How to import properly, please share your experiences.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about importing sleds from the states.....
It got me thinking about how to import properly.

If you have ever imported before please share,
especially if you had any problems or horror stories.

I don’t want to get into the ethics of importing,
rather just focus on the method.

There is lots of good info on RIV.ca,
even a checklist where you can plug all your info in.

This is how I understand it to work, please correct me if I am wrong.

Step 1: Check for you vehicles admissibility.
-There is a list on the website.
-BRP is a real safe bet since it originated in Quebec, who is almost a part of Canada.

Step 2: Recall Clearance
- you have to get a recall clearance letter and submit it to RIV.
-the letter comes directly from the manufacture.
- I have heard if you call BRP yourself, people have had issues.
-Could this be something the dealer could help with?

"For the recall clearance you can get the dealer to write "This vehicle has no outstanding recalls" on the bill of Sale or something with dealer letterhead. RIV has accepted this document for the recall clearance for me on a car."
maxpower

To facilitate the timely release of your vehicle's RIV inspection form and to avoid any unforeseen delays or additional expenses, we recommend that you obtain your recall clearance documentation and submit it to RIV before you import, as soon as you purchase the vehicle.
Recall clearance documentation can be submitted to RIV by fax (1-888-642-9899), by e-mail (recall@riv.ca) or in person or by mail to an RIV office location.
Recall clearance documentation (usually in the form of a letter) stating that there are no outstanding manufacturer's recalls associated with the vehicle can be obtained from the manufacturer of your vehicle:
Bombardier Recreational Products
565 Rue De La Montagne Rr 3
Valcourt, QC, CA, J0E 2L0

Phone #: 819 566-3366
Fax #: 450 532-5032
Web site address: Bombardier Recreational Products -

Step 3: US Customs
- fax your title, sales receipt and registration to the boarder at least 72 hours before you arrive.
-how do you register your vehicle in Canada while you are buying it in the states?
-how about insurance?

"Insurance wasn't an issue for me I phoned my insurance company (TD Meloche Monnex) told them i bought a car in the USA and they insured over the phone and emailed me the pink card."
maxpower

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States, trailers excluded. You will need to provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts at least 72 hours prior to export.
CBP recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements, procedures for submitting documentation and hours of operation:
Sweetgrass Area Port/Coutts
Interstate 15 N at Canadian border
Sweetgrass, MT, US, 59484

Phone #: 406 335-9610
Hours: Call to confirm

Step 4: Canadian border services agencies.
-this is where you pay your RIV fee, around $225 I have heard.

The CBSA office at the point of entry in to Canada will process the importation of your vehicle.
CBSA will check documentation, provide you with a Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) to be completed at the border, verify vehicle admissibility and facilitate payment of the non-refundable RIV registration fee.
CBSA will also forward the completed Vehicle Inspection Form (Form 1) for your vehicle to RIV.
Please contact CBSA if you have any questions regarding CBSA requirements:
In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English) ; 1-800-959-2036 (French)
Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English) ; (506) 636-5067 (French)
Web Site: Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue à l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada

Step 5: Typical Requirements.

Prior to purchasing your vehicle, please ensure you check Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States to verify the manufacturer's specific requirements.
After you've imported your vehicle, RIV will issue an RIV inspection form, which identifies modification and inspection requirements specific to your vehicle, once the following has occurred:
(1) the Vehicle Inspection Form (Form 1) has been completed and submitted to RIV through CBSA,
(2) the RIV registration fee has been paid, and
(3) RIV has recieved recall clearance documentation confirming that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.
Do not proceed with any modifications to your vehicle until you receive the RIV inspection form.
Includes all regular use and competition snowmobiles as well as snowmobile cutters.

Please reference Transport Canada's web site for vehicle admissibility information for snowmobiles.
For reference, the following is a list of typical modification and inspection requirements:
(including snowmobile cutters and competition snowmobiles)
• Recall clearance letter
• The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) label at the time of import
• Headlights On
• Lighting
• Reflectors
• Kill switch
Visit Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States for additional details.

