Thinking About Upgrading to Full Size Half Ton...Best Bang for The Buck?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmm Titan has 317 hp and 385 ft/lbs of torque lol. It will haul just fine.
check out the payload compared to a ford, way lower, eco boost is 380 hp and 420ft/lbs the 5.0 is around 370hp and 390 ft/lbs.

yes your statement is correct the titan will haul but the F150 will haul azz. j/s

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ford 7500 off was on 2011's, 2012's were 5g. LD if you have any friends that work at ford you may be able to get the X-Plan price package. By having xplan i factory ordered an fx4 with nav, camera, moonroof, eco, max tow... got it for 2.5% over dealer invoice. Titan's will haul just about anything, but they like their fuel, if you want an ecoboost then i would go an find one, you won't be disappointed.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run a 99 ram 1/2ton, with a 318. truck was just a 2 wheel drive. I found for what I was using it for, it sucked. too hard to pull with, constantly getting stuck in stupid places. Feb of 2008 I picked up an 07 1 ton 4x4. best move ever. Because in the early new year they want to slash last years models, so they pulled 10,000 off the price. Anyways I paid 32,000 for a 2007 GMC 3500 6.0lt gas, single rear wheels, crew cab, long box 4x4. And I'm not a fan on having fancy gagets on vehicles because of the cost to fix. it had power locks, air tilt and cruise, am,fm, cd player. thats more then I need for options.Now I can tow a good deal, haul a good deal, and still get decent fuel milage. diesels can out pull it, but it does what I want. because it doesn't have duellies it does not feel like a big truck to park. The Wife has no issues taking it to town.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL ...........There is NO 0% financing if the cash price is cheaper !!! So many people fall for this, if the financing price is more than the cash price , guess what ? It is not zero percent, you just paid all the interest up front !!!

Financing $40,000 over 4 years @ 6% int will cost you over $5000 in interest so if your dealer offers you zero percent and charges you 2 , 3 or $4,000...you are still ahead. You need to do the math on each deal but you will find it is usually worth paying the fee to get the low rate.

Last edited:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just wanted to update everyone ...and thanks for all the opinions, suggestions, experiences and info...We decided to go test drive a Titan today for the hell of it had time to kill and..may have bought one :) put a deposit down anyway. We test drove a 2012 but bought a 2008 fully loaded 60,000 km $28,500 all in plus they are taking my Tacoma as trade, paying off the lease and im only paying GST on the Tacoma value (26000) and not the gst on the Titan so it works out that theyre basically giving me 27000 for my Tacoma which aint bad at all.The Titan is beautiful guess I can't post pics from my phone but it's white with way more chrome than my liking but I can live with chrome on the white. It looks good on that truck. It has beige leather interior and wood grain in the dash..umm every option we wanted except nav and back up camera (get one aftermarket) but it does have back up sensors, sunroof, heated seats, power pedals and seats, crew cab, dual zone climate.etc. It's decent and the price is right. Ya towing capacity is only 9500 lbs but still more than what we need.

It drove the same and interior same as the 2012. Actually the '08 had nicer interior color wise but they had very little differences.

Unfortunately the only way we could get the Ford we want is if we factory ordered it and its way over the budget. Basically anything brand new with ALL the options we really want is going to be over the budget. So we got a 3 year old truck, that we really like and has pretty much everything we wanted, really low km, and with an extended warranty and a small down payment my payments will be pretty much what I was paying for my '09 Tacoma

Last edited:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here she is: 2008 Titan LE - you can tell it was driven by an older couple (all the freakin chrome!!). It was actually older lady driven for the most part. The truck was originally bought from Sherwood Nissan brand new in fall of 2008, and they just traded it in the other day for an Armada. For 3 years old (technically 4 yes, but its only been "driven" for 3 years..) its pretty mint..leather/interior is in excellent shape, couldn't find any scuffs or dings on the exterior except the chrome billet on the bottom of the bumper had some chips, and that's about it.

Yeah I imagine its going to be a bit brutal on fuel mileage.. ohwell. Can't see it being much worse then any other big V8
2008titan1.jpg 2008titan2.jpg 2008titan3.jpg 2008titan4.jpg

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here she is: 2008 Titan LE - you can tell it was driven by an older couple (all the freakin chrome!!). It was actually older lady driven for the most part. The truck was originally bought from Sherwood Nissan brand new in fall of 2008, and they just traded it in the other day for an Armada. For 3 years old (technically 4 yes, but its only been "driven" for 3 years..) its pretty mint..leather/interior is in excellent shape, couldn't find any scuffs or dings on the exterior except the chrome billet on the bottom of the bumper had some chips, and that's about it.

Yeah I imagine its going to be a bit brutal on fuel mileage.. ohwell. Can't see it being much worse then any other big V8
View attachment 117987View attachment 117988View attachment 117989View attachment 117990

Congrats on the new ride,.. just remember one word "thirsty"

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
which years and models are you talking of......2012 their payloads are nearly identical with the 6.5' box the titan can haul 2153, and the f150 is 2080 with the 6.5 box. though on one site it did say they are upping that to 2500ishin the 2wd model....and if you want to go back into used models the titan is standard with 2062....to get the higher payload rating on the f150's you had to pay out the a$$ for the options and equipment to get that supposed 3000lb pay load.....looked into that when buying mine.....

also imo, i test drove everything when shopping for my truck, and i dont care what the #'s say on torque and hp, nothing i tested pulled like the titan off the line

mine managed to haul a truck camper and tow my boat at the same time with little issues.....had i have put air bags in there would have been no issues

check out the payload compared to a ford, way lower, eco boost is 380 hp and 420ft/lbs the 5.0 is around 370hp and 390 ft/lbs.

