Thinking About Upgrading to Full Size Half Ton...Best Bang for The Buck?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oohhh the Ford Ecoboost.. Yes, this truck definitely sounds attractive, however.. the pricing on it right now isn't so attractive... again, if I wait it out..might find a good deal on a low mileage used one (depending on bank finance rates). Wonder if its worth the wait? I've seen another thread on here about the Ecoboost... basically, i've heard great things so far, but what are its flaws??? Would love to hear more Ecoboost feedback..

I have 5000 km on my 2011 F150 Eco and I absolutely love it. It's an absolute rocket and pulls my 27 foot enclosed just as well as my old F350 did. My truck has the max tow package with 3.73 axles and is rated to tow 11,200 lbs (more than enough for me and definitely consider it a heavy half). My average city/mix mileage is 15.1 L/100KM. I'd get better if it wasn't so much fun to stomp on it (I'm having trouble with that). I haven't done any extended highway trips yet but I think around 10-11 will be possible with the axles I have and if I behave myself. I can get you in contact with a fleet salesman at Sherwood Ford if you would like to avoid all the retail salesmen sleaze. I got mine for 13K off during the family pricing and it was a factory order. I'm not sure what the incentives are now, but you can only order 2012's. For a 2011 you will have to find something on the lot.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think one of the owners of this "GoAuto" is the same family that owns Sherwood Toyota, and several other dealerships, does anyone know if the last name Priestner rings a bell? Becuase the guy I bought my Toyota from is a friend of ours, and his family owns Sherwood Toyota (Priestners) but I could have sworn he said his family owned GoAuto as well. They might very well be an upper hand for me to deal with again. Not sure though.

I'm definitely not against trying a Ford, but their pricing just seems a lot crappier compared to Dodge right now and the only way I'm going to upgrade is if its not going to cost me a whole lot more then what I'm paying now, and that seems pretty unrealistic with Ford. Dodge has an upper hand with overall pricing for us, considering my discount. But I know Ford is definitely worth a look, and who knows, the right dealer might be willing to compete with Dodge pricing. Most Fords I've looked at that I would want are still over the 40K mark, which is too much, unfortunately. I think I can get a fully loaded Ram for 35K or even less with down payment/discount.

I'm not sure how much worth this has when it comes to dealerships, but I saw that Southtown Chrysler has the Better Business Bureau rating....does this count for anything really? Basically just going to go peruse a few lots to see who has a truck I want, and a reasonable price and go from there.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 5000 km on my 2011 F150 Eco and I absolutely love it. It's an absolute rocket and pulls my 27 foot enclosed just as well as my old F350 did. My truck has the max tow package with 3.73 axles and is rated to tow 11,200 lbs (more than enough for me and definitely consider it a heavy half). My average city/mix mileage is 15.1 L/100KM. I'd get better if it wasn't so much fun to stomp on it (I'm having trouble with that). I haven't done any extended highway trips yet but I think around 10-11 will be possible with the axles I have and if I behave myself. I can get you in contact with a fleet salesman at Sherwood Ford if you would like to avoid all the retail salesmen sleaze. I got mine for 13K off during the family pricing and it was a factory order. I'm not sure what the incentives are now, but you can only order 2012's. For a 2011 you will have to find something on the lot.

I would definitely take up your offer on your contact. If its someone you had a pleasant experience with its worth a shot, and I live in Sherwood Park so atleast its not a long drive to go check them out. Do you mind me asking what you paid for your Ford? Ball park estimate is fine..

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think one of the owners of this "GoAuto" is the same family that owns Sherwood Toyota, and several other dealerships, does anyone know if the last name Priestner rings a bell? Becuase the guy I bought my Toyota from is a friend of ours, and his family owns Sherwood Toyota (Priestners) but I could have sworn he said his family owned GoAuto as well. They might very well be an upper hand for me to deal with again. Not sure though.

I'm definitely not against trying a Ford, but their pricing just seems a lot crappier compared to Dodge right now and the only way I'm going to upgrade is if its not going to cost me a whole lot more then what I'm paying now, and that seems pretty unrealistic with Ford. Dodge has an upper hand with overall pricing for us, considering my discount. But I know Ford is definitely worth a look, and who knows, the right dealer might be willing to compete with Dodge pricing. Most Fords I've looked at that I would want are still over the 40K mark, which is too much, unfortunately. I think I can get a fully loaded Ram for 35K or even less with down payment/discount.