Step 6: RIV Fee’s
-you may have paid this fee in step 4.

Unless your vehicle is exempt from the RIV process, the following registration fee must be paid to RIV:
$204.75
The RIV registration fee must be paid before an RIV inspection form for your vehicle will be released. You can pay RIV fees at the border, on-line, by mail or in person at an RIV office.

Step 7: RIV inspection.
- aka the Canadian tire walk around.

All required modifications must be completed prior to the RIV inspection.
The RIV inspection must be completed within 45 days (or 1 year for salvage vehicles) of the date of importation.
The inspection centre will provide RIV with inspection results once the RIV inspection is complete.
RIV will issue a Canadian Statement of Compliance (SOC) label for the vehicle once the vehicle has passed inspection.
The following is the location address and phone number for the inspection centre that you selected:
Canadian Tire - Corner Stone Mall
9510 - 86th Ave, Corner Stone Mall
Fort Saskatchewan, AB
T8L 4P4

Phone #: (780) 998-2118
Fax #: (780) 992-0333
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am-5pm
Sat: 8am-5pm
Sun: Closed
Additional notes:
View Map

Step 7: Provincial licensing.

In order to register and license an imported vehicle you need to present your stamped Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, along with the bill of sale, title and proof of insurance as well as any other information or documentation required by the provincial/territorial licensing jurisdiction.
Please contact your provincial licensing jurisdiction for detailed information on how to obtain provincial or territorial licensing:
Alberta
Phone: 780 427-7013 or 310-0000 toll-free within Alberta
Web site: Service Alberta:

Additional Tips:
"you MUST have the actual title document at the border when you arrive and copies (72 hrs or more) sent to them prior to arrival , if you have a COPY , you will not be importing until the document arrives !!"
nursepwdr

"US Border -they need the title, bill of sale and drivers license faxed to them 72hrs in advance.
maxpower

"Also the vehicle has to paid for in full before it can cross the border, no payment plans."
maxpower

"Just remember that some of the smaller border crosssings are not as busy and ususally easier to cross than Coutts/Sweetgrass. I came across at KingsGate, total crossong time less that 30 minutes, including both borders and Canadian money collection."
Uturn

Last edited:

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all about timing with the process , you do it the way they want , and you'll be fine !!
Specifically , you MUST have the actual title document at the border when you arrive and copies (72 hrs or more) sent to them prior to arrival , if you have a COPY , you will not be importing until the document arrives !! That's the biggest thing .....

Last edited:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
did anyone ever mport something from overseas like europe ?

im still thinking about bringing my cars over from germany but am afraid a little that borderfees and taxes will be extremely high

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did anyone ever mport something from overseas like europe ?

im still thinking about bringing my cars over from germany but am afraid a little that borderfees and taxes will be extremely high

My brother was bringing in japanese cars for a while, but has recently stopped due to lack of demand. Not sure if its the same for German cars but if you want Im sure I can find out for you

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
would be nice if u could find out some info and pricing both cars would fit in a 40foot ship container and are my cars so dont have to buy them first

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would be nice if u could find out some info and pricing both cars would fit in a 40foot ship container and are my cars so dont have to buy them first

I have a friend here in Calgary that shipped his benz over from Germany it landed in Halifax and he drove it out from there .I can get his number for you if you want.

maxpower

Reaction score
With all this talk about importing sleds from the states.....
It got me thinking about how to import properly.

If you have ever imported before please share,
especially if you had any problems or horror stories.

I don’t want to get into the ethics of importing,
rather just focus on the method.

There is lots of good info on RIV.ca,
even a checklist where you can plug all your info in.

This is how I understand it to work, please correct me if I am wrong.

Step 1: Check for you vehicles admissibility.
-There is a list on the website.
-BRP is a real safe bet since it originated in Quebec, who is almost a part of Canada.