yes your statement is correct the titan will haul but the F150 will haul azz. j/s

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. Don't forget to give is a review in a bit after owning it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

van isle

Reaction score
I really don't think the mileage will be much worse the your taco was as the v6 4x4 are not that great on fuel.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Nice truck. Dont be fooled by what people say about fuel milage. The truck will get the same as any comparable truck with a v8 engine that size. Its a 5.6 liter. Its not gonna get good milage if you tow or if you mash the throttle all day which unfortunatley is fun. If you baby the throttle and drive in a sane manner, follow speed limits (haha who does that), it will surprise you. Until this year with all the new engine choices coming out (ecoboost, cylinder deactivation, etc.) all the brands are within the same milage. For your budget I think you made out awesome. I currently own a 2008 Pro4x loaded, have since new. It has been great to me. I am currently going to upgrade due to needing a bigger payload capacity and towing needs. Diesel is my only option for what I need. Nissan is supposed to be coming out with an all new titan for 2013-14...hopefully they come out with some good ideas with it becasue they really do make a solid truck.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks phatboy!

Yeah I'm not going to get worked up over the fuel mileage, I dont drive like an idiot but for a while I can see myself stomping on that thing it was very fun to drive hehe. I think I may wait to see how Plio makes out with the programmer on his Titan and if and when we get a trailer we might consider that just to help with fuel economy while towing. We still don't plan to exceed 5000lbs when we find a holiday trailer, which my Tacoma can tow, so the Titan shouldn't notice it much. The whole idea was to find a truck that was "best bang for the buck" as the title says, and I think we hit the nail on the head with this truck. Although yes, its a 2008 but 60,000 km and meticulously maintained it doesn't show its age at all. The only kicker with this one is that I'm going to pay a slightly higher interest rate then if I were to buy brand new, but were paying just under 30K for the truck, where if I had gotten a new one I'd be looking at roughly 45K. The payments are easily affordable this way for me, and I can opt for a shorter term since its a cheaper price and have it payed off quicker. I also didn't have to go through the ordeal of trying to sell my truck privately, and dump money into it to get it ready for sale (detailing and minor repairs). I did just put a brand new windshield in though. But honestly Nissan wasn't going to let us leave that building until they sold us their truck and bought mine. We almost had to walk away as they stopped budging but finally the manager was like.. "Fawk it! Its Christmas." and basically gave us what we wanted and adjusted the deal until we were happy. I'm walking away from my Tacoma, they're giving me $27000 for it I owe $26000, and we're walking out with a $28,500 deal on a super nice Titan that we both instantly fell in love with and it ended up having all the options and features we really wanted.

I will post more pics when I pick it up when I am back from holidays.

merry christmas everyone! Thanks again for all the helpful input :)

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes obviously the blackbook worth is much lower, and I dont necessarily think its "worth" 35K, I'm just using that figure based on what they are listed for used right now on todays market. I don't think its unreasonable to think I could get 30-33K for it. If dealerships are selling 2009 Tacomas for 33-35K I would atleast think 30K private deal is reasonable. I'd list it for about 34, and go from there. Either way, the point is, the truck holds its value well and I have the potential to make some money off it, considering what I could potentially get for it, vs what I owe on it. That's all i'm sayin.

"theyre basically giving me 27000 for my Tacoma"

nuff said

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"theyre basically giving me 27000 for my Tacoma"

nuff said

Not sure what you're getting at here? Yes I settled for 27K as a trade in, it was easy peasy - they paid off my entire lease plus added another $1000 on top of that to the deal, most dealerships wouldn't even come close to giving me 24k for the Tacoma as a trade. I probably could have still gotten 28-30 for it selling privately if I wanted a quick sale, but this was a seamless deal and I can walk away from it without losing anything. Keep in mind i'm also buying a $28,000 truck, not a $40,000 truck so I don't need to make the extra couple grand for a down payment. So this is entirely irrelevant now. The guy said they budged and gave me 27K for the Tacoma because they know they will turn around and sell it for about 32K after GST and all that crap, all good with me, now I dont' have to spend the time and money to get all the repairs and detailing done on it, its paid off and I got a wicked deal on a new truck. I still made money on this truck by trading it in, obviously not as much as I could have if sold privately...but I dont think many people would be able to do that with domestic vehicles.. nuff said..

So on another note just wanted to update you folks that the Titan comes home tonight, they were nice enough to throw in a new set of all season tires so its getting that done today and will pick up tonight after work. I decided to purchase an extended warranty that will cover up to 200,000 km or until 2018, so I likely won't be putting a programmer in it anytime soon, better to save my a$$ then be sorry I guess.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious now that I have my Titan, I am looking for towing feedback on this particular truck. Any feedback? Quite possibly buying my Dad's trailer, and it weighs about #4000 lb dry, I think GVWR is like #5600? But with two bikes, and gear, I'm curious how this thing will do. Its towing capacity is around 9500 lbs I think..

Just curious about other's feed back and experience with towing with a Titan :)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have towed a few titans but i was unaware they weighed that much lol i thought it was just all the mud on them.:p

phatboy07

Reaction score
The truck will do fine. Just like the other trucks dont be afraid to make it rev when your going up a hill. Its worse for gas milage but better for engine and tranny life. Test it out with it in drive just watch your tranny temp (It will be fine at this load no problem but being used you never know) You can use the manual shifter to downshift it as well just make sure you put it back lol. I have towed as high as 5000# and didnt have an issue whatso ever. I have seen my freind with an 08 LE long box tow around 8000# also did fine.

Top Bottom