I'm not sure how much worth this has when it comes to dealerships, but I saw that Southtown Chrysler has the Better Business Bureau rating....does this count for anything really? Basically just going to go peruse a few lots to see who has a truck I want, and a reasonable price and go from there.

fyi when i bought mine out of Zender was a loaded lariet edition, leather, upgraded sound, nav back up cam, kicks azz btw you look like you can really drive when you one shot your ball at an angle on the big group camping weekends, remote start running boards, window shades, heated/cooled seats, tow package, and some offroad suspens package, sprayed in liner and folding tonneau cover, had 6000k on it was the owners truck, got financed as new and paid 36500 window price without extras was 57400 just sayin.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fyi when i bought mine out of Zender was a loaded lariet edition, leather, upgraded sound, nav back up cam, kicks azz btw you look like you can really drive when you one shot your ball at an angle on the big group camping weekends, remote start running boards, window shades, heated/cooled seats, tow package, and some offroad suspens package, sprayed in liner and folding tonneau cover, had 6000k on it was the owners truck, got financed as new and paid 36500 window price without extras was 57400 just sayin.

Umm.. I dont think that was me LOL.

Haha pretty much same deal I got with my Toyota. Was owners demo, had 6000km on it. Was listed for 40, and I got it with new finance rate for 36K. The fact you got a way more pimpin truck same year, same km, for the same price I paid for my 09' Tacoma is a kick in the pants. Guess what though?Two years later My Tacoma is still worth almost 35K, you can't beat Toyota resale value LOL. I might only get 30K for it but I'm still making money on it. Where is Zender Ford?

Totally off-topic question, but I figured I'd ask here first before starting a new thread. Does anyone know where I can find Toyota parts cheap? I need to replace a seatbelt in my truck, apparently my puppy thought it was a tasty snack, but its actually an expensive one. Toyota quoted me about $450 parts/labor to replace a friggin seat belt. Not even sure its worth it, I could probably sell as is. Its not completely severed, but its frayed and severed in half. Probably not safe. Probably doesn't serve its safety purpose at all and I should probably get it fixed before I try to sell it that way lol.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm.. I dont think that was me LOL.

Haha pretty much same deal I got with my Toyota. Was owners demo, had 6000km on it. Was listed for 40, and I got it with new finance rate for 36K. The fact you got a way more pimpin truck same year, same km, for the same price I paid for my 09' Tacoma is a kick in the pants. Guess what though?Two years later My Tacoma is still worth almost 35K, you can't beat Toyota resale value LOL. I might only get 30K for it but I'm still making money on it. Where is Zender Ford?

Totally off-topic question, but I figured I'd ask here first before starting a new thread. Does anyone know where I can find Toyota parts cheap? I need to replace a seatbelt in my truck, apparently my puppy thought it was a tasty snack, but its actually an expensive one. Toyota quoted me about $450 parts/labor to replace a friggin seat belt. Not even sure its worth it, I could probably sell as is. Its not completely severed, but its frayed and severed in half. Probably not safe. Probably doesn't serve its safety purpose at all and I should probably get it fixed before I try to sell it that way lol.

Zender is located in Spruce Grove. how manty k on the yota? with 100k on the 09 fords they are sitting on the lot for 30-35. not bad imo but a real kick in the nards if you paid window price.
wifey got decent deal on her focus there as well 2010,16'000km on it ses model loaded to the sky for 14,500.
good luck tell them you want to talk to Harry if you go check it out.
not sure on your seatbelt issue but seeing it is a safety issue might be hard to sell like it is. 500 bucks is cheap for a belt. sounds bad but they are crazy expensive because they are safety equipment.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely take up your offer on your contact. If its someone you had a pleasant experience with its worth a shot, and I live in Sherwood Park so atleast its not a long drive to go check them out. Do you mind me asking what you paid for your Ford? Ball park estimate is fine..

I sent you a PM

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zender is located in Spruce Grove. how manty k on the yota? with 100k on the 09 fords they are sitting on the lot for 30-35. not bad imo but a real kick in the nards if you paid window price.
wifey got decent deal on her focus there as well 2010,16'000km on it ses model loaded to the sky for 14,500.
good luck tell them you want to talk to Harry if you go check it out.
not sure on your seatbelt issue but seeing it is a safety issue might be hard to sell like it is. 500 bucks is cheap for a belt. sounds bad but they are crazy expensive because they are safety equipment.

I have 58,000 KM on my Tacoma currently (it had 6,000 when I bought it). Yikes, I definitely can't justify paying 35K for something that already has 100,000 KM. But that's just me. I definitely did not pay window price for my Tacoma, it was listed for 40K when it was already a year old and I got it for 36K. There is only one identical to mine on Kijiji in the Edmonton area right now, with slightly lower Kms but a few less extras compared to mine ( I have hood deflector, running boards, tri-folding tonneau cover, and its listed for $33,000. Mine is also that really rare color you never see in Tacomas, the cherry red. I've seen a few but not many and apparently they are harder to come by. I find mine to be more appealing than that flashy electric blue you see everywhere. If I buck up and get the seatbelt fixed I don't think it would be unrealistic to list my truck for $34K, and hope to get no less than $30K. I'd be happy with 30K means I still make $5,000 or so off it.