Step 2: Recall Clearance
- you have to get a recall clearance letter and submit it to RIV.
-the letter comes directly from the manufacture.
- I have heard if you call BRP yourself, people have had issues.
-Could this be something the dealer could help with?

To facilitate the timely release of your vehicle's RIV inspection form and to avoid any unforeseen delays or additional expenses, we recommend that you obtain your recall clearance documentation and submit it to RIV before you import, as soon as you purchase the vehicle.
Recall clearance documentation can be submitted to RIV by fax (1-888-642-9899), by e-mail (recall@riv.ca) or in person or by mail to an RIV office location.
Recall clearance documentation (usually in the form of a letter) stating that there are no outstanding manufacturer's recalls associated with the vehicle can be obtained from the manufacturer of your vehicle:
Bombardier Recreational Products
565 Rue De La Montagne Rr 3
Valcourt, QC, CA, J0E 2L0

Phone #: 819 566-3366
Fax #: 450 532-5032
Web site address: Bombardier Recreational Products -

Step 3: US Customs
- fax your title, sales receipt and registration to the boarder at least 72 hours before you arrive.
-how do you register your vehicle in Canada while you are buying it in the states?
-how about insurance?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States, trailers excluded. You will need to provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts at least 72 hours prior to export.
CBP recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements, procedures for submitting documentation and hours of operation:
Sweetgrass Area Port/Coutts
Interstate 15 N at Canadian border
Sweetgrass, MT, US, 59484

Phone #: 406 335-9610
Hours: Call to confirm

Step 4: Canadian border services agencies.
-this is where you pay your RIV fee, around $225 I have heard.

The CBSA office at the point of entry in to Canada will process the importation of your vehicle.
CBSA will check documentation, provide you with a Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) to be completed at the border, verify vehicle admissibility and facilitate payment of the non-refundable RIV registration fee.
CBSA will also forward the completed Vehicle Inspection Form (Form 1) for your vehicle to RIV.
Please contact CBSA if you have any questions regarding CBSA requirements:
In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English) ; 1-800-959-2036 (French)
Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English) ; (506) 636-5067 (French)
Web Site: Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue à l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada

Step 5: Typical Requirements.

Prior to purchasing your vehicle, please ensure you check Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States to verify the manufacturer's specific requirements.
After you've imported your vehicle, RIV will issue an RIV inspection form, which identifies modification and inspection requirements specific to your vehicle, once the following has occurred:
(1) the Vehicle Inspection Form (Form 1) has been completed and submitted to RIV through CBSA,
(2) the RIV registration fee has been paid, and
(3) RIV has recieved recall clearance documentation confirming that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.
Do not proceed with any modifications to your vehicle until you receive the RIV inspection form.
Includes all regular use and competition snowmobiles as well as snowmobile cutters.

Please reference Transport Canada's web site for vehicle admissibility information for snowmobiles.
For reference, the following is a list of typical modification and inspection requirements:
(including snowmobile cutters and competition snowmobiles)
• Recall clearance letter
• The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) label at the time of import
• Headlights On
• Lighting
• Reflectors
• Kill switch
Visit Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States for additional details.

Step 6: RIV Fee’s
-you may have paid this fee in step 4.

Unless your vehicle is exempt from the RIV process, the following registration fee must be paid to RIV:
$204.75
The RIV registration fee must be paid before an RIV inspection form for your vehicle will be released. You can pay RIV fees at the border, on-line, by mail or in person at an RIV office.

Step 7: RIV inspection.
- aka the Canadian tire walk around.

