Tie your sleds down properly

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do people keep telling us to tie down sleds in an enclosed trailer then??

Good question. All these highways tractors with thousands of pounds of freight are just sitting in on pallets.......

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question. All these highways tractors with thousands of pounds of freight are just sitting in on pallets.......
Hey that's funny stuff

When we were in Mexico, seen a low bead with chains, blocks, tires ect just laying on the trailer just floating there

Different world lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They use E-track on the walls and floors and are supposed to secure the pallets inside the trailer. If you work at an offload point and are seeing otherwise then it should be mentioned to the driver.....

If folks are just assuming that cargo inside trailer units is unsecured without seeing it, you are likely mistaken. No one would risk a $100,000 pallet of new curved flatscreen 60" TVs tipping over or risk dumping a pallet of toxic chemicals inside an enclosed space. The walls of pretty well any enclosed trailers are just there to keep cargo out of the elements, or cold if its a reefer, they are not there to contain it in the event of an accident. Even with an enclosed trailer - You are still bound by the same legal obligation to secure your cargo whether its in a commercial or personal vehicle.

Look up NSC Standard 10 for Motor Carriers if you want to know more.

• Thanks
Reactions: PDQ

acsledder

Reaction score
Securement is definitely an issue, However NSC 10 which applies to motor carriers not private vehicles explains that all cargo must be secured for every situation likely to be encountered including emergency maneuvers, SHORT of a CRASH. Once there is a crash the g forces can be so extreme that no tie down system will be 100 effective. However usin a bit of common sense goes long way, any securement system is only as strong as the weakest element... and that often includes the driver

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok , so if super clamps are junk then how do you tie a sled down? My deck doesn't have any good strong point to attach four straps to. I don't consider the flimsy little aluminum sides of my deck to be a secure tie point. I guess I'll have to install a bunch hooks in the deck in the right spots to use chain and boomers. I was really surprised to see the pictures of the snapped super clamps, I though they were the shiznit ......guess not.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They use E-track on the walls and floors and are supposed to secure the pallets inside the trailer. If you work at an offload point and are seeing otherwise then it should be mentioned to the driver.....

If folks are just assuming that cargo inside trailer units is unsecured without seeing it, you are likely mistaken. No one would risk a $100,000 pallet of new curved flatscreen 60" TVs tipping over or risk dumping a pallet of toxic chemicals inside an enclosed space. The walls of pretty well any enclosed trailers are just there to keep cargo out of the elements, or cold if its a reefer, they are not there to contain it in the event of an accident. Even with an enclosed trailer - You are still bound by the same legal obligation to secure your cargo whether its in a commercial or personal vehicle.

Look up NSC Standard 10 for Motor Carriers if you want to know more.

I am fully aware. My brother is the manager at CF. They have bars they use to stop the load from sliding backwards but the pallets themselves are not secured. its impossible to tie down a pallet and its contents.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am fully aware. My brother is the manager at CF. They have bars they use to stop the load from sliding backwards but the pallets themselves are not secured. its impossible to tie down a pallet and its contents.

Think you guys are trying to split hairs, and not really sure what you want or are getting at? Justification for not tying sleds down in an enclosed? Trying to compare oranges to toilet paper? Sure you can't secure a pallet of cereal or kleenex boxes, who cares if they tip over. But if a pallet of strawberries tips over inside of your enclosed trailer, all you've got is jam, compared to a couple of 600 lb projectiles if your sleds aren't tied down......

commercial motor carrier rules aside - enclosed trailer or not, you still have an obligation to secure your load.

Reactions: PDQ

Superclamp

Reaction score
cruising into a riding area in late spring, doing maybe 20kms an hour (Maybe, probably less) when we fell through an ice bridge and came to a stop. Not even going fast, no impact, no damage to truck or anything else and BOTH super clamps snapped like half inch twigs.... I was so disgusted in the strength of both clamps that I refuse to use them again. 4 ratchet tie downs per sled is BARE MINIMUM....
Thats the hole that stopped us, and what both clamps looked like.