Ughh stupid seatbelt is really a pain in the butt. I dont want to cough up the 500 bucks but you're right its probably going to make a huge difference trying to sell it. Atleast I get all the scratches and polishing and thorough interior cleaning from BMW for absolutely free, bonus!

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where you got the idea that your tacoma is worth 35K from but black book on that truck is closer to 28-29K imho.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where you got the idea that your tacoma is worth 35K from but black book on that truck is closer to 28-29K imho.

Yes obviously the blackbook worth is much lower, and I dont necessarily think its "worth" 35K, I'm just using that figure based on what they are listed for used right now on todays market. I don't think its unreasonable to think I could get 30-33K for it. If dealerships are selling 2009 Tacomas for 33-35K I would atleast think 30K private deal is reasonable. I'd list it for about 34, and go from there. Either way, the point is, the truck holds its value well and I have the potential to make some money off it, considering what I could potentially get for it, vs what I owe on it. That's all i'm sayin.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

black book means sweet f/a.
a vehicle is worth whatever someone will pay for it. toyota generally stay a couple thousand higher than domestics but that being said apples to apples options compared side to side the toyota is going to cost you 10k+ more than the domestic unit.
imo no benifit to buying imported, not that toyota is anymore, but you pay now or pay later either way i think it all works out pretty even at the end of the day.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is very true. Something is only worth what somone is willing to pay for it. Same goes for toys, houses, etc. The house we bought recently was listed for $420K..we paid $362K for it. Enough said LOL. That being said though maybe I won't get 30K for it, but I definitely don't think its out of the question. I'm not desperate to sell it either.

Yeah you could humm and haww all day about domestic vs. import until the cows come home, they definitely are good, high quality, reliable vehicles, and you do get what you pay for, but they are overpriced. And parts? Pfff.. whole other story there. Going to cost me $450 bucks just to replace a friggin seat belt.. although, thats the only thing I've had to replace on it so far. The truck has had absolutely no mechanical issues in 58,000KM so far. You still see 4-runners and Tacomas on the roads these days with 300,000 + Km and they still run like a dream. Ohwell, its personal preference really... I only bought the Tacoma cuz I got a good deal on it at the time, and I knew if I wanted to upgrade down the road atleast its going to hold its value and put me in the position where I'm at now where I could potentially sell and make a fair amount off it. Who knows though?

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$420k down to $362k....wow you did well, theres no way Id drop that low in difference on my house lol. Some folk just NEED out I spose....

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$420k down to $362k....wow you did well, theres no way Id drop that low in difference on my house lol. Some folk just NEED out I spose....

LOL pretty sure it was a divorce situation actually, it was a very messy house buying experience. Highly unorganized. They didn't even cancel any of the bills and we've gotten free power/heat for the last 3 or so months LOL.. the chitty thing about that was they weren't actually paying the bills, and the power companies were sending them all the notices to wherever they live now and of course they were ignoring it so they just came and cut off our gas one day with no warning.. that sucked LOL. We were wondering why the fawk we didn't get any power bills in the mail. This is the first actual 'house' we've bought on our own just so you know.. we own a few condos which is slightly different..so we had no idea what to do as far as getting everythign switched in our name.. but regardless, we're off the hook for the last 3.5 months of bills. YAY!

Haha yeah but either way, their loss..our win.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL pretty sure it was a divorce situation actually, it was a very messy house buying experience. Highly unorganized. They didn't even cancel any of the bills and we've gotten free power/heat for the last 3 or so months LOL.. the chitty thing about that was they weren't actually paying the bills, and the power companies were sending them all the notices to wherever they live now and of course they were ignoring it so they just came and cut off our gas one day with no warning.. that sucked LOL. We were wondering why the fawk we didn't get any power bills in the mail. This is the first actual 'house' we've bought on our own just so you know.. we own a few condos which is slightly different..so we had no idea what to do as far as getting everythign switched in our name.. but regardless, we're off the hook for the last 3.5 months of bills. YAY!

Haha yeah but either way, their loss..our win.

I was kinda hinting towards the D word too lol!!!!! No I think thats absolutely awesome for you guys. Cuz in the end we are paying WAY TOOOOO much for these FKN houses any ways IMHO :)

Grats, I love success stories like yours :)

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that is what the dealers are asking for a clean Tacoma with low miles but to me that is too close to new to justify buying used rather than new. Too bad you can't search for trucks based on the owners marital status. lol Could be some deals to be had there too!!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that is what the dealers are asking for a clean Tacoma with low miles but to me that is too close to new to justify buying used rather than new. Too bad you can't search for trucks based on the owners marital status. lol Could be some deals to be had there too!!