All required modifications must be completed prior to the RIV inspection.
The RIV inspection must be completed within 45 days (or 1 year for salvage vehicles) of the date of importation.
The inspection centre will provide RIV with inspection results once the RIV inspection is complete.
RIV will issue a Canadian Statement of Compliance (SOC) label for the vehicle once the vehicle has passed inspection.
The following is the location address and phone number for the inspection centre that you selected:
Canadian Tire - Corner Stone Mall
9510 - 86th Ave, Corner Stone Mall
Fort Saskatchewan, AB
T8L 4P4

Phone #: (780) 998-2118
Fax #: (780) 992-0333
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am-5pm
Sat: 8am-5pm
Sun: Closed
Additional notes:
View Map

Step 7: Provincial licensing.

In order to register and license an imported vehicle you need to present your stamped Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, along with the bill of sale, title and proof of insurance as well as any other information or documentation required by the provincial/territorial licensing jurisdiction.
Please contact your provincial licensing jurisdiction for detailed information on how to obtain provincial or territorial licensing:
Alberta
Phone: 780 427-7013 or 310-0000 toll-free within Alberta
Web site: Service Alberta:

It's all about timing with the process , you do it the way they want , and you'll be fine !!
Specifically , you MUST have the actual title document at the border when you arrive and copies (72 hrs or more) sent to them prior to arrival , if you have a COPY , you will not be importing until the document arrives !! That's the biggest thing .....

For the recall clearance you can get the dealer to write "This vehicle has no outstanding recalls" on the bill of Sale or something with dealer letterhead. RIV has accepted this document for the recall clearance for me on a car.

Insurance wasn't an issue for me I phoned my insurance company (TD Meloche Monnex) told them i bought a car in the USA and they insured over the phone and emailed me the pink card.

US Border -they need the title, bill of sale and drivers license faxed to them 72hrs in advance.

Also the vehicle has to paid for in full before it can cross the border, no payment plans.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just reconfirmed today that you can’t buy brand new BRP stock from the states. Called down to Rexburg Motorsports in Idaho about their ad for a 2011 Summit SP for $8500 and a 2010 Everest for $7800 and was told that they wouldn’t sell new stock to us Canucks! Apparently they have signed an agreement not to do so with BRP. So much for free trade…..:flagca:

Anyone have a workaround...short of having access to an American address?
:feedback:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We have stock shipped all the time within the US and drive down to Sweet Grass every month and pick it up. We do our own brokering. The first time it was a bit nerve racking we got the full meal deal search. Since then they have gotten to know us a bit and have had no issues what so ever. I have an address in Sweet Grass Skegpro if you need it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have stock shipped all the time within the US and drive down to Sweet Grass every month and pick it up. We do our own brokering. The first time it was a bit nerve racking we got the full meal deal search. Since then they have gotten to know us a bit and have had no issues what so ever. I have an address in Sweet Grass Skegpro if you need it.

Thanks! PM to follow.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Just reconfirmed today that you can’t buy brand new BRP stock from the states. Called down to Rexburg Motorsports in Idaho about their ad for a 2011 Summit SP for $8500 and a 2010 Everest for $7800 and was told that they wouldn’t sell new stock to us Canucks! Apparently they have signed an agreement not to do so with BRP. So much for free trade…..:flagca:

Anyone have a workaround...short of having access to an American address?
:feedback:

Drive there and they change their tune real fast...Idaho Falls anyway :d

Have had great luck in Kalispell also...

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drive there and they change their tune real fast...Idaho Falls anyway :d

Have had great luck in Kalispell also...

Yeah, I'm sure they would be pretty willing to sell with a big old bag o' cash sitting on their desk.

The only worry is driving 1200km and getting shutdown.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember that some of the smaller border crosssings are not as busy and ususally easier to cross than Coutts/Sweetgrass. I came across at KingsGate, total crossong time less that 30 minutes, including both borders and Canadian money collection.

TimG

Reaction score
Before you buy, be sure that the sled has the serial # on the tunnel. This can prove to be a real hangup- they turned me away for this reason last year. That pretty much nixes buying a sled with an aftermarket tunnel. In my case, the dealer had replaced the original tunnel with another stock one, but of course it had no serial #. I asked them to re-engrave it, and they did- with a pen! Not very factory looking. I managed to bring it across a week later with a letter from the dealer stating they did the work, and on which day, but I was more or less lucky- by the letter of the law, I shouldn't have been allowed to import it.

