Thinking About Upgrading to Full Size Half Ton...Best Bang for The Buck?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new fords are sweet just bought one two months ago already have 12000 km on it and i love it gets good fuel milage and the big 130 liter tank or what ever it is is wicked... i downsized from a duramax and never thought i would like it but so for its doing the job... i priced out 3m rock guard for the front of my truck and it was over $500 is that normal???

Mine came to $300. That sounds a bit high.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then you won't like mine... :p

View attachment 113945

Honestly that's bareable my Dodge probably had twice as much chrome and it was just disgusting. Your truck still looks great, thankfully its the pearl white so it helps "offset" the chrome a bit. if it were like red or black it would stand out a bit too much. I've just always liked the sportier look of painted bumpers, grills, mirrors, door handles, etc and I also prefer the powder coated wheels or whatever they are...aluminum, alloy? I dont know but not chrome. I love that about my Tacoma. Not one single spec of chrome and thats the way the new truck must be as well. If there's chrome they must take it off, all of it. haha.. wow am I picky or what?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up my ecoboost about a month ago. Love it. Got the white fx4 so there isn't one piece of chrom on it and now I can black it out. The power of the ecoboost is pretty good. way better then the old 5.4l. The fuel milege is pretty descent expecially for only having 1500 km on it. Around town I average 20l/100km. Thats alot of stop and go driving. I hear there are pretty good gains to get out of the ecoboost if you let the turbos breath. I got the full fx4 luxury package with tow mirrors.

Relic

Reaction score
Got the wife a SHO 2years ago and have not had any trouble in 47000km.Fuel milage is great if you can drive it under 140k. Also got 2 f150 with the ecoboost and they have been great,they are used to run parts out and make about 20mpg running arount.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 91 dodge dakota sport 4x4. Its standard to i can haul stuff and it has bigger leaf springs and 6 ply's so i can put lots of weight on her. REALLY cheap on insurance and gas

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Tacoma is pretty cheap on insurance and gas too, I pay 900/year for insurance (Thanks to ATCO) and it gets roughly 500km to a tank and about $65 to fill. But we need/want a big truck, something with an enormous cab for our two dogs and anything else we want to put in teh back seat, and enough box space for two dirtbikes, folding ramps, gear, suitcases, coolers, etc etc etc and eventually to tow a trailer when we find one we like.. but we also want somethign that's economical and practical and it seems the ecoboost is kickin butt in all these factors. We've ran into a slight problem now that I went and got us another puppy. There just isn't a ton of backseat space for two dogs and sometimes when we do camping trips or road trips and other people want to catch a ride with us its tough now with two dogs they take up the entire back seat especially our new pup he's going to be bigger lol. So that said.. we need a fairly large truck.. Tacomas/Dakotas just don't cut it. And I can't even imagine what will happen if and when we do decide to have children in the future.. I mean, with ME driving and the seat as close to the steering wheel as I can possibly get, in the Ford Supercrew there would be enough space in teh back seat for both my dogs on the floor of the back seat and passengers sitting in the back seat..its enormous. LOVE it.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up my ecoboost about a month ago. Love it. Got the white fx4 so there isn't one piece of chrom on it and now I can black it out. The power of the ecoboost is pretty good. way better then the old 5.4l. The fuel milege is pretty descent expecially for only having 1500 km on it. Around town I average 20l/100km. Thats alot of stop and go driving. I hear there are pretty good gains to get out of the ecoboost if you let the turbos breath. I got the full fx4 luxury package with tow mirrors.

20L, wow, thats alot, my gm is at 15l/100 city, used to be around 12 until I lifted it with bigger tires.
QUOTE]

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear the Ecoboosts get even better once the motor breaks in fully. How big of a tank do these bad boys have?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you sound like my wife seat all the way forward pedals all the way back. you could put a 7ft guy in the back seat and he wouldn't be able to touch it when he was sitting on the seat. lol
not sure on the new ones but with my 09 5.4 i get 8-900km a tank and costs about 120 bucks or so, a little less km when hauling 2 sleds on the deck and 2 on atrailer but still over 700 a tank.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear the Ecoboosts get even better once the motor breaks in fully. How big of a tank do these bad boys have?