HAHAHAAA true dat!!!! or anything else for that matter!

......I live in one of the "newer areas" here in SL and theres a divorced couple sellin there house dwn the st from ours, "fairly" cheap BUT an absolute DISASTER inside wow!!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I didnt read everything here but,,,Are you trading in the Taco ? And if so try a smaller city or town...see what their prices are,,,,When i bought my 08 Chevy,Airdrie GM was only gonna give 7g for my 01 Dodge 1/2 ton,,I went home(Stettler) and Gm there gave me $13,500 for it,simply because trucks are very popular in a smaller town than the city,,,every kid or whatnot wants a truck,,,if ya know what i am saying,

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt read everything here but,,,Are you trading in the Taco ? And if so try a smaller city or town...see what their prices are,,,,When i bought my 08 Chevy,Airdrie GM was only gonna give 7g for my 01 Dodge 1/2 ton,,I went home(Stettler) and Gm there gave me $13,500 for it,simply because trucks are very popular in a smaller town than the city,,,every kid or whatnot wants a truck,,,if ya know what i am saying,

No! lol I would never trade it in that would be a mistake. Just to get you up to speed, Mike.. I am considering selling my Tacoma privately. I owe 25K on it, dealers are still trying to sell 09' Tacomas with low miles for around 35K still, privately around 32-34K, so I'm thinking I could get around 30K for it, make a little bit off it and put the difference on a down payment on a new truck. Currently considering Ford F-150 or Ram 1500. Kicker is I get pretty decent discount on Dodge vehicles through ATCO. So that's the situation. I may be able to upgrade to a newer, bigger truck for around the same I'm paying now monthly for my Tacoma, or maybe even less if I go with Dodge.

Toyboy.. I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you about Toyota resale value, and the fact that I'm pretty sure Tacomas are still the only truck on the market that holds resale value better than any other pickup. That could be different now, of course its hard to believe, but you'd be surprised how many people have made money back off their Tacomas. My buddy's family owns Sherwood Park Toyota and he's been the general manager there for several years and he said every year people who have leased Tacomas, quite a few will actually sell privately and make a few thousand back off a private sale rather then turn them in. Dealerships make even more, they have absolutely no problems leasing a new Tacoma off the lot for 40K, and if they turn them in 2 years later, they still have no problems selling or financing them 2 years old, with 50,000+km for 35-38K. It happens, its retarded really, but thats just Toyota resale for you. Particularily Tacoma..Tundra doesn't turn in the same kind of resale value (according to Toyota general manager). Also, Tacomas are high demand, a lot higher than I would even care to believe. When I bought mine, I wanted a 2010 and had to settle for a 2009 because I would have been on a 6 month or so waiting list just to get a 2010 TRD SR5 Sport. You basically had to pre-order them from the factory, and the only fully loaded quad cab TRD available thru the dealership was my buddy's demo so he gave it to me for about $4500 less then what he could have sold it for.

a bare bone 2012 Tacoma, no options, no TRD package..fawk all, is listed between 36-38K right now, TRD's aren't even in yet obviously because like every other year there will probably be a waiting list, but I'm thinking they will be listed for 42K or around there once they are able to get them and keep them in stock, and they will eventually drop in price as well.

Its ridiculous how overpriced they are, and I'm still torn between the decision of keeping my Tacoma or selling it. I really love the truck, I know it will probably run forever and barely cost me anything to maintain, and it will always hold some value, but using its resale value now to put me into a bigger truck, with even more options and towing capabilities is a definite option.. or do I wait another year to see what comes out next, or wait for the say the Ecoboost to come down in price... I dunno, very tough call. But I think i'll probably cry the day (if it ever comes) when someone else drives away in my Tacoma.. :( I dunno why I love that truck so damn much, but I do LOL. I'm sure I'll love a newer one too though..

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to argue that Toyota's don't hold their value as I have owned more than one for the same reason. I just see some discrepency with your numbers from what I have seen in my personal experience. But it seems to be a consistent difference ( 4K ) so I am going to chalk it up to different dealers.

Just priced a bare bones 2012 Taco double cab 4X4 V6 32K tax in OTD. 2012 Taco double cab V6 TRD sport 40K tax in OTD loaded close to the same as yours.

Price yours at what ever you want and I wish you luck in getting it but in my experience those looking for that kind of money for a used truck even in great shape may not be in for a quick sale. If you can wait until you sell the taco to buy the new one you are fine imho.

Top Bottom