Also, if the SSCC decal is missing, a letter of compliance is needed. I don't know about other crossings, but Coutts was real sticky about this. It had to be on a Polaris letterhead. This drove me crazy for a while, until I realized I had it in my hand all along- in the case of Polaris, the recall clearance letter doubles as the letter of compliance.

I've heard bad stories about Ski-Don't and their policy with recall clearance letters- being charged $600, not being able to get it for days, and so on, but with Polaris, it's super easy. Any dealer can print it off and e-mail it to you- even dealers here at home. And you don't have to own it first, you can be looking at 10 different sleds, give your dealer all the serial #s, and have the letters in your hand in a few minutes.

Also, customs likes to see a copy of the ad, so they can verify that the price you paid is close to it- people like to cheat for GST purposes. And they also want to see a copy of the bank draft or whatever you used for payment. This can be problematic, because it seems like Americans don't like drafts (cashier's cheques) and really want cash. But I guess a copy of the bank withdrawl slip is better than nothing.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought and brokered in a Cat Prowler from Valdosta Georgia...had all my papers in order and had I not got to BS'ing with the guy who I had bring it to the crossing...I would have been in and outta there in under 30 minutes. I had the original bill of sale ...all documents sent a week prior to the crossing...my original bank draft...everything. Truck was spotless...never even had a camera...went slick. The only thing is ...is that they charged me GST on book value and not that of my bill of sale cause they said it was too cheap...I was gonna argue the fact as I had the original listing...bill of sale...faxed bill of conditional sales agreement in order for me to do lein search etc. and they still charged me book value. The border dude said that if I wanted to contest it to do so...pull over and unload in the compound and come back in a month and more an likely end up paying that anyway along with storage...they got ya by the nuts if they want to be that way so have everything in order...no junk in your tow vehicle...I never even had my camera along...and be polite....if you try and scam them...they will bust your ass! do it right ...by the book and you can save allot of money...as for sledders wanting brand new....if you have an American friend...there are ways to do it! Usually going into a dealership with someone who is from the US and they will just sell it to you anyway!

Last edited:

kootenay1025

Reaction score
I been trying for a week to track down a s.o.c label...no one would tell me how to obtain it. The local riv inspector (canadain tire counter person).was all over this when i ask him about this....So for polaris it is the recall letter doubles as a soc label....hope this works...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished doing up the paperwork and inspection on a CanAm quad. I got a "service history" sheet from a BRP dealership in Montana, and RIV accepted it in lieu of a recall letter, never cost me a dime...BRP wanted $350 for a recall letter.

TimG

Reaction score
I been trying for a week to track down a s.o.c label...no one would tell me how to obtain it. The local riv inspector (canadain tire counter person).was all over this when i ask him about this....So for polaris it is the recall letter doubles as a soc label....hope this works...

Yeah, near the bottom of the Polaris recall letter, it states: "This letter serves as verification that the stated vehicle meets all applicable United States federal regulations for safety and emissions in effect on the date of manufacture." If you look on the RIV's website, that's exactly what they want the letter of compliance to say in lieu of the SSCC decal.

kootenay1025

Reaction score
ok so I called riv and fax them my polaris recall/ s.o.c. labell...they said no it didn"t meet the requirements....did you get your letter from a canadain polaris dealer or from the states?

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have got the recall letter from the dealer that the sled was sold in the States. This is were you need and American friend. He/She buys the sled and regesters it and then sells to you as used. One way around the no new sales thing. Have to do the math to make sure it is worth the hassles. We have brought sleds and boats back numerous times. We have never had any trouble at Sweetgrass at all. Like one post said, 30 minutes or so. Don't try to cheat on the tax. It gets real expensive quick. (So I was told)

Top Bottom