas. So now its time to go down, every thing goes pretty smooth on the way down, except a broken T-motion bracket.

Garret tells his roommate, "see why we don't always invite you?" Frenchy is like "tabarnack, what ever"

So time to load up and I start up my truck. it is a push button, but the fob has to be inside the truck to start.

I have TWO doors open, driver side. Frenchy comes along and shuts them both,, trucks locks,,, keys are inside.... And my phone.

"Im like WTF you do that for you ****in idiot!" "tabarnack, I wanted to keep the heat in" "what heat, its been running 30 seconds"

Garret calls a tow truck to come unlock my truck. It was 35km out of town so it cost 130$ Frenchy had 80$ so gave me that, gave him a ride back to town.

Long story short, hes not a bad guy but needs to improve his riding before Id go with him again.

Sounds like this frenchy i met....new 850 doo, probably same dude, said the same words, i don't do trees hahaha Moe?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lmaooooooooo!!! Dan you are one good dude you know that. I would have kicked his azz off the road and drove off. Especially after the I got only $80.

Yeah broke ass ski bum. Has a new 850,, but is living with 3 guys in a basement suite. That has got to suck, even in revelstoke. Better off working lol

Top Bottom