Did you have the back ends of your sleds tied down, ? When your back ends gets catapulted, the back end then is a pry bare, Another question why did you not call us? Call me Randall 1-403-650-7630

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Superclamp;2095723[I said:
]Did you have the back ends of your sleds tied down[/I], ? When your back ends gets catapulted, the back end then is a pry bare, Another question why did you not call us? Call me Randall 1-403-650-7630

I asked the question back in post #18...no answer yet. I use super clamps on the front and straps on the rear, even for short trips.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
commercial motor carrier rules aside - enclosed trailer or not, you still have an obligation to secure your load.

To me it comes down to due diligence. You cannot predict g-forces of something at highway speeds and you may never have enough strapping to predict such a event. but if someone sees zero securement and there is a fatality due to improper load securement you may have bigger problems.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart azz or anything but the only way that the back coming up would stress the front superclamp is if there is a fulcrum involved which there is not. With the skis clamped down you could lift the back up until the skis are 90 degrees to the sled( or until the bumper hits the deck,at which point the sled would be straight up and down). NOW I'm not disagreeing about the fact you should tie the back of the sleds down.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've posted this before; logging road with sled on the deck with SuperClamps front and rear (3 point tie-down with no extra straps). The sled never moved.

I believe in Randall's product(s) and they are all top notch; from the HangAlls, to the SuperGlides (they don't end up cracking like some of the competitor's ones), to the SuperClamps and I have first hand experience with them all. I would also like to know why MtnMaster didn't or hasn't contacted Randall.

IMG_0848.jpg

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before; logging road with sled on the deck with SuperClamps front and rear (3 point tie-down with no extra straps). The sled never moved.

I believe in Randall's product(s) and they are all top notch; from the HangAlls, to the SuperGlides (they don't end up cracking like some of the competitor's ones), to the SuperClamps and I have first hand experience with them all. I would also like to know why MtnMaster didn't or hasn't contacted Randall.

View attachment 184623

Couldn't agree more....... there product and customer service can't be beat in my experience....

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart azz or anything but the only way that the back coming up would stress the front superclamp is if there is a fulcrum involved which there is not. With the skis clamped down you could lift the back up until the skis are 90 degrees to the sled( or until the bumper hits the deck,at which point the sled would be straight up and down). NOW I'm not disagreeing about the fact you should tie the back of the sleds down. However I am a bit worried about trusting my super clamp now after seeing them snapped like that....

I have had the back end of my sled 2' in the air off the deck and landed on the edge of the deck before just going down the highway with just a superclamp on.
If you add a twisting motion as the sleds go off the side and in the air, breaking the clamps doesn't seem that tough to do. It doesn't need to be 90 degrees vertical. Even sideways as the steering hits the stops and all that weight twisting on it can break it.

Since I witnessed my sled bouncing and actually bent the back bar on my deck, I now over secure it. I throw a strap right around the skid to the back bar as well as two hooked to and over the skid in a cross to the back bar to tie it back also, not just down. I am confident it is not going anywhere easily.

Probably the worst tie down practice I see regularly is people that use one strap for two sleds on the back and just go right from one side of the deck to the other over the skids. If they aren't tight to each other, when one sled or the other slides inward, the strap becomes loose and useless. Seen it many times coming over rogers pass as that road is rough as hell.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious, but has anyone used or uses the Frankensled trackbar to tie the rear end down? Seems like a useful idea

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good friend driving a 1 ton dully, with a deck and two sleds.....
Deck was anchored with four 1/2" turn buckles to the tie downs in the box.
Sleds were strapped with Rated and labeled 1" 1500lb ratchet straps two per sled.
He was traveling through a green light when he was T-boned by a 1/2 ton truck.
Driver of the 1/2 ton was charged.....

Buddy was also charged with failure to properly secure his load.....
Both sleds came off the truck and one of them impacted a car traveling in the opposite direction, major medical complications arose....

FYI the deck sort of stayed attached, the whole passenger side of the truck was pushed in, the deck looked like it was on top of the car....

Insurance companies fought back and forth for a few years, trying to decide who would pay for what....

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen it said before that you should generally use a strap rated for 3-4 times what the object weighs. I usually use 4 -1200lb rated straps, either pulling out and down at all 4 corners, or if not possible because of the tie down points then the front straps pull back, and the back straps pull forward. Biggest thing I usually notice is guys have all there straps pulling one direction ie: forward against the box or headache rack. If for any reason your sled ever lifts up then you're pooched with them like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Recommends
Reactions: LBZ
Top Bottom