The only downfall of mine is that the tank is only 90L in the 2011. Sucks for towing. 2012 will have a 130L tank.

Vets07

Reaction score
ya i gota agree with the new fords for 1/2 tons

i havent owned a new dodge but had an 07 new style ltz 1/2 ton and just a couple months ago bought a 2011 5.0L f-150 for the misses so far with just under 20,000km on it its overall better then the chev if its as trouble free as my chev was it will be a great truck
Pros of the ford: huge cab, huge gas tank (around 1000km per tank), holds more engine oil (longer between changes), SYNC, gas milage is 13L/100km and is about 70/30 highway city
Pros of chev: Comfy seat, Displacement on demand, nice body lines, 120,000km and only standard maint (oil change)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I started doing some more research to find out some cons of the ecoboost, the small tank is definitely a down side, now I'm curious to know what kind of RPMs they run at when your towing? This sort of concerns me as well, I would think they would rev high but I mean their HP vs Torque seems quite comparable to a V8 but Just curious....

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out this website carcostcanada.com I used it to buy my 2011 ram at 4% over dealer cost.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I started doing some more research to find out some cons of the ecoboost, the small tank is definitely a down side, now I'm curious to know what kind of RPMs they run at when your towing? This sort of concerns me as well, I would think they would rev high but I mean their HP vs Torque seems quite comparable to a V8 but Just curious....
I drove a new ecoboost and loved it. The only reason I didnt buy it is,would you buy a used twin turbo with 100,000 km on it.I know I wouldent. I will be interested in how they are for resale. Love my 2011 Ram. By far the best bang for your buck.And thats coming from a lifelong GM guy.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove a new ecoboost and loved it. The only reason I didnt buy it is,would you buy a used twin turbo with 100,000 km on it.I know I wouldent. I will be interested in how they are for resale. Love my 2011 Ram. By far the best bang for your buck.And thats coming from a lifelong GM guy.

yeah but Chrysler finance rates right now are %6 and there is no way I'm paying that kind of interest rate. That's what stopping us from going with a Ram, also the fact you can't get a 6ft box with the crew cab. With The Ford we can get a 6.5 ft box with the supercrew, and were def at that point where we sorta need both the large cab and longer box. Ford fits the bill so far for everythign we need/want that way. Plus better finance rates.

I just dont know about the ecoboost anymore, I think it has its drawbacks for sure but I'm sure the v8 does as well but ohwell.. we will see..

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah but Chrysler finance rates right now are %6 and there is no way I'm paying that kind of interest rate. That's what stopping us from going with a Ram, also the fact you can't get a 6ft box with the crew cab. With The Ford we can get a 6.5 ft box with the supercrew, and were def at that point where we sorta need both the large cab and longer box. Ford fits the bill so far for everythign we need/want that way. Plus better finance rates.

I just dont know about the ecoboost anymore, I think it has its drawbacks for sure but I'm sure the v8 does as well but ohwell.. we will see..

My folks have got an 09 F150 with the 5.4L Triton, they now pull a 31.5 foot trailer and are still making 16mpg so long as they keep their foot out of it.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a quick thought.. how long are head gaskets going to last on the Eco boost?
Not saying they won't last, but just wondering.

sent from a phone

van isle

Reaction score
I drove a new ecoboost and loved it. The only reason I didnt buy it is,would you buy a used twin turbo with 100,000 km on it.I know I wouldent. I will be interested in how they are for resale.

I could not agree more And people are getting better far deals for the 5.0L equipped models F150 to begin with. plus from what i've read the 5.0L is getting damb near the same mileage and it is still has more power the the old 5.4L.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only thing I have hauled is my 850 in the back. On the highway at 130 the rpm's were ar 2000. was getting 18L/100km. truck only had 300km on it. ecoboosts get better as they break in.

Top